Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice Please! Terrestrial TV transmissions to be withdrawn
  • mudglutten
    Free Member

Hi All. I have just found out that when the digital switchover happens at my place (in October), the repeater that is currently used will not be updated as the main transmitter will be up-powered. However, there is a mountain between my house and that transmitter and I will loose all terestrial TV. Even worse, the same mountain blocks the satelite line of sight so I will have no TV at all.

Do the broardcasting authorities have an obligation to continue to provide transmissions that I can enforce, or do I just have to put up with the dissappearance of TV?

I can’t believe a relay station would stop working just because the main has gone digital.

Satellite signals come in at 30 deg to the horizontal so that mountain must be huge!

mudglutten
    Free Member

I understand the repeater is being decomissioned, as the up-powered main transmitter will serve the main community that the repeater currently covers – we are one of only 20 houses about 500m from the main community that will end up with nothing.

Yep, the mountain is huge – the house is set into it and my boundary walls connect with my roofline at the level of the soffits! That said, it’s not quite a 30 deg slope. Memory Map shows the ground rising to the south east, 200m in a slant range of 500m, so about 23.5 deg. Factor in the mature FC pine trees and that’s enough to wipe out the satelite signal.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Just bung your aerial on the other side of the mountain, and get a long bit of cable. Sorted!

I won’t charge you for this advice, but some greedy fecker might!

aP
    Free Member

My sister used to live in a small village with no TV reception and I seem to remember that to get around it they all had cable (although to be honest I didn’t actually take much interest in it so my recollection may be entirely wrong)

spooky_b329

Sky might do a communal dish like they do for flats, assuming there is somewhere they can locate it that it has a signal.

grumm
    Free Member

Get zattoo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice Please! Terrestrial TV transmissions to be withdrawn’ is closed to new replies.