Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Advice please: Hope brakes X2 Tech or Race??
  • xander
    Free Member

About to get some new brakes (for XC use). A mate has the new Hope X2 Race jobbies – very nice looking and work very well apparently, but wondering if anyone has any views on these in comparison to the cheaper and more adjustable X2 Tech jobbies?? Quite like the idea of the adjustable bite point on the cheaper versions in case of any rubbing (a recurring problem on my current brakes).

While we’re at it, any views over the standard 3 bolt rotors vs. the floaters?

Cheers.

Paulio
    Free Member

I chose the Techs over the Races back in the summer as they were about £100 cheaper and they are the best brakes I’ve used, mainly due to the modulation. Miles better than the Maratas they replaced which were a bit on/off for my liking.

Adjustment-wise it was nice to be able to tweak them but after the initial set up I haven’t touched them. I don’t know if the bite point adjuster will help with rubbing at the disc as it works on where the lever actuates the brake rather than at the caliper end.

I’ve used floating and standard (6 bolt) rotors and can’t tell the difference so I’ve stuck with standard as it’s what I had at the time. I don’t think I get enough heat into my brakes to need floaters anyway.

AdeC
    Free Member

I think floater rotors a good bit lighter than standard steel ones.

Tech X2s are ace. I’ve even got one running with a 203mm rotor and had absolutely no problems after 18 months use.

will1991
    Free Member

I may be able to shed some decent light on this. I have both the X2 Races and the Tech X2 brakes, and have used both 3 bolt and floating rotors.

To be honest, I really like the lever stroke on Hope brakes as standard, I probably wouldn’t change it, and for that reason, I have set my Tech levers up to feel the same as my Race levers. I think that unless you are particularly averse to the Hope lever stroke or your brakes aren’t properly bled, you’ll find that the adjustment is something you could more than easily live without.

In terms of power, they are the same, assuming rotor sizes are the same, as the callipers are identicle.

In my opinion, it comes down to weight and budget with these two brakes. My Races are 477 grams front and rear excluding rotors and rotor bolts and my Techs are 600 grams (non-braided hoses), and that’s after I gave them the Ti bolt treatment too.

In terms of rotors, the 3 bolt rotors aren’t any lighter, particularly as the big bolts they use are quite heavy considering there are just 3 of them. Standard floating rotors are (from memory) either lighter or no heavier that the 3 bolts rotors, and if you get the Pro floating rotors as come with the Race brakes with Ti bolts, they definitely are.

I ultimately got rid of the 3 bolt rotors because the Hope Hoops they are compatible with couldn’t take the stick! They were on my XC race oriented HT and I mashed them (i’m 10.5 stone!), I think partly due to the lack of spokes, so I’d get floating 6 bolt rotors and a set of wheels with at least 32 spokes!

End of the day they’re both excellent brakes, so just take your pick!

Hope thats helps,
    Will

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Advice please: Hope brakes X2 Tech or Race??’ is closed to new replies.