Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice…unauthorised card use
  • spooky_b329

Just received a couple of emails, one from a shop thanking my for my order, and one from RBS Worldpay confirming my payment. Have emailed the company but they closed at 5pm.

Neither of the emails give me the card number used, so about to start trawling through all my online statements to find it. Its only a £12 transaction, I know they often test the card details on low value items.

When I find the card, what are my next steps. I guess its just inform the bank or credit card company to stop my card and re-issue it? Is there anything else I should do…I don’t think RBS Worldpay have any passwords to change, they are just a checkout service if I remember correctly…punch in the card details and thats it?

uplink
    Free Member

Why haven’t you simply called the card issuer to confirm details etc?

alanl
    Free Member

Ring up your bank, or the number on the card, the Fraud/security lot are usually available at all times.
    Tell them what has happened, and your card will be stopped.
    PITA, but you need to stop it immediately.
    I’ve had it twice over the last couple of years, both from online shops who had had their computers hacked into. WTF they have to keep my card details is beyond me – I told them to delete any trace of my being on their site, and I’d tell anyone else about their lax computer security – so, dont order from Hannants Models, and Rapid Guns.
    Alan

5lab

phone the bank, cancel your card. Are you sure that you/the OH haven’t bought from the shop in the last month (sometimes these emails only get sent when the item is dispatched). It’d seem odd of a fraudster to use your email address whilst ripping you off!

spooky_b329

Pretty sure we haven’t bought from them…though its not impossible. It is the other halfs details, she rang me from the train as she can check her emails on her phone (only a cheap one so can’t investigate properly.

It will have to wait til she gets home as she has two current accounts, and we have several credit cards although only a couple in regular use, and she knows all the log in details!

I’m wondering if Worldpay check the email addy to the card hence them using her email address. Its from a place selling rubber stamps.

uplink
    Free Member

Are you sure they’re not just phishing emails?

spooky_b329

Well I’ve emailed asking the shop to confirm its a genuine email, and the RBS email is just a receipt, doesn’t have any links that ask you to log in to anything.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Yep, i’ve had loads the same, its a phishing attempt most likely but still worth checking.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Cancel the card immediately if you are suspicious. RBS fraud department called me just before Christmas about questionable transactions of small value, turns out my account had been scammed for the second time in 12 months!!

spooky_b329

If its a phishing attempt, what are they phishing for? No requests to log in to any websites so how do they expect to get any of my details.

toys19
    Free Member

what are the reply to addresses?

spooky_b329

reply to addresses are correct, though I googled the shop and typed in the addy rather than hitting reply.

Nothing showing on any of the cards that we use, might take a day or so to show up so will have to sit it out for now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice…unauthorised card use’ is closed to new replies.