Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Advice/help re burton snowboard bindings
  • goofyfoot
    Free Member

Right be gentle… Old man requires advice from snowboarders on Stw.
    In short I have a pair of cartel bindings circa 2005 .After blowing off the dust and digging out my pension book I have decided to use them in anger once more , however just noticed they are missing a flad lever….. Forward lean assist something or other .Anyway Burton can’t help. So the question is do I need to replace it , if so any spares knocking around on line or in your drawer or is it functional without.
    thanks.

GrahamS

What happens without the lever? Is the highback left loose and floppy?

If so then you probably need something, but you might not require adjustability if you already know how you like your forward lean. So a well-placed self-tapping screw or a bolt might do the job?

Failing that – buy some new bindings. Tech has moved on a fair bit in the past 10 years!

ads678

If you like a bit of forward lean then the lever is useful. If you’re not bothered then ride without it, unless it one of the locking ones. Although I removed the locking bit off my missions as it meant you couldn’t drop the high back when getting on a lift.

Have a look on eBay for an old set and buy them for spares, don’t have to be cartels as a lot of the parts are generic.

Speeder

Tech has moved on a fair bit in the past 10 years!

Really?! Current Burton bindings look almost identical to mine of that approx vintage. Only real change is they’re using less fixings and that’s the 27.5/650B of snowboarding.

Def this

Have a look on eBay for an old set and buy them for spares, don’t have to be cartels as a lot of the parts are generic.

Though you’ll probably find you can replace the bindings for not too much outlay.

vintagewino
    Free Member

They got rid of the clip thing that locks the highback into place because it doesn’t really do much and I think also contributes to baseplates cracking and highbacks getting whacked by chairlifts. You can run a bit of forward lean even without the lever if you put a short screw in there instead (think they are 5mm or maybe 4mm) as long as you have the plastic spacer bit still. or just get some new HBs but the EST ones won’t fit your baseplates.

GrahamS

Really?! Current Burton bindings look almost identical to mine of that approx vintage.

I don’t know about Cartels – but certainly a lot of other bindings seem to have got lighter, introduced different flex patterns, and added comfort things like dampening on the foot bed and adjustable toe ramps.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yeah bindings have got a hellavulotbetterer Union FTW

jimdubleyou

yeah bindings have got a hellavulotbetterer Union FTW

Have they got so good that I won’t get sore feet after ten minutes?

(Still rocking Cartels from c2007-8 for the one week a year I actually get to go away).

raify
    Free Member

Can you post a pic of what you’re missing? I’ve got an old pair of Burton bindings of the same era, might be able to send you the missing bit.

GrahamS

Have they got so good that I won’t get sore feet after ten minutes?

I suffered with sore feet for years.

Two things helped enormously:

1) getting better boots/bindings that fit me well.

2) sorting out my technique (i.e. unlearning my 90’s style swishy forward-facing riding and learning a more modern centered planted style)

I do sometimes still get sore feet after four or five days of riding, especially if it is icy or I am stuck on bashed hard pistes all the time, but it is much better than it used to be.

ddmonkey

Union Flite Pro FTW! 🙂

jimdubleyou

2) sorting out my technique (i.e. unlearning my 90’s style swishy forward-facing riding and learning a more modern centered planted style)

Somebody tried to teach me this – I kept falling over. More perseverance required obviously 😀

russ295
    Free Member

Sore feet is generally technique and ill fitting boots/over tightening the binding straps.

stevomcd
    Free Member

As above, post a pic and I might have something that’ll sort you out in my crate of knackered snowboard bindings.

GrahamS

Somebody tried to teach me this – I kept falling over. More perseverance required obviously

Yeah stick with it. One other benefit is that a neutral duck-stance makes riding switch far easier.

I also found riding switch a good way to get used to the new stance as you have a bit less “muscle-memory” that way.

Well worth picking up a copy of the Neil McNab book if you are still as stuck in the past as I was:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405315741

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

doesnt everyone get sore feet for the first ten minutes, then you warm up…

stevomcd
    Free Member

It takes me a good 3-4 weeks into the season for my feet and legs to feel strong.

I have no idea how I used to cope with doing a 1-week holiday.

goofyfoot
    Free Member

7EEDC1B7-A570-4CB9-BFBA-3E601C434A97

goofyfoot
    Free Member

Thanks to all who have contributed …. Trying to load photo re missing lever and having a mare !

goofyfoot
    Free Member

Raify and stevomcd , any chance you can email me (in profile) so I can send you pics direct ? …. Not signed up to an image hosting site so can’t post on forum .thanks

GrahamS

Use http://postimage.org/ – no sign up required.

Speeder

Yeah stick with it. One other benefit is that a neutral duck-stance makes riding switch far easier.

I also found riding switch a good way to get used to the new stance as you have a bit less “muscle-memory” that way.

Well worth picking up a copy of the Neil McNab book if you are still as stuck in the past as I was

Found the book/DVDs really hard to understand for some reason. I’m lucky enough to have been on one of the early McNab courses and it made a lot more sense how he used to teach it in person. Whatever though I’m sure once you get used to staying centred and “steering” with the front foot it’ll be night and day better than the “French way”. (I’m sure the French don’t teach that way these days.

Good luck

GrahamS

Found the book/DVDs really hard to understand for some reason.

The only thing I struggled with was that the book is all written as a goofy rider (probably not an issue for the OP!).

I made myself a little cut-out snowboard with the equivalent A-B-C-D for a regular rider, so I could easily refer to it when reading the book. That helped me visualise it a lot better.

raify
    Free Member

goofyfoot: I’ll post something up tonight.

goofyfoot
    Free Member

right binding without lever[url=http://postimg.org/image/qsnrgbq8b/b2133773/]left with lever[/url]

goofyfoot
    Free Member

fingers crossed …link should show pics and hopefully explain the issue

GrahamS

See the “Direct Link” text, hit the “Copy to Clipboard” button next to that then hit the IMG button on here and paste it in:

GrahamS

Can you still adjust the height of that white bit, possibly by loosening the black screw/bolt?

If so then what you have looks like it will work fine to me.

raify
    Free Member

That’s exactly what’s on my old bindings. I’ll dig them out of the loft tonight and check they’re still OK to use.

bearGrease

Did you call Burton Rider Service on 00800 287 866 13? They’re usually pretty good with spares.

goofyfoot
    Free Member

cheers Raify, I f you’re happy to post email me and I ‘ll happily throw you a few quid.

beargrease: Yep, in fairness were quick to respond but don’t carry spares for anything that old I was told .

raify
    Free Member

I can’t figure out how to private message you Goofyfoot. Send your post address to nathanjamesrobinson (AT) yahoo DOT co DOT uk

I’ll stick them in a jiffy bag.

goofyfoot
    Free Member

raify: email sent .thanks

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Advice/help re burton snowboard bindings’ is closed to new replies.