Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • A&E or MTFU
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Came off my bike commuting last week, Hit the tarmac hard on my knee, Really hard.
    Carried on into work and struggled through the last 8 days. The wound has scabbed over but the knee cap itself feels odd, kind of ‘ridgey’?
    Very sore to touch still, cant kneel down, I can walk on it ok, but no jumping or running. Havent had a chance to rest it yet. So the wife wants me to go get it checked out, I tried NHS phone line but they never called back. Any one had something similar, any one a DR?
    I have no mediacl knowledge on knee caps, If its BAD then surely I wouldnt be able to stand or walk?
    Ps it still swollen and hurts like hell, but still cycling.

druidh
    Free Member

Go to A&E

hels
    Free Member

Minor Injuries clinic near you ? These are better IMHO, you don’t keep getting queue-jumped by 4 car pile-ups on the motorway.

poisonspider
    Free Member

MTFU

DaRC_L

Ermmm GP – then go to A&E if they tell you.
    A&E is for emergency’s – so if you’ve been hobbling around for 8 days it’s hardly that
    (sorry I’ve been indoctrinated by my ex-A&E nurse wife & friends)

tragically1969
    Free Member

If you can walk on it then it must be OK ? *

* I am not a Doctor so indeed may be talking rubbish……

Speshpaul

I wouldn’t bother A&e they have real injuries to deal with like kids with sourcepans on their heads.
    So why don’t you spend the xmas break building your own x-ray machine, then you can check it out yourself.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DO NOT GO TO A&E. It is not urgent

Its more than a week old. GP time or minor injuries clinic.

A&E is not for stuff that you can live with for a week or more. The A&E at the hospital I trained in just turned folk away if the symptoms were more than 3 days old.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Havent had a chance to rest it yet? There’s your problem. Stop being a muppet and rest the thing or it will never heal.

druidh
    Free Member

When I had a sore finger, I waited about 10 days and then went to the GP. He took one look at it and told me to go to A&E. I was in a ward the next day having an operation.

poisonspider
    Free Member

In all seriousness, you’re not going to get a diagnosis on here 🙄
    but in my experience of breaking stuff (which is quite extensive) I can always tell something is not right, it feels ‘different’ to just a ‘normal’ injury.

I’ve boken my knee before and walking was definitely not an option. I’d give it a few more days and if no better see a GP (who will more than likely refer you straight to the fracture clinic for an x-ray)

bassspine
    Free Member

when I had a suspected broken wrist last year , I MTFU’d for a week, then went to my GP, who sent me to A&E. I do understand it not being an emergency but how else do you get into the queue…

philconsequence
    Free Member

set fire to it then call an ambulance… you’l be at the front of the queue 😆

Dino
    Free Member

As above chap 😛

poisonspider
    Free Member

The GP should be able to refer you straight to the fracture clinic without going through A&E although you would need to wait for an appointment. A&E is the fastest route to an x-ray.

samuri
    Free Member

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Right, GP it is then.
    I knew I could rely on you guys to sort me out.
    Even the wierdos.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve boken my knee before and walking was definitely not an option.

When I broke mine I drove home and drank some beer to make the pain go away (it didn’t work). Then I took my son to football the next day. When I banged it against the door frame of the car I passed out.

On awakening I thought I should probably go and see someone so they could give me some stronger pain killers. I did after all have work in the morning. SO I watched my son have his football game and then I drove to the hospital. I didn’t see my house for four days.

poisonspider
    Free Member

To be fair, (and I’m not trying to sound like a blacker-dog, honest) I did mine half way down a mountain in Morzine. Managed to ride to the bottom of the hill, up a cable car and down the other side, allong the road to the digs in Les Gets, got pissed, went disco dancing and 10 pin bowling then went to the medical centre the day after. That was the end of my holiday only 2 days in 😥

Lionheart
    Free Member

Broke my collar bone two weeks ago, sore at first but swollen and so held together and I did not go to A&E or Docs. Was away for a few days, swelling went down and the bone separated – hurt like hell then so went to see GP. He sent me straight to A&E with skip the queue ticket, in, 5 mins wait, off to X-ray 2 mins wait, to doc seen immediately confirmed broken so go to fracture clinc…. next week and try not to use it in the mean time.

Sort of immpressed with the service but nothing here has changed 🙄

Answer to your question – Go to GP

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – you did the correct thing. The GP is the person to go to – they can then make decisions based on real knowledge.

As lionheart says you get a “skip the queue” ticket and the ortho reg or whoever is appropriate will be informed you are coming – or that is how it should work.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LOL @ Samuri

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Spoke to Dr on the phone Friday, she wrote an xray ticket for me to use on Monday.
    No bone damage, saw a physio who said I have done a little damage to the cartalidge and ligaments, and also burst the protective sack that covers my knee cap. HOWEVER, she then said it aint gonna get any worse so keep cycling because it’ll make it heal stronger.
    RESULT.
    Now I have an 8 week card to do copious amounts of cycling under doctors orders.

poisonspider
    Free Member

So the correct answer to your original question was indeed, MTFU!

wwaswas

I prefer an ‘informed MTFU’ over an ‘it’ll be ok, won’t it? MTFU’ personally.

poisonspider
    Free Member

wimp! 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

monkeyfiend – that sounds a lot like my knee when I fell into a skate bowl last year. Came up like a balloon and felt like someone was trying to set fire to it when trying to ride my BMX (was fine except when hyper-flexing). Tried to get a docs appointment but same old story – nothing for the next two weeks 🙄 so I wtfu’d (wrongly) assuming it’d be better by then. I kept cycling though and although it was impossible to kneel on for a month or two it’s absolutely fine now (bit fatter than the other one, but hey . . . 😆 )

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

sounds pretty much spot on mamadirt,
    Told to keep moving it but no kneeling or squating (and dont fall off again).

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm. When the system works, it works very well, but sometimes a bit of arm-waving and stomping of feet is needed.

I fell off some slimy north shore stuff in Chopwell Woods earlier this year. I had a bit of a ‘fuzzy’ moment and afterwards my neck hurt like hell. Gave it a few days and the pain was only getting worse so went off to the GP. He told me I may have broken my neck, so I went straight up to the local drop in clinic and was x-rayed the same day. They told me they’d send the results to my GP within three working days.

Fast forward three weeks and still no x-ray results so I went back to the clinic, shouted a bit, stomped my feet and the x-rays miraculously appeared two days later.

Arthritis was the diagnosis – was advised I’d need to get physio and an appointment was made. Sadly though, the first available appointment wasn’t for nearly three months. By the time I got there (four months after the injury) my neck wasn’t even tender and the physio asked me why I was wasting her time if I felt better!!! GAAAARH!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘A&E or MTFU’ is closed to new replies.