Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice – Trying out wider bars and stem on a budget
  • bertypreston1
    Free Member

Hi. I want to try out wider bars and stem on my stock orange 5 but dont want spend £200 to find its not for me.

Ive sourced some 2nd hand 740mm fat bar lites (i currently have the orange supercross at 680mm and 80mm stem) but also looking a cheap stems. Truvativ husslefelt at £24 should bring the experiment in at £55 on total.

Question(s) is 40mm or 50mm also any suggestions for alternative cheap but ok stems?

Thanks in advance Rob

shifter
    Free Member

I’m using a 45mm Race Face Respond on my gnarly est bike. S’alright. Was less than 40 quid.

sirromj

Superstar Zephir stem hasn’t killed me yet… but they’re short of certain colour/length combos.

Funn Full On wide bars on CRC £21.

andyl
    Free Member

Spotted this in the classifieds: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-hope-50mm-stem-and-easton-havoc-bars

Nothing to do with me, just saw it and thought it might be of use. I went to 55mm from 70mm when I went wider and it’s perfect. I would think going down to 40mm might be a bit too far and start to make the reach too small if you are currently happy with the 80mm. worst case if you buy 2nd hand then you will lose out a few £ on the postage.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Superstar have 25% off this month, stems for £7.50 and bars around £15 iirc

cookeaa

Wooly hat shop/Exotic stems are cheap and cheerful, scour ebay there’s cheap stems galore on there.

bertypreston1
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, yep 40 maybe a step too far too soon. Thinking 50mm now (the truvativ was actually 40 or 60). I have the bars ready and watching a few 50mm stems on ebay but doubtfull i will get any of them under £25 inc postage. If all else fails any one ratethe PRO FRS stem at £24 on tredz??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice – Trying out wider bars and stem on a budget’ is closed to new replies.