Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Advice on road tyres for commuting
  • Clink

Currently running Kenda Kriterium 700×25 on the commuter (came with bike). Rear tyre had blowout yesterday and need something new.

Need to be good in all weathers and hopefully more robust than the Kendas. I remember some comments about Conty GP 4 season but should I consider anything else (and hopefully cheapish!).

roach

I have been using bonty race light hard case for years. They are cheap and pretty puncture proof. Or you could go for the invincible schwalbe marathon plus but they are heavy.

aP
    Free Member

Depends what you want. The Bontrager tires are heavy, sluggish and have dubious levels of grip (IMO from having tried a set a couple years ago). I use GP4 Seasons and they’re much better with decent levels of grip, decent feel and speed and have been very reliable. I commute 42 miles a day so draggy tires aren’t on my list.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I found bonty hardcase to be predictable And fairly grippy – want dubious try the pieces of slick crap on my timetrial bike – now fully understand why testers dont usually do rain 🙂

I use them for audaxing and could stay at a fair lick all day didnt really feel draggy

Uber reliable tires and cheap

For similar look at specialized espoir pros

Leon
    Free Member

Conti Gatorskins.

I’ve been using them for years now, and not one puncture (JINX!).

25mm on my commuter, 27×1/4″ on my pub bike, and 28mm on my wifes commuter.

They ride really nice. Obviously not a full on race tyre, but plenty nice enough.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I like the 4 seasons. They are definitely more comfy and grippy than the hardcase’s, but the bontragers win on price (13 quid here – http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html )

thehustler
    Free Member

I use spech armadillo’s 25c, my commute is part road part old railway track, simply put they dont puncture unless i let pressures drop and get a snakebite (which is hardly ever)

BristolPablo
    Free Member

i can advise against conti ultra sports which are terrifying in the wet….

stanley

Used both Gatorskins and GP4s for years. 23 to 28mm.
    Prefer the GP4s. I’ve found that going up to 28mm doesn’t increase drag, but does improve comfort and handling (on rough roads).

Ladders
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-clincher-tyre/

Cheap, last a long time, pretty grippy and don’t cut at the sight of rain and a bit of gravel like most of the conti tyres do!

Been using them for winter training and commuting for the last few years. Usually last at least 6 months.

sefton
    Free Member

I’m going to put some Conti Grajnd Prix 700×24 on the classifieds later.

probably done around 200-250miles (with no wear)£35

TheFopster
    Free Member

Have Gatorskins on road bIke. No punctures since I got them. A bit sketchy in the wet but overall happy with them.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve been using Schwalbe Durano’s. Not going to jinx, but no ‘you know what’ yet & 75% of my route is crappy country lanes with all sorts littered on the road.

Mind you, I have no basis for comparison, they came on the bike & i’ve never ridden anything else.

LardLover
    Free Member

28mm Gatorskins here. Excellent on rough roads, never had an probs in the wet, no punctures (jinx 😕 ). Might go 25mm next time – if they ever wear out.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not a real fan of the Conti Hardshell Gatorskins here – they seemed to puncture an awful lot as soon as the sky leaked. Despite their claims of surviving nuclear assaults and German invasions they were no match for Slough Trading Estate.

I switched to Conti Touring Plus 28s with reflective sidewalls. They are heavier and certainly don’t roll as well, but have only had the one flat so far (touch wood) – ironically this morning – but I do like the sidewalls and general bullet-proofness of them. Far more important in my eyes than shaving a few seconds off your commute.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Mixing it between Gatorskins, Durano Plus and Marathon Plus at the moment. Gatorskins my preference in summer, been impressed with the Durano Plus as half-way house bewteen the ‘nuke-it-from-space’ puncture resistance of the Marathon Plus and a ‘proper’ road tyre. While the Marathon Plus is definitely bomb proof, I’ve had to retire the last three rear tyres after about 5k miles due either wearing the top flat, so they are dicey in corners, or cutting the PU belt down to the carcass badly.

May well try a regular Durano in the future, as it is supposed to be similar to a Gatorskin, and give a Conti 4Seasons and/or a GP4000S a go.

rootes1

been ok on GP4000 and Mic Pro3 – the latter are on deals at lots of vendors

boxfish
    Free Member

+1 Bontrager Racelite Hardcase (23). I’m on my third set in 4 years and I’ve had 1 puncture in that time.

poolman
    Free Member

I use schwalbe marathon 28s which aren’t draggy & not too heavy, they are good for tracks & light off road too.

No punctures in first 1000km, I am v happy with them.

TiRed

Durano Plus throughout the winter. Good in the wet. Never punctured one. Reasonable rolling resistance. I also have Marathon Plus on the tandem. As above but heavier. And yes, they wear down before they puncture.

To be honest, the wet weather handling is what has sold it for me. The limited edition cheaper Durano “London” has a wire bead, so won’t be as light.

njee20
    Free Member

I use Conti GP 4 Seasons (23c), replaced the rear earlier this year after c6000 miles and not a single flat, despite the fact the carcass was showing through the tread.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

May I offer as a curve ball, Halo twin rail courier 700×24 use these on my commuter in all weathers and may not be the lightest tyres but grip is great and no punctures so far

epicsteve
    Free Member

I hate punctures when commuting so went down the Marathon Plus route, althugh I use Conti’s on the other road bikes.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Got Krylions on the winter bike and I’ve had no problems with them.

addy6402

Conti Gatorskins (700*25) here – working well in all weathers. No punctures either, despite riding over plenty of glass on a few occasions.

Clink

Thanks chaps – just ordered the gatorskins set from Wiggle.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m using conto GP 4 Seasons on 1 bike and standard Grand Prix on another. Both are pretty resiliant.

The Schwalbe Duranos great great reviews though and I might try them soon as the 4 seasons are past their best.

Tried bonty race light hard case, didn’t like them at all. Horrible wooden fell and not that puncture resistant.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Be interested to know how you fair – see if it was just me being unlucky. 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

i have gatorskins in a 28c flavour.

been excellent, cheap from halfords

still you have ordered now.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Advice on road tyres for commuting’ is closed to new replies.