Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Advice on trails in Wales
  • peter1979
    Free Member

Im off for a weeks road trip with a friend, we’re unfit but enthusiastic.

We are going to Llandegla, Coed Y Brenin and Afan and would like some advice on the trails that we should ride.

Ive taken a quick look and probably going for the red/black combo at Llandegla, MBR at CyB and not sure about Afan, possibly the Wall. Will i die?

Im not looking for all day epic rides which involve riding multiple trails, just a ride round each on the most enjoyable ones.

Northwind

The Beast at CYB takes in the best of the MBR and the Dragon’s Back, highly recommended… It’s a big day out but totally worth it IMO. But failing that yep MBR.

peter1979
    Free Member

I looked at the Beast and then saw the distance and had second thoughts. I dont want to ruin myself with more riding the following day.

DaveRambo

You’d be better off hitting fewer places and riding more IMO.

Picking the best is very subjective, but the best I’ve ridden would include The Beast.

unklehomered
    Free Member

My advice would be ditch Llandegla, ride Penmachno…

Northwind

Yeah, that’s reasonable. The Beast’s within the scope of most reasonably fit riders, you just do it at a nice relaxed pace, stop at the teashop etc. Most of the climbing is fairly gentle but there is a fair amount of it. MBR is still well worth the ride though so no worries there.

tymbian
    Free Member

+1 Penmachno…turn right behind the pub, drive all the way up the hill till it opens out a bit. There’s a fireroad to the left, one of the Penmachno trails ( the lesser one ) leads off to the right. Utterly amazing views..I’ll Defo be going again this year.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

if your unfit you will struggle! fact. we did cyb today the dragon it was not easy although it was warm its lovely place and well worth riding.

peter1979
    Free Member

Llandegla is non negotiable as my friend has been before and really wants to go back. We have a limited number of days and have planned our journey and accommodation. Penmachno does look good, but it’ll have to wait for our next trip.

Im prepared for the struggling, my friend is type 1 diabetic and is still fitter than me.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Tell your friend he’s wrong and Penmachno is better. Unless he likes ‘trail centres’ [motorway] over trail[trail]. In which case he may well be happier at llandegla.

peter1979
    Free Member

I’ll let you tell him that. He’s bigger than me. Although a crafty few energy tablets in his drink and he’ll soon be an easy target. And probably dead shortly after.

Northwind

peter1979 – Member

my friend is type 1 diabetic and is still fitter than me.

Don’t let him use that as an excuse! It makes ****-all difference to bike fitness! (also it means we can mainline jellybabies without ill effect, whereas you mere normal people would insulin crash)

jambalaya
    Free Member

You’d have to try quite hard to kill yourself on the Wall. You can ride the Wall and W2 in a single day even if you are not that fit.

martinhutch

I was at Nant y Arian yesterday and did the Beast today. I’m only middlingly fit and there was a reasonable amount of climbing on both (3000ft+), but I’m not completely trashed tonight. Sleeping in a bloody cold uncomfortable van last night did me more damage, TBH…

MBR is very short – a couple of hour’s work tops, so you’d want to add in Tawr or Dragon’s Back (or just do the Beast) to make a full day of it at CYB. You can break up the Beast with cake at the Tea Rooms on the road section just after halfway, and the riding is just excellent.

Nant yr Arian was a very relaxing day – more like a XC ride with a few nice non-technical bits of singletrack thrown in.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Peter you are not far off with your plans i’d say….

The red/black at llandegla are fine,fast, swoopy and fun.

At Coed y Brenin I would do the Fox trail first then have some grub then go and do the MBR which gives good bang for buck and means you get to ride some sections from the Fox again which will allow you to test yourself on sections you have ridden before…

It is a fair drive from there down to Afan… unless you are from ‘down south’ you would be better of exploring Penmachno but as you say you have accomadation booked etc then go to Afan and do the Wall, then drive up the road to gyncorrig and get some lunch and if you feel ok do Whites.

IMHO you are better doing shorter rides with energy to put into the good sections than banging in miles and height gain only to be knackered and not enjoy the good sections or worse still have a nasty off due to being knackered….

Either way have a great time.

For the record I love The Beast and Penmachno is one of my favourite places not just in the UK but anywhere….. in fact Wales is.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CyB combo mix up route is preferred for me (make sure the mid way cafe is open)
    Head out on the MBR then after False Teeth (maybe 1 more section) you can cut out to the Cafe and do the Adams Family stuff from the top (don’t do the massive fire road loop up there skip along the road) then back. Best of both routes for me.

Afan have fun, Penmachno is one of my favourites, Llandegla to but more in a brain out kind of a way. Brechfa may be worth a look not sure how that is currently. If your camping at Afan lock the bikes up properly & check your insurance.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Advice on trails in Wales’ is closed to new replies.