Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Advice – Shimano MTB cassette on Road CX wheels ?
  • christoff
    Free Member

OK…genesis Vagabond, shimano 10sp MTB groupset 11-36 MTB cassette

got some Pro-lite disc wheels …700c / road CX

will the cassette fit as essentially its a road hub ..right ?

actually i have fitted it and the only issue is the hub is 11speed but has a additional spacer for use with 10 speed
    sorted ? well not quite as when i use the spacer ( think its 2mm ) the cassette lock ring will not do up or engage with the threads ( just spins ) if i take the spacer off there is too much play

i have used a thinner spacer ( comes with Shimano road cassettes ) but question is the road free hub shallower than an MTB hub which is why the lock ring won’t work with

P20

11spd mtb is the same width as 9/10/11. Road 11 is wider. So 11spd road won’t fit mtb. 11spd mtb will fit with spacer on 11spd road hub

christoff
    Free Member

thanks.. i have 10speed MTB cassette on an 11 speed road hub with a 10 speed spacer option….if that makes sense ?

scotroutes

That’s it.

jonnyboi

Unless I’m mistaken it’s a 135mm hub required for that frame which is standard mtb width?

Are you putting a 130mm road hub in it?

antigee

assuming 135mm spacing not an issue – CX disc wheels most commonly 135 because until recently nothing else available?

I recently looked this up and was successful though you do need to jiggle the cassette and spacers a bit to get the lock nut engaged

for my 11speed hub (Kinesis branded) 10speed shimano 11-34

needs 2 spacers a 1.85mm which should come with the wheels or can buy reasonably easily plus a 1mm spacer which comes with the cassette

christoff
    Free Member

thanks all, no issues with spacing as def 135mm ( std disc hub )

I have put the 1mm which actually with lock ring really tight seems to hold the cassette with no play so hopefully fine.

was just a bit confused as to the why the spacer that came with the wheels ( specifically for the 10speed option ) was essentially too big and meant the cassette was too ‘high’ therefore the lock ring was unable to ‘bite’ on the hub thread…if that makes sense ??

jonnyboi

ahh, when you said road hub I assumed you meant 130mm.

so yes it’s just putting in the correct sized spacer for the hub/cassette combo you are using as you’ve done.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Advice – Shimano MTB cassette on Road CX wheels ?’ is closed to new replies.