• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Afan
  • bgd
    Free Member

Spending the week with family near Carmarthen and had planned a few days of riding. Due to a stinking cold and the bad weather riding time has been reduced to one day so need to make the most of it.
    Normally I ride at Brechfa when I’m here but fancy giving Afan a try and looking for recommendations as to the best trail or trails for a days riding.
    Cheers

greeble
    Free Member

I’d stick with Brechfa, considering the amount of harvesting and diversions in afan. Give it a month or so and the new trails will be open imho only then is it worth a visit
    http://www.cognation.co.uk/reopening-of-new-%E2%80%98penhydd%E2%80%99-trail-blue-graded

Maybe take a visit to cwm rheadr. But then if you’re heading from Carmarthen turn off the m4 and drive up the A465 and hit bikepark wales

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Seems you’ve done the others it would be a welcome change and a must to give afan a try, give whites level a go or w2. You won’t be disappointed.

misterlee
    Free Member

just a heads up. if your planning to go to afan between nov 11th and nov 14th, don’t bother. it will be closed for tree clearing work.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Brechfa.

peter1979
    Free Member

Y Wal at Afan has no diversions at the moment and was great fun to ride last weekend. Plus you have the bike park to try out at the top of the trail.

bgd
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Although I’ve ridden Brechfa a few times I’ve never ridden the Raven trail (or any other black trail). I’ve heard it’s not great after a lot of rain, is it worth a try or stick with the other two trails?

chopchop
    Free Member

Brechfa doesn’t handle wet weather as well as Afan IMO, but I would recommend a day at BPW which is about 1/2 hour further on than Afan in the direction you’d be going. Otherwise, W2 with a blast around the skills area is a decent day out.

chrispo
    Free Member

It’s only the bike park that is closed 11-14 November, not the XC trails

Wall, White’s or both – all lots of fun even with a few closures

chrispo
    Free Member

Re Raven
    It is muddier than the Gorlech and there will be a lot of puddles if it has been wet, but it is still rideable in all weather conditions, and if you can ride the Gorlech comfortably then you can ride the Raven. It’s not a very black trail. I think the blackness has more to do with the physical effort required than the technicality (everything is rollable bar the dropoff at the start of the double-orange bit, which you can just ride around). Definitely worth a shot, and if it’s not your cup of tea you’ll find out soon enough on the first black section and then you can carry on around the green and blue trails which are straightforward but still a real hoot.

rusty90
    Free Member

The first climb on the Raven can be a real pig when its wet, but you can always walk the worst bits. You will get wet and muddy (it’s been raining a lot here lately) but then that’s half the fun isn’t it?

DT78
    Free Member

Rode.brecfa on Sunday. Flithy conditions. Half way.round.I was wishing is gone to.afan.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Afan’ is closed to new replies.