Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Afan Skyline
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Went on Saturday, first time in almost 10 years and to say it has changed!

But thinking, the trails seem very worn in places, i am sure i heard that the trail would be reinstated after the wind farm was finished. But seeing how everything has shut down, pretty empty car park, and the way MTBing has changed. is it ever likely that a trail like Skyline would ever be renewed. The idea of going for a ride seems to have disappeared somewhat, the onus seems to be make MTB an extreme sport and wear loads of pads for the downhills. Climbs are to be endured nothing else, hence the way e-bikes are being pushed.

weeksy

Skyline was quite unique even when Afan was the go to place for more riders, it was long and remote. We were at the lower center on Friday and I still love the trails as much as I ever have. My favourite trail center of all.

Stupid.is
    Free Member

I was there with Weekesy as I would say the opposite. Yes it was quite, but they have done work to The Wall and added new trails etc so I think the investment is there. The nearer trails still have plenty of climbing in them, but without the remoteness. Having ridden Skyline while it was a bit of an adventure there was a lot of fire road and have not ridden it since as the reward didn’t warrent the effort. Maybe with tastes changing they have decided to focus funding elsewhere (Blade, Wall/W2 etc) if evidence shows that Skyline is not getting the use?

weeksy

I think it was too long for many? Must have been 4-5 hours? With that killer climb just before last descent! It’s Wales, so getting a good warm sunny day for 5 hours is almost impossible!

Stupid.is
    Free Member

I think you might be right. After all most people enjoy the social part of riding, including the mid point tea and cake. W2 has the break at which ever tea shop you didn’t start at while Skyline it was mangled sandwich on a section of fireroad in the wind/rain/snow/sun (delete as appropriate). Not quite as fun eh?

mrmo
    Free Member

I think it was too long for many? Must have been 4-5 hours? With that killer climb just before last descent! It’s Wales, so getting a good warm sunny day for 5 hours is almost impossible!

The snow yesterday certainly added a certain something…

Skyline it was mangled sandwich on a section of fireroad in the wind/rain/snow/sun (delete as appropriate). Not quite as fun eh

This is what i liked, it was remote, the old Karrimor at CyB was similar in some ways.

It was the shop and cafe looked shut up, all the trees gone, looked very much like the Glyncorrwg site was long past its prime. And wondering if it will get investment or whether the sport has moved on and trails like the Skyline won’t be done again?

Northwind

The top of skyline and the final descent is still there, the rest of it is permanently gone. TBH I just thought the surviving top loop was pointless though.

Apparently there’s more money to go to the trails Real Soon Now as part of the windfarm deal, not sure what’s happening with that. Some of the new build on Blade desperately needs work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Afan Skyline’ is closed to new replies.