• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice on garden tree please
  • boxelder

So, just about to tart up our perenially waterlogged, moss-ridden, small front lawn. Going for a mix of local slate chips, stone flags and flower beds. Mrs B wants a tree in the middle to help reduce the view into the hall/stair from the road.
    What smallish (<15′), low spreading, attractive tree – ideas welcomed.

Bird Cherry?
    Cherry Plum?
    An Acer of some sort?

Ta

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve got a cherry and the roots are a bit crazy. They spread all over the garden and send little shoots up. Not sure what model we have or if the issue is specific to it, though.

ski
    Free Member

dwarf family apple tree?

thepurist

Aronia arbutifolia is technically a large shrub, but will reach 3-4m and is really happy in wet soil. Good autumn colour too.

v666ern
    Free Member

Not sure what model we have

i think its the version 2, update 15 which includes the igardener app
    😛

honeybadgerx

Just be careful as to how close you plant it to your house, as some trees (cherry can do this), will draw a lot of water from the soil and can cause shrinkage which can effect you foundations.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Comments above re cherry trees are justified; I wouldn’t plant an ornamental cherry in a small lawn. Acer would be nice if it’s sheltered, my front garden is about 5x5m and I have 2 trees – both 9ft stock fruit trees (a family apple and a delicious plum).

Something like Mahonia, Viburnum, Eleagnus, Holly, Pieris will keep their leaves all year so screen the window a bit rather than drop and be bare.

Chances are that a shrub will be better than a small tree as you have so much more choice.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Waterlogged and moss-ridden sounds a problem. Is it shaded, or does it get some sunlight all through the year? Medlar, perhaps, and you might find someone who likes the fruit.

flip
    Free Member

Glasgowdan has it, a nice shrub is the way forward, trees in small gardens are a nightmare.

Check your soil type before planting a Pieris though, Mahonia is nice but spiky.

Acer or Lilac?

boxelder

Yep – shrub is the answer I think.
    thepurist – that’s the sort of thing, ta.

br
    Free Member

+1 for not a cherry, we’ve some and the roots are now a foot in diameter…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice on garden tree please’ is closed to new replies.