Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • advice to get myself into gear
  • dogbert
    Free Member

Been sitting here for hours faffing about on the net even though i promised myself I’d go out on the bike.

This has become a daily thing when not at work (i only work 3 days a week) where I sit about for hours and can’t get myself moving.

I do suffer from depression so reckon that’s linked, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting out of this funk?

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

I have EXACTLY the same problem.

My advice to myself was to break it down into manageable steps

1. Get bike clothes on.
    2. Get bike bag.
    3. Get water.
    4. Get bike.
    5. ‘Check’ bike.
    6. Go.

Having said that, it doesn’t actually work for me, but it might well for you!! 😉

Good luck, dude; hope your funk doesn’t drag you down too much.

Hohum
    Free Member

You have developed a bad habit that needs breaking and I think we all have been guilty of that.

I don’t know where you are in the country, but the sun is out up here and it looks lovely albeit cold ad I would love to be going out for a ride right now.

One way to motivate yourself would be to go out for a ride now and then come back and let us now how excellent it was and make all of us currently in work at the moment extremely jealous 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

I am often not motivated to ride. Personally I can only ride the same trails so many times.

Can’t offer much else apart from do something different.. car/train out somewhere new? All day epic exploration?

VanHalen

step away from the computer and do something else.

just like TV the internet sucks your soul dry.

Garry_Lager

Make sure the faff-ritual of getting ready for a ride is at an absolute minimum if not cut out completely.
    Basically like dandelion says, so you get dressed, get the bike and hit the road.

toab
    Free Member

Shortest possible time between deciding to ride and getting out there – don’t think about it, just get changed, pack your kit, get on the bike and go.

Keep the bike ready and keep your spares etc ready in your backback or whatever which saves a bit of time. That way when you get the urge you use it before you start thinking about it being cold / wet / something better on the telly etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

The annoying Nike slogan is actaully amazinly good advice.

Just do it.

I.e. don’t think about it.

My own edited version goes ‘Just f’in do it!’

Hohum
    Free Member

I need to motivate myself and buy a roof rack so that I can become a bit more mobile and find some new trails.

I may even think about joining some groups, there is a club at my new work and some forum members near to me also arrange rides which interest me.

Cycling with other people will be a big change for me as I have always cycled on my own. I am not anti-social but I have not found anyone living around me who goes out when I do.

Keva
    Free Member

if you know you’re not working the following day then make plans the night before that you’ll be riding first thing in the morning.

have everything ready ready and the bike ready so all you do is get up have breakfast then go. When you get back you can waste the rest of the day on the internet.

Kev

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘advice to get myself into gear’ is closed to new replies.