Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Aero…..for comfort
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I like a flattish topped bar for road/gnarmac and was pondering upgrading my alloy bars to crabon fribe. So, am I being utterly foolish to look at something like this?

Overkill on the flatness?

momo

Not really, I’d personally bring the bar tape a bit further back than that, at least to the bend, it looks unfinished in that photo, but otherwise they look fine. As long as you don’t plan on using the tops then it wouldn’t be an issue.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I do use the tops, but perhaps because I have big hands* I prefer a wider top.

*Large gloves, etc.

legend
    Free Member

As long as you don’t plan on using the tops then it wouldn’t be an issue.

I think that’s exactly what he’s planning on doing?

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I’m the same. I prefer a flat-top bar (got them on my Diverge)

Went for the Alu Bonty ones:

Bonty Bars

Looking at Carbon ones like you’ve linked for my new Roubaix SL4 disc

EDIT – I run the tape to the “start” of the flat, so round the last bend. Seems comfy enough.

A

stumpy01

I can’t see that working particularly well…..taken to the extreme grip a ruler with the flat surfaces horizontal.

Can you not try that out in a shop before buying?
    I assume the reason for no bar tape on that portion of the bar is that it’s not designed to be gripped?

tomhoward

I have the exact setup you’re describing, more by accident than design, but I really like it.

Took bike in to shop to have the bars swapped to aero carbon ones (along with a load of other stuff), mechanic but new bar tape on but obviously his scissors had broken so he wrapped them to the normal position, covering the moar aero bits. Was a bit miffed but too excited to try out all the other stuff so went for a ride and it works pretty well as a hand rest when climbing, as if I’m on the tops I’m not really gripping the bars just using them as a prop to stop me falling off the front.

Does mean it’s not quite as aero though…

finbar
    Free Member

I spent a horrendous amount on some flat-topped Bontrager aero road bars.

I found them comfortable in the shop / for short periods, but for long rides my fingers got really tired gripping them. I’ve gone back to normal round bars now.

I do climb on the tops a lot though – YMMV…

aP
    Free Member

My best road bike has 3T Ergonova Team bars which are “mediumly flat” on the tops. I like them taped like a normal bar, with Fi’zik medium thickness grippy tape.

Haze

I went with the more sublety profiled Zipp Contour SL.

Really liked the look of the SL-70 but look a bit daft on anything but an aero frame.

tomhoward

I spent a horrendous amount on some flat-topped Bontrager aero road bars.

Thems the ones I got 😆

RobHilton
    Free Member

Doubles as post-ride recovery snack

andysmiff1
    Free Member

^

Love it!!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just going to leave these here

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 @robhilton

Interesting experience above, folks. Thanks. LBS have some Aerofly and 3t to play around during with, so will see.

DR, go straight to hell. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.

bluebird
    Free Member

I recently fitted a set of Deda superzero bars. Tape is wrapped past the hoods / half way around bend, so just a bit more than in your photo, but not on the the flats. They are super comfy when riding on the outer corner of the bars or the tops. I’m really pleased with them.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

DR, go straight to hell. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.

I’ve got a pair, however i didn’t fit them, i went with ENVE SES on my Allez Sprint

ill do them cheap 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do. Not. Want.

😉

Tape isn’t the issue here, more the shape.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

DR – how cheap is cheap?

Email in profile…….

A

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought it was silliness, but I ended up with some alloy flat topped bars, and then when I re-fitted some old round ones to my PBS (parts bin special, I’m creating a new STW acronym) they felt awful.

I don’t really grip the flat topped part (which is taped), I rest my palms on it. This I find really comfy, which is why I miss it with the round ones.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have Cinelli palms, my lbs/former boss gave me them cheap 6 years ago.

They are comfy but I’ve not changed my other road bars which see as much use.

bluebird
    Free Member

Tape isn’t the issue here, more the shape.

Sorry I probably wasn’t very clear, what I meant is they are very comfy whether you’re resting on a taped bit or not. So, you can tape partially or fully as you fancy. I think it’s the large flat area to spread the load that helps with the comfort.

They also make me .008 faster, honest.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Aero…..for comfort’ is closed to new replies.