Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • aerozine crank, err, issues
  • mije

sarcastic bystanders welcome…

i’ve had two sets of cranks (x12-fx) in the last 2 months, both not ridden much.

# chainsuck on inner and middle rings in the mud
    # both bottom brackets seized (and freed)
    # lh arm moved 90 degrees on landing a modest drop at the bikefest on sat – crash etc

superstar tell me they don’t have many problems with these cranks. i’m pretty sure that the pinch bolt undoes itself, as the one on the other bike was coming loose too.

so, how have others found these cranks?

not looking for a general superstar-bashing as i really like what they are trying to do – make the price of bits of metal less eye-watering, and their brake pads are a1.

but not convinced by these cranks

thanking you

rolfharris
    Free Member

I too had the superstar cranks and went through 3 sets before demanding my money back.

I know of 3 other people who have run them with the left hand crank coming lose, despite being fitted to SS torque settings.

Get the money back NOW while you still can. Whether the lovely neil gives it you or not is another matter…

Stoner
    Free Member

mine went back for warranty replacement as the crank arm kept falling off.
    I was polite but firm.
    Alledgedly “manufacturing tolerance issue”.
    More like “rubbish design issue” IMO
    It had a single pinchbolt and the new one that replaced it had a double pinchbolt (like XT)
    Now I believe they use a system like Race Face.
    BB seized too.

Sold replacement on eBay to a dutchman for more than I paid.
    Went to Middleburn.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did you fit them with the reccomended tool?

pushbikerider
    Free Member

<the octopron will be along shortly>

Well…

The pinch bolt came undone on mine (done up with allen key) surprisingly, after splashing £40 on a mini torque wrench and allen bits, nipping it up to 15Nm (think that’s right) did the trick and it’s not come lose since (didn’t the STW review mention the bolt coming undone?).

I’ll agree that it’s a dodgy design, and the fitting instructions it came with didn’t mention the torque value for the pinch bolt! Hopefully sorted with the new design.

Chainsuck? Mmm, I’d say no more than any other chainset I’ve used. I’ve had other SS chainrings – both middles and 3 ring sets which appear fine (and good vfm).

Bottom Brackets? Dogshite. Both the Aerozine and standard SS bb’s suck in water and seize at the drop of a hat! Now happily running a HOPE bb instead.

Other than that I’d got one of the first sets for £99 which was cracking value, they look good and are nice and light, don’t find them flexy but I’m not packing too many pies…

nina
    Free Member

mine came undone a lot and wobbled about. they were never fitted with a rock. i’m wary of ever buying cheap tat like that again.

mije

oddly had to get it off with a rock in order to continue the race…

interesting, chaps, interesting. i see a pattern…

cynic-al
    Free Member

*readies fire extinguishers*

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why? who you going to set on fire Al?

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

I have been running the x12-sl ti version for over a year with no problems other than a strange noise every now and then. *fingers crossed it stays that way*

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not me I’m worried about TJ, although I might flame you for suggesting that I wear lycra on my 22er ss 😡

jojoA1
    Free Member

Pinch bolt came undone with mine and the ‘knurling’ on the inside of the crank arm became rounded off. I was told that they would not be warrantied as they had not been fitted properly, to the required torque settings. No instructions as to torque settings were included with the cranks.

I was also told that the BB that I had bought had been jet washed and this is why it had seized after 3 months. Several of the brake pads that I bought from them came away from the backing plate. I am an unhappy, and very firmly ex, customer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Even tho it was an aerospace engineer that fitted it Jojo? It still came loose?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Indeed, even the best qualified technicians have no power over shoddy merchandise.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I miss fruit. He made these threads hilarious.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Superstar threads aren’t what they were!!

can we start a bring back Fruit campaign? a thread a day, part of your 5?

jojoA1
    Free Member

A glimpse of fruit at the WC last weekend was plenty towards my 5 a day.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Fruit’s an arse. Science fact.

trail_rat
    Free Member

jo on sight of neil at the world cup ….

turnip
    Free Member

Smells a bit mleh in here?

Never used them so i cant make up anything about them

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘aerozine crank, err, issues’ is closed to new replies.