Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Advice Please Which Gear Cables ?
  • santacrews
    Free Member

I,m at my witts end with gear cables !

I have to replace mine again and wondered what the general consensus is on the best quality cables are to adorn my ride.

Baring in mind its Winter i would appreciate some reccomendations on inners & outers, i’ll ne ordering from CRC ! as my LBS told me they fit the same cables to verything 😈
    And the quality is not that good !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use ordinary basic cables and lube them. Middleburn cable oilers perhaps or I use.

My cables last years and I have no issues. Nice smooth cable runs help as well

santacrews
    Free Member

😳

Ah !

Whats that contraption ?

I thought that oiling cables was deemed to be an act of ludicracy nowadays ?

I seem to remember filling old outers with wayoxl back in the day, cant remember having the problems i,ve had lately !!!!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

beter quality modern outer cables have a teflon liner. If you oil them with an incompatible oil the lining swells and they stick. They shouldn’t need to be oiled anyway

That gadget is a clamp on cable oiler – allows you to use a aerosol can to oil them. Middleburn cable oilers do the same but they are a permanent installation

I prefer basic outers with teflon coated inners and to maintain them. cables last me years used summer and winter

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Shimano SP41/51 outer and Jagwire inners.

£5.00 for five inners and the outer is £2 a m (or less in bulk sometimes)

Got some spare inner if you need them (email in profile)

Wookster

mate bite the bullet and buy gore cables I have one set that two years old just the best buy I have ever made read the instructions before you start though!!!!!!!!!!!!

mintimperial

I splashed out on some Gore Ride-ons a few months back after one too many episodes of mud-related mis-shift mayhem. They’re grand, no dodgy gear changes at all since fitting them. Bit pricey mind…

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m a fan of Gore cables, I’m sure years ago (late 90’s) when I first tried them they were a PITA to fit but have recently fitted some on a road bike and MTB and they’re simple to install as long as you follow the instructions (which aren’t complicated). If you’re prepared to do regular cable maintenance then they’re not worth the cost but if you can’t be arsed with oiling and stripping/cleaning cables then they’re well worth it IMO.

gonefishin
    Free Member

XTR. The only piece of XTR kit that is of significant benefit to the ordinary rider. Not the cheapest but very very long lasting.

santacrews
    Free Member

Good news on the GORE kit 😥

I opted out and boughta pair of GOODRIDGE sealed cables WHAT A HEAP OF SH!TE !

I too had GORE back in the 90’s and this is why i have opted out now.

I have heard also that the XTR cables are that bit better than boggo but my LBS refuses to budge on the fact that boggo are best, i suppose its repeat business for those guys,,,,,,,

So anyone live near Doncaster that can fit GORE cables cos my gear setting up skills leave much to be desired……

rootes1

XTR. The only piece of XTR kit that is of significant benefit to the ordinary rider. Not the cheapest but very very long lasting.

Yep they seem to work well and the sealing system does work

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Having just fitted some Gore Ride On cables, the newer versions are far different from the originals – the originals relied upon a seperate liner, the bonus was this sould be run complete from shifter to mech, but was an arse to fit.

The newer ones still have an obvious PTFE covering on the inner cable, but the outers rely upon a fitted liner and decent fitting end caps to keep the crap out. I’m reserving judgement on how well the newer versions work until after fridays wet & muddy ride.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The XTR sealed end caps are the same as the sp-41 ones, apart from the ally one that goes into the rear mech. The cables are much better though and the sleeves are pre-greased.
    Wiping cables down with some gt-85 before installing them removes a LOT of grey crap from them. The difference when you install them is very noticeable.
    Gore ones are nice too, but costly..

PJM1974
    Free Member

Shimano XTR cables for the win… Go full outer if at all possible and lube during assembly.

mintimperial

the originals relied upon a seperate liner, the bonus was this sould be run complete from shifter to mech, but was an arse to fit.

There are two versions of the Ride-Ons, one with a liner and one without. The ones I fitted recently have a separate liner running from shifter to mech. The inner is completely enclosed within this liner, which then runs inside the various sections of normal-looking outer cable. There’s a rubber boot thingy at the end to keep the crud out at the mech-fixing.

They weren’t particularly difficult to fit, though, if you follow the instructions, so maybe they are different to the old ones, I dunno.

meehaja
    Free Member

single speed?

bigyim
    Free Member

I used the jagwire ripcord kit which I bought off eBay for £25 ish. Pretty much a sealed kit and Teflon cables. Never had to touch them since I fitted them and come in all different colours

richmtb

I tried a set of Goodridge cables but they were total gash, the outers frayed after about two rides so I went back to cheap shimano cables.

They do need cleaning pretty regularly but its not really a difficult job.

I might go for a set of Jagwire Ripcord in red just becuase it would look a bit blingy!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of Jagwire cables. The sleeves are very stiff and the inner/wire/outer sections of the sleeve become detached very easily, leaving the wires poking out. This has been a massive problem with all the Trek Madones I’ve had to deal with this year.

santacrews
    Free Member

OK !

I,m sold on the Gore cables.

Just from reading this thread it appears that there are two types of cabling with & without liner.

I,ve looked on CRC and it appears that i have found the right ones ?
    They are called professional ?

Are these right ?

DaveGr
    Free Member

Used Gore a few years ago and they were great – now use XTR on a different bike but with a continous cable run and have no problems. On a non continous run I might consider Gore again.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve got the Goodridge sealed ones had them a year still running perfectly.

StuF

XTR here – I picked them up at half price on crc a while ago

snowpaul
    Free Member

ok

Just my 2ps worth – buy shimano sp41 – use Transfil cable sealed ferrules and the plastic straw stuff ( wiggle do a set for 4 quid ) – use snowboard / ski wax on cable as its dry and seems to not stick to too much crap… then choose a good route and voila – nice long lasting cables – I only ever have to clean out the rear deraileur loop once in a while as thats the only place crap can back fill. Kinda full route without all the extra friction as the plastic straw bits reduce this and it is slightly lighter than full outer…

My bike gets used a fair bit in crap conditins. Just did 94 miles of bog trot at the weekend in pouring rain on mths old cables = still sweet after 26 hrs riding in the lakes…

Gore cables work to a point but I wouldnt buy again now – been running the above for last few years. works / cheap / light.

paul

Mister-P
    Free Member

You need Sealed or XL Sealed Gore. Pro are for road use.

mintimperial

I,ve looked on CRC and it appears that i have found the right ones ?
    They are called professional ?

These ones.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Advice Please Which Gear Cables ?’ is closed to new replies.