Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Advice please! What entry level mountain bike do you recommend?
  • thedcoop
    Free Member

I want something with disk brakes, lock off, 20in frame. Budget is around £400.

I’m considering the Specialized Hardrock Disk, Diamondback Response 2010, Kona Nunu or the Commencal Premier Plus… thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated.

wombat

Best thing to do first is go and have a ride on all of them and see which one feels best.

ianv
    Free Member

have a look at pauls cycles offers. they often have decent discounted stuff. like this

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b1s2p2459
    or this
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b65s2p3124

of the bikes you listed, the diamondback seems to be the best equipped.

bol

Halfords are doing an extra 20% off at the moment, making their Carrera Fury £450 I think. Worth finding the extra £50 for something that good value. Decent fork, brakes etc. Just get someone other than Halfords to check it’s built up properly.

Northwind

Not ideal to buy without trying but yep, the Fury at £440 is a great deal, haven’t seen anything else sub-£500 that’d even get a look-in.

Olly
    Free Member

I want something with disk brakes, lock off, 20in frame. Budget is around £400.

Maybe its better now, but I am of the opinion, that if anything ruins forks its lockout.
    those in the know take it off thousand £ forks (unless they need it) because it hinders the action.
    on a fork of your price range it will probably (in my personal experience) be the first thing to pack up.

Also i would suggest, unless your HUGELY tall, getting an 18″

im 6ft 5 and ride a 20″ XC bike, but have no problems riding an 18″ hardtail, and find it much easier to manhandle and chuck around.

lastly, and predicatbly.

have a good look at a Giant XtC or Talon
    very very good value for money, they make many parts themselves so pass the savings onto better bits they dont make drive chains for instance.

TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 Carrera Fury. At current offer price nothing to touch it. Mine was great – sadly now sold but great for the money and good enough to last years of slow upgrading if you’re going to stay HT.

thedcoop
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys.

I was advised in an Evans shop that as I’m 5ft 10 I should get a 20in frame. But I will definitely look into getting an 18 instead.

What about the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1? I’ve found a 2010 model for £450. All the reviews say it is a pretty amazing bike.

thedcoop
    Free Member

Oh and the reason why I am looking for a bike with lockout is that I will probably be doing some road riding as well as trail.

ampthill

I have never used the lock out on my forks on th eroad or any where, never been tempted

Northwind

hedcoop – Member

I was advised in an Evans shop that as I’m 5ft 10 I should get a 20in frame. But I will definitely look into getting an 18 instead.

That may have been true in the early 1980s but these days you’re a classic medium. Some you’d want to go small in fact. (Halfords get a bad rep for service and advice so it’s good to see Evans are able to match them 😉 )

z1ppy

I’d agree with the sizing query, I suffered with my first mtb bike due to being sold one far too large. At 5’10” you should be looking a the 17-19″ frame size (inside leg measurement dependant)
    Quick look at the Rockrider spec and it’s pretty impressive really, Deore/X7 gears, Recon forks (TK), nothing to be sniffed at for the money.
    Either the Carrera or the Rockrider would be a great starting point in MTB-ing, and make the spec on the Spesh Hardrock Sport Disk @ £460 look embarrassing

and for balance I’ve use the lock-out’s if fitted, since my 1st fork with it…2004 MX Comp ETA’s.

dangerousdan
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 2in and ride an 18in or 19in MTB – you’ll regret a 20in one if you ever go off road.

Dino
    Free Member

Yep 17-19″ range as above
    welcome to the club 😛

Northwind

Oh. I meant to comment on the Rockrider, it’s very nice, has a fork that’s about a match for the Fury. But the money goes in the wrong places IMO- the Rockrider gets better drivetrain, but fairly nasty wheels. The Fury gets more basic but workable drivetrain, but very good wheels (you can spend £2850 on an Orange Five and get the same rims!) Clear winner really.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Advice please! What entry level mountain bike do you recommend?’ is closed to new replies.