Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Advice required – 2007 Trek Fuel EX9.0 vs. 2010 Giant Anthem X4
  • neninja
    Free Member

Hi all

Your advise would be very much appreciated. I have the opportunity to buy one of 2 2nd hand bikes.

One is a 2007 Trek Fuel EX 9.0 – carbon frame, full XT, Talas RL fork, RP23 shock – well used but recently had new rings, cassette, bb, chain, pivot bearings – it would be £1000

The other is an almost new 2010 Giant Anthem X4 – only been used a handful of times – this would be £850

I've test ridden a 2009 Anthem X3 and loved it so I know I'll enjoy that bike but the Trek is very tempting for it's better spec.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Trek is made in washinton in USA so u no it will b awsum qwality and good weldig but gient is chinase so qwality mite not b so awsum lik trek but u shud try ridding then 2 c if u lik them

neninja
    Free Member

Hi Mark
    Thanks – will hopefully be test riding the Trek tonight.

Hoping for feedback from people who ride either bike for strengths and weaknesses of each.

pinches
    Free Member

giant's are made in Taiwan.

also, how can the welding be quality on a carbon frame? 😀

Both very highly rated bikes, i've only ever riden an anthem X2, it was very good all round, quite tight geometry but certainly climbed well.

test both and see how you get on

neninja
    Free Member

Cheers

This will be my first full suspension purchase.

Currently ride a custom built Giant XTC Composite – the Anthem X seemed to have similar ergonomics so I felt immediately at home on it when I test rode one (even with the Tora forks on the one I tried).

Obviously the test ride tonight will help decide. Is there anything to especially look out for on used full sus bikes?

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

anthem is a fantastic bike. can be used for xc/enduro raceing to super techey trail riding all with great ease. best full sus i have ever owned.

warpcow
    Free Member

I'd forget the Trek personally. If it's the 2007 model then it was the last run of an already dated suspension design. Post-2008 is the good one: full-floater, abp, etc. It might be all nice and 'Made in the US' but it's just can't compare to more modern designs.

sslowpace
    Free Member

You can get a new Anthem X3 for £849 from Pauls cycles on titnternet.
    09 frame, but thats the same as 2010 anyway.

Anthem here, and I love mine.

neninja
    Free Member

That was my thinking, that despite the higher spec of the Trek, the Anthem X would have a better suspension design.

It's for XC and trail use – I would love a 2nd hand 09 X1 or X2 but there simply aren't any around used. I guess that says it all really.

I was already leaning towards the Giant as I know it fits me really well.

neninja
    Free Member

Sadly all the X3's at Pauls have now gone in a small frame – only XL left

nuke

I was trying to decide between an EX and Anthem X and end up with EX. Anthem X is a great bike but is still more racy (steeper HA, low BB, shorter travel) where as I think the EX is a better all rounder and that's what swayed it for me in the end. If you're riding is more XC, race then then Anthem X…if it's more technical singletrack, jumps, all dayers, trail centre then the EX imho.

However after saying all that, given the Trek is an older model, I'd also agree with what Warpcow said.

warton
    Free Member

I've got a 2008 EX9 for sale if you're interested? Not carbon, but loads of upgrades. Hope X2s, thomson, hope hoop etc etc email in profile if interested…

vrapan
    Free Member

If you would like a very trail worthy Anthem X stick a decent 5" fork and you really have it all. I built mine up from a new 2010 frame and some bits and it is one heck of a bike 🙂

llamafarmer
    Free Member

The Anthem is so much more than just a race bike – take it to a trail centre and it'll destroy almost anything else on the climbs and then give any trail bike you fancy a run for its money on the way back down. It'll make you grow horns 😈

njee20
    Free Member

I had a 2007 Ex 9.5, and it was an awesome bike, I'd have another one definitely. Admittedly they've now changed to the ABP design, but they were still awesome bikes.

They're also made in Wisconsin, not Washington Mark.

neninja
    Free Member

That's for all your feedback folks.

warton's EX9 sounds perfect just to throw a proper spanner in the works.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

good weldig

On a carbon frame?

Anyway. Trek, hands down. I've ridden both and the Trek wins every time. It's impossible to ride that bike badly.

Also the EX is a 5" bike, the Anthem is 4". What do you want the bike to do?

rOcKeTdOg

warpcow is spot on. the abp fuels ride so much better than the old design, of the two i'd go giant (or wait for a new design trek)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The 2007 Trek is essentially a single pivot, so if people say its dated then so are Orange Fives, Scott Sparks, SC Superlights, Konas etc etc.

I've got a 2007 Fuel Ex 9.0 and its a light frame for 5". Its light, nimble and pedals pretty well. I doubt the ABP is massively massively better despite the hype.

neninja
    Free Member

I bought a 2010 Anthem X4 in the end.

Got a load of goodies to fit to it – some new, some from another bike – XT crankset M770, XT Shadow rear mech, SLX shifters, Formula K18 brakes and rotors, KNC X9L, Thomson seatpost and stem, Next SL carbon bars, Stans Olympic wheelset (weighed at 1500g with Dirty Dan 2.0's run tubeless with Stans yellow tape (light for a mud tyre at 460g) and KCNC ti skewers – just need an XT cassette and I'll be sorted.

I've not weighed it yet but I hoping for around 23lbs – will have to see.

vrapan
    Free Member

Piccies when it's ready 😉

neninja
    Free Member

Will do

Just the XT crankset and front mech to fit and the Formula hoses to be cut down a bit shorter and it'll be done.

Did a couple of hours on tracks and bridleways this afternoon and was very pleased with it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Advice required – 2007 Trek Fuel EX9.0 vs. 2010 Giant Anthem X4’ is closed to new replies.