Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advice on first full face helmet choice
  • ti456neal
    Free Member

Happy Boxing Day to the STW masses.
    I’m in the fortunate position of having my first uplift day at bikepark Wales in January and I thought it would be a good idea to get a full face helmet as I’m guessing it’s gonna be hard, fast and fairly unforgiving if I get it wrong.
    Can anyone recommend a fairly good full face that won’t break the bank as it’ll only get used a couple of times a year I guess, and also well ventilated.

Cheers 😀

creamegg
    Free Member

Whats the budget?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simples….
    It’s got to fit. Try some on.

ti456neal
    Free Member

Fairly slim unfortunately. Can’t justify spending £100’s on a helmet that I will hardly use.
    I’ve seen 661 comp helmets on crc for under £40 for example.

handyandy
    Free Member

I owned a 661 comp and it was fine as a first full face helmet. As i started doing more DH I bought a D3 as I wanted the reassurance of a better helmet, but myself and friends have all had fairly large impacts with the 661 and no complaints.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

661 comp is a great helmet, comfy, secure, removeable liner. Just get one and save the extra few quid for fun stuff.

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Ive got a 661 Comp and its served its purpose at a bargain price. Go for it.

jam-bo

CRC were selling troy lee D3’s for about £80 earlier in the week.

gaz552
    Free Member

How much do you value your head? (Thats the question I always had when buying a new motocross helmet).
    But as has been said above you want one that fits well, and has a good amount off padding. The worse the fit the less effective it absorbing impacts. The usual test is while wearing the helmet hold the chin piece to keep the helmet from turning and try to turn your head as far as possible to the side. If you can turn your head in the helmet then it’s not a tight enough fit.

dingabell
    Free Member

661 comp…light and comfortable.
    Perfect for a first full face.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I wouldnt bother. May give you a false sense of security and make you more likely to crash. Just use your normal helmet and take it a bit easier.

simon_g

I wouldn’t bother with a helmet at all. Gives you a false sense of security and makes you more likely to crash. Just sit at home with a nice cup of tea and avoid the risk entirely.

… or buy a 661 Comp, they’re surprisingly good and I find it more reassuring. Especially at somewhere like BPW with tree stumps everywhere.

nosedive
    Free Member

i get on with urge down o matic. usually cheap on crc. as above though, whatever you get has to fit well. 661 dont fit my weird head. if they rattle about they are impossible to ride in and dont give you much protection

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advice on first full face helmet choice’ is closed to new replies.