Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Advice please on pitch or stumpjumper.
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Can you build a Pitch as a Trail centre bike light enough to ride all day or is the Stumpjumper built to fit this purpose? Confused as I’m after a burlier bike than my Epic but don’t want something more than I need.
    any advice?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Easily 🙂

Wheels and an air fork are the obvious weight drops.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Would it feel like a compromised Downhill bike?

pitcherpro
    Free Member

My old pitch pro had a 150mm revelation up front and some hope/dt wheels as well as other upgrades .Made it a much better but touch heavy compared to a stumpy .

patriotpro
    Free Member

mikey-simmo – Member
    Would it feel like a compromised Downhill bike?

Only because of the height of the fork which you could rectify with a TALAS or U-Turn if you felt the need.

Konastoner
    Free Member

It all depends on how you ride not necessarily where you ride. I have both an Enduro and Stumpy, the stumpy to get fit the Enduro when i’m fit 😈

Seriously, the Stumpjumper will do all you need and more. I would recomend a 140mm fork though.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I like the pitch but I figure my riding is not quite ‘pitch’ standard unless I’m dreaming. Stumpy looks like more of a cross over bike, Epic speed with Pitch squish?
    Thanks for your advice.

dab

Micky – stumpjumper evo comp
    Job done 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got both and the Stumpjumper is a fair bit lighter and the slightly shorter stays make it easier to pop off the trail. But the Pitch is better for ploughing through rock gardens and is more of a get of jail free card in the tricky stuff.

I built my pitch up both beefy with Lyrik coils and lighter with Revelations and the only limiting factor is my legs on the uphills/XC work and my balls on the downhill.

But I’m using the Stumpjumper more now and enjoying the lightness and its all round ability. The build is just swapped over from the Pitch and so it is the frame that has made it lighter and the design thats made it quicker XC.

Not really sure what a trail centre bike is? If you mean cranking along narrow overly twisty singletrack with the odd technical feature then the Stumpjumper is the one to go for.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pitch, weight is 32lb and it’s too much for a trail center. If I was significantly fitter it’d be brilliant, but you’d need to be fit to keep it uptospeed on flatter sections (climbs Ok and decends like a stone, but allong requires a lot of fitness).

Building it lighter would be pointless, it’d be like going on tour with the Prodidgy and convincing them that they should be playing Barbers adagio for strings. It’s a DH bike that can be pedaled up hills rather than wait for the upift van. Even the stock Sektors hold it back, it’s a much better beast with Lyrics.

To put it in perspective I leant it as it was stock to a friend who was looking for a new bike, he didn’t really like it. I stuck a big air can on the shock, a single 32t chainring, tougher wheels, stiffer/wider bars and stem and a dropper post on it and leant it to him again and he came back grinning saying this is how it always should have been, a lightweight DH bike that pedals up hills.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Got mine with coil shock & lyrics. Weighs 30lbs.

Pedals up ok, and descends like a maniac. Great fun.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Advice please on pitch or stumpjumper.’ is closed to new replies.