Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice on filling in a koi pond
  • djambo
    Free Member

We have a brick/concrete koi pond in the garden about 5′ deep. I’ve finally decided to fill it in and have a lovely raised bed for growing some veg in.

Presumably I need to break up the bottom then fill it with clean hardcore and topsoil?

Anything I should be aware of before doing this?

cranberry
    Free Member

Take the fish out first.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

From (recent) experience, you can normally get subsoil delivered from a local skip merchants for nothing but the cost of delivery. That (and building rubble) did for us for a similar depth pond. However, once you’ve estimated how many tonnes of soil you need (a builders bag is about a tonne) – treble that figure. I shovelled and barrowed about 20 tonne of the piggin stuff last year. Which was great fun.

martinhutch

How about a sunken garden? #lazybastard

djambo
    Free Member

I shovelled and barrowed about 20 tonne of the piggin stuff last year. Which was great fun.

ours is tucked away a long way from any delivery point, down a narrow winding path with lots of steps (up and down) on the way…it ain’t gonna be fun!

djambo
    Free Member

get subsoil delivered from a local skip merchants for nothing but the cost of delivery. That (and building rubble) did for us for a similar depth pond.

did you go for clear layers of rubble, sub soil then top soil? if so any suggested depths of each?

Jason
    Free Member

I filled a similar sized pond in our garden in. Ours just had a plastic liner with carpet underneath. I removed the liner and carpet and then used it as a bit of a landfill site for a few months. We had just moved into the house which needed renovating so I managed to generate a bit of rubble from the house and garden. When it was maybe 30cms or so from the top I levelled it with topsoil and then turfed – looks fine now. Like you no easy access to the pond, so it took loads of trips with a wheel barrow to put in the topsoil.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Ours wasn’t very deep-2ft max. so I half filled with rubble, compacted as best I could then washed in some topsoil to fill the gaps and try to avoid sinkage. Then topped it with topsoil & seeded. 2 years later it’s still flat but the new grass area is still slightly visible. Topsoil around my way (Cambridge) is blimmin’ expensive though. In hindsight I used soil that was way too good to bulk fill, should have got any old stuff to fill and just topped with good stuff for the seed.

stumpy01

We moved into a house that came with a pond that was surrounding by patio on 3 sides; the 4th side lining up with the lawn and the edge of the patio.

We kept it for a while (the previous owner left the fish in it) and then decided to get rid as it was too much faff.

As ours was half sunken & half raised, once it was demolished we had a lot of bricks/rubble to fill the hole with (once we’d got rid of the fish and removed the liner, that was).

Because of the position of it, I wanted to put some slabs over the top of it, just to make the area usable until we could get the patio properly re-done.
    I chucked all the rubble in along with a load of small-ish hardcore, as I was concerned that the large-ish bits of rubble would settle over time and make the whole thing sink.
    I then just levelled it (ahem, it’s roughly level) and cemented some slabs in place.

This was after getting the lining out & knocking the wall around it down. The obvious deep end just had a couple of brick high edging, whereas the other end was about 0.7m high. The whole thing was 4m long

This was halfway through paving:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kLKFep]13-11-09 DSCN5311[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

and this was once finished.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kLKAmZ]13-11-11 DSCN5320[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

Once all the other million & one jobs are done around the house/garden (in about 20yrs) I’ll smash it all up & put something proper down….

OP it was bloody hard work!

MoreCashThanDash

Our old pond was only a couple of feet deep, but we had very confused frogs sat on the patio that replaced it for a couple of years afterwards in the amphibian breeding season!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice on filling in a koi pond’ is closed to new replies.