Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Advice please: How to challenge a xenophobic kids football club.
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Might want to tell the coaches (and some parents) that!

That’s why they’re not allowed to play 😉

geoffj

Fact check then Police.

http://www.hatecrimescotland.org

I wouldn’t be buggering around with the blazers, it’s a hate crime.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Get the other parents to put their experience down in writing. Contact Scottish FA and the Police.

bigjim

Let me know if you need a direct line to bbc Scotland, though I think they’ll pick this up if you submit yourself as it’s quite serious.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i stopped my son, when he was younger (about 10), playing kids football after i saw in a match a kid jump on one of the other team, wrestle him to teh gound and kneeling on his chest try to strangle him. this was in front of the parents of the team he was on. they did nothing and the ref just gave a free kick, not even a send off.

further to this i do a training sesh at a local ground once a week that directly follows kids football on the all weather area. the parents are the rudest most horrid people i have to deal with, utterly no respect for any other user group at the venue.

so whilst i find the racist attitude displayed to your kid and the others utterly disgusting and personally i would consider reporting it to the police as racially motivated exclusion, in my view you are better off out of it.

Cougar

Probably sets them up to be football fans later in life at least.

(-:

augustuswindsock

I think we’d all be keen to see how this one pan’s out wwp, keep us all updated!

project
    Free Member

hate football at all levels and hate racism at all levels, so ticks both boxes, report it to the police as a racist hate crime, and as above
    someone said

Might be worth getting the parents of the affected kids to ask for it to be put in writing.

Its not acceptable in 2017

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

hate football at all levels

They’re only six years old for goodness sake

nick1962
    Free Member

“FAKE NEWS ALERT”
    Everyone knows that Scotland is just overflowing with inclusive,liberal,right on, Europhiles and all those nasty small minded ,racist Brexiteers live south of the border.

piemonster

OP, do keep us posted as it does look like it could be pretty bad.

hate football at all levels

Yawn

“FAKE NEWS ALERT

Double yawn

chewkw
    Free Member

OP,

The football club is totally unacceptable.

As above report them.

😡

epicyclo

nick1962 – Member
    “FAKE NEWS ALERT”
    Everyone knows that Scotland is just overflowing with inclusive,liberal,right on, Europhiles and all those nasty small minded ,racist Brexiteers live south of the border.

No, sadly we have some right nasty haters amongst us.

But the first thing that came to my mind when I read this was that it may not be racism.

It’s Scottish football, some sections of which are infested with sectarian scum, so I’ll bet those Polish kids are Catholic.

Cougar

Prejudice in a different hat is still prejudice, n’est pas? Doesn’t really matter if your reasoning is ‘his socks are odd’ when you’re choosing to discriminate against a six year old.

epicyclo

Cougar – Moderator
    Prejudice in a different hat is still prejudice, n’est pas?…

Oh, definitely just as nasty. My experience in Scotland is that sectarian hatreds are more likely to be behind discrimination though.

You don’t get organisations who exist to promote racial hatred getting permission to march through the streets, but every year the Orange Order, fully uniformed up, has marches in our main cities to the delight of our Unionist contingent.

I’ll be very interested to hear what’s at the bottom of this. Racism, or sectarianism, or just some numpty not considering what he’s doing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d tend to disagree Epicyclo, Ever since the Brexit vote, a few of my good Polish mates reckon it’s got a hell of a lot worse for them, like a sort of positive affirmation from above that it’s okay to kick Johnny Foreigner, as long as he’s Eastern European.

binners

Being liberal and multicultural is just, like, sooooooooooo last year

perchypanther
    Free Member

Being liberal and multicultural is just, like, sooooooooooo last year

Last year?….. 2016?

You sure? 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

having been told to “f*** off back to Ireland you paddy bastard” when much younger and various Provo comments. Note i was born in the UK and have lived here all my life.

This is not acceptable, ever, it is also the issue too many refuse to accept re Brexit, it has allowed the racist scum to think it is OK.

Be sure of the reasons, then nuclear. The scum has no place dealing with kids, full stop. Although if you have a strong enough suspicion but aren’t 100% sure then raise it with governing bodies and let them carry out formal investigation.

Either way find a different team, who wants to deal with that sort of idiot anyway?

One other thing, slight more left field, Poles tend to be Catholic, he isn’t going that route is he???

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As Perchy rightly says, it is ridiculously easy to become a kids coach. I’d look for a new team, as you won’t change a bigot, but I’d also look to expose the ****.

binners

One other thing, slight more left field, Poles tend to be Catholic, he isn’t going that route is he???

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkL91LzCMc[/video]

richmtb

Whatever the motivation is its utterly shite.

6 year old kids FFS! This is how people learn to hate.

Keep us posted OP.

epicyclo

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    I’d tend to disagree Epicyclo, Ever since the Brexit vote, a few of my good Polish mates reckon it’s got a hell of a lot worse for them, like a sort of positive affirmation from above that it’s okay to kick Johnny Foreigner, as long as he’s Eastern European

And here I am hoping everyone will be nice to EU incomers in Scotland because they’re probably going to vote a solid Yes for independence after being misled the last time. 🙂

Still hate is hate, and I agree with mrmo “Be sure of the reasons, then nuclear. The scum has no place dealing with kids, full stop.”

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Whilst the underlying thought of a few kids (Polish or not) being excluded from playing is horrible, I also feel there is more to this than meets the eye. I coached a team of kids from 4yrs old to 14yrs old. They went from nothing to 3 x professional football contracts and a local county cup before I finished due to health. My sons best friend is indian and one of my funniest memories of this friends mum was her saying how Sun Tanned Rohan was at a football match. I looked at her puzzled. She said he’s gone really dark hasn’t he. I said I hadn’t noticed. She said her son calls her the white girl. Now I don’t get involved in PC conversations, I don’t have much tact and deplocmacy but I burst out laughing and so did she.

Anyhow, the proudest kid of all those I coached was the one who had 2 left feet. He finished up being a very productive member of the team and a county cup winner as well.

So in this situation I would ask

1) Why would a coach who doesn’t like polish kids allow polish kids to join in the first place

2) Can the kids speak English/Scottish

3) Are they disrupting the team

4) Are they obviously holding the team back

5) Were they there under any kind of understanding such as ‘see how it goes’

Now it may be harsh but he may have his numbers already. It may be that they were holding the majority back either with lack of discipline or lack of language. It may be that majority of parents have come to them and complained etc etc etc etc etc.

As well as sport teaching involvement and fun, it also teaches discipline, team work and achievement. You cannot just destroy some team/coach if he has genuinely given these kids a chance and they haven’t fitted in for some reason.

Without a lot more facts I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions. And I have spoken to many parents who don’t see their kid being disruptive in a coaching environment when they most certainly are. I used to find

“If you have too much energy to concentrate then you can do 2 x laps of the field” was a good compromise for disruptive kids. They came back a little less energetic, a little more open to learning and if they didn’t, after a few weeks of that they quit themselves.

perchypanther
    Free Member

1) Why would a coach who doesn’t like polish kids allow polish kids to join in the first place

2) Can the kids speak English/Scottish

3) Are they disrupting the team

4) Are they obviously holding the team back

5) Were they there under any kind of understanding such as ‘see how it goes’

1. Maybe the Coach doesn’t get to pick which kids he gets. There may be an overarching club official who allocates places in each team. That’s how my club does it.

2. If there was a language problem then the smart option would probably be to ask one of the parents to help out with the coaching.

3. The kids are six years old. They’re ALL disrupting the team.

4. Holding the team back from what? At age six the Scottish youth game is entirely and deliberately uncompetitive.

5. If that’s the case, why did it take six months.

StirlingCrispin

Something is very wrong here and it must be challenged.

I’d skip the club protection officer, and speak to the regional or community coach if you have one. In my experience these coaches have all been superb and will advise you accordingly.

Some thoughts: Yes “Fun fours” should be that but I’ve seen a coach plucking the best players for their squad, “because I want to win”. Despite a so-called code of conduct, parents still coach from the sidelines, and keep score. I’ve also seen a match stopped because of violence between parents. Nice!

The Scottish kiddie season starts on Saturday. My youngest has already signed his forms. I suspect that swapping teams at this stage will, unfortunately, be very difficult.

All the best to the OP and the affected kids – you deserve better.

jimjam
    Free Member

TheLittlestHobo

Whilst the underlying thought of a few kids (Polish or not) being excluded from playing is horrible, I also feel there is more to this than meets the eye.
    Without a lot more facts I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions.

This. My brother in law (cop) had to get involved when a racist Hurling coach booted all the gypsies (travelers to be pc) off the team. When the dust settled it turned out that the boys’ parents were actually the problem.

IIRC one of the mothers was so loud, foul mouthed and aggressive (and drunk) that she had been asked several times to stop coming. Her partner wasn’t much better, but they were bringing most of the boys to practice.

But yeah. Best to form a lynch mob, hang some racists then ask questions later.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I also feel there is more to this than meets the eye.”

Yeah, as described, it doesn’t add up. A completely implausible second hand account of other second hand accounts.
    (Ethnically cleansing a kiddie football team in an utterly blatant way? Perlease.)

The OP will be back shortly to tell us it was all a misunderstanding, and if it’s not then he can name some names.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I used to be Child Protection Office for a sport governing body. I’d want to hear of this if it was going on in my sport, even if it was resolved at a lower level.

Sport is a great thing for kids and, as I have pointed out to coaches in the past, even little shits should be allowed to participate. It is up to the coaches to manage this. For kids that are difficult or troubled, sport can be a way out of their problems and set them on the straight an narrow.

In any case, even if a child is a disruption nightmare then there needs to be a decent disciplinary process and you don’t just kick somebody out unless it was really bad. At 6 that would be completely disproportionate.

Some coaches believe that they run their club or team or whatever but in most cases that simply isn’t true any more. Governing bodies are more involved than ever before, led by the larger and more difficult sports (football, rugby and swimming spring to mind, gymnastics too). Where they are under a governing body, clubs and coaches can only operate within the framework of their sport.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Hiya – sorry about the slow reply. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to stop the emotional angry nuclear 1am Facebook post so things have progressed less than ideally.

Understandably the club have denied everything and defended the coach as respected, highly regarded, honourable etc.

As all the allegations are based on the contents of a couple of phone calls it’s all gone a bit he said / she said.

So here is what we know

Phone call 1
    Coach to parent 1 (my girlfriend)
    Your son is no longer welcome at the club due to his disruptive behaviour. These 3 other Polish kids are also no longer welcome due to their behaviour. Coach is questioned about why only Polish kids are being excluded, denies any racist motivation – it’s due to their behaviour.

Phone call 2
    Coach to parent 2
    Your son is no longer welcome at the club as he’s not good enough. These 3 other Polish kids are also not good enough either. Coach is asked how many Scottish kids are being excluded and responds with F off it’s none of your business.

Angry FB post happens

Coach responds that only 2 boys are being excluded due to poor behaviour. (Parents of children 3 & 4 were never phoned). This misunderstanding is apparently due to my girlfriend’s poor English. Will not correspond any more due to the allegation.

Club responds
    Boys excluded due to repeated poor behaviour. Coaches have spoken to boys about behaviour multiple times and there has been no improvement. Couldn’t continue to accept negative affect on group of x kids. Club has other young players of different nationalities who behave acceptably therefore club cannot be racist. Coach is highly regarded etc. Unacceptable to post allegations on Facebook. Should have gone to Player Protection Officer first.

Local newspaper get in touch for a chat.

So that is where we’re up to. Where next?

Still trying to work out how the disruptive behaviour can go from minor enough to be dealt with by a coach / player chat to club expulsion without any prior warning to the parent?

Did the coach realise how overt his racism was during parental phone calls then abandon his plan? Or did 2 parents somehow end up with the same misunderstanding from their phone calls.

Is this just a really badly executed / communicated plan to reduce numbers of kids which looks racist but wasn’t intended to be (maybe there is some subconscious racism where behaviour is judged differently depending on kids nationality).

On a good note the lad went to a different club, loved it (says the coaches are better) and his effort and enthusiasm was commented on positively by another parent.

edlong
    Free Member

On a good note the lad went to a different club, loved it (says the coaches are better) and his effort and enthusiasm was commented on positively by another parent.

Ignoring all the other stuff for a moment, reading that bit brightened my afternoon.

Cougar

TBH, the only thing I’d back in that is the assertion that you “should have gone to Player Protection Officer first.” Yes, you should.

However, receiving eff off when asking a simple question, the fact that he’s given three different stories to three different people, and the excuse of “your wife can’t speak English properly” makes me think that this is entirely racially motivated. Either that or simply scumbag related.

Have you enquired as to what these alleged behavioural difficulties are, btw?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“makes me think that this is entirely racially motivated”

How would you know? We’ve gone from an accusation of an ethnically cleansed football club to two kids kicked out with at least two non-Scottish kids (and perhaps more) remaining in the team.

It’s a completely different accusation, yet your conclusion is exactly the same!

Yes, the OP should talk to the Club, but xenophobic? I’m not seeing the evidence.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

, the only thing I’d back in that is the assertion that you “should have gone to Player Protection Officer first.” Yes, you should.

I agree with this too.

TBH The big lesson from all of this is don’t post on Facebook when angry as then everyone’s defences go up, it all gets emotional and you end up with fewer options and no way to get at the hard evidence that you would need to really change things.

chakaping
    Free Member

Talk to the newspaper and to the governing body. You don’t need any more contact with the club anyway.

If they haven’t done anything wrong then they haven’t got anything to worry about, eh?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Did none of the coaches ever speak to you or your GF about the lads behaviour?

If I ever have to pull any of our team up for the behaviour, I always go to their parents afterwards and say something along the lines of ” I had to have a wee word with….tonight, because he was doing…..”

I wouldn’t put myself in a position where the kid goes to his parents and says “Coach Perchy shouted at me tonight and I wasn’t doing anything! It’s so unfair!!”

I expected this basic level of communication (and received it ) as a parent when my older boy was playing and I was just another parent watching.

It’s unreasonable for the first that you hear of any so called behavioural issues is the phone call to kick the kid out of the team.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Advice please: How to challenge a xenophobic kids football club.’ is closed to new replies.