Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Advice requested – WTB Laserdisc Trail any good? (warning tubeless content)
  • whatgoesup

Someone at my work is selling a brand new 29″ WTB laserdisc trail singlespeed rear wheel for £50, ideal for my SS bike maybe, but I’ve read that they can be tricky to set up tubeless.

Any experiences, good or bad here?

(As the nice chap that (I like to think) I am, if anyone wants to buy them off him then email me on markwsf at gmail dot com and I’ll put you in touch with him for second dibs.)

whatgoesup

no-one?

zerocool

The 26 version is one of the most indestructible trail wheel sets I’ve ever owned

Ewan
    Free Member

I have the 26version. Good and strong, but almost impossible to tubleless on account of the central channel.

13thfloormonk

…aaaaaand just to muddy the waters slightly, I ran them, and ran them tubeless, no more bother than other tubeless rims to set up I found. I guess the wee shoulder between the rim channel and the bead channel could be difficult to overcome, might just need extra soapy water?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

As above, the 26″ version.

The channel needed foam tape to build it up, which added to the faffage of tubeless.

whatgoesup

Thanks everyone, good to hear some real world experiences.
    I might just go for this wheel then

philtricklebank

I have WTB Speed Discs XC running tubeless no problems with Stans conversion kits, but I don’t know if the cross section is the same as Laser Discs.

continuity
    Free Member

I have laserdisc trails running on my Giant Trance tubeless with two layers of gorilla tape and bmx valves.

They’re holding air and have without getting a flat for approx 4months now and haven’t burped aside from a 7ft drop off (when I sent the bridge drop at llandegla a bit too gnar – I didn’t know where it was and came flying into it and landed to flat) (and then only a tiny bit I didn’t bother pumping again).

They were a khvnt to inflate though (despite soap, new track pump, holding sides e.t.c e.t.c), until I make a ghetto tubeless inflator then they popped on like a charm. They didn’t leak much through the sidewalls, if any noticeable whatsoever.

They generally have a very big bead hook that holds things well.

As to strength, I’m running Maxxis Advantage Folding (500g single-ply non-ust tyre) on these. I have all this time. These have survived a trip to the alps (on the aforementioned 120mm trance, chasing people on 180mm bikes with flows downhill) including a ludicrously steep and rocky 1hr descent from 1600m above lake geneva (and 2k above sea), and by the end of the trip they were only running a mm out of true.

All in all, I doubt I’ll replace them until they explode, which doesn’t seem like it’s going to be very soon despite cack handed riding.

The only problem is that mine are silver and it looks a bit gash.

sv

Mine run tubeless no problem.

Brown
    Free Member

Not strictly relevant, but I’m using WTB Speed discs and find them the easiest rims I’ve owned to set up with the BMX tube/Stans system.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Advice requested – WTB Laserdisc Trail any good? (warning tubeless content)’ is closed to new replies.