Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Advice on fell running/racing in winter weather
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The weather forecast for this fell race on Saturday is lots of snow and high winds. Now I’ve done plenty of walking and climbing in bad weather, but never running.

1) I’m using a pair of Innov8 Orocs which should fit the bill, but they are not waterproof and are shoes rather than boots. Going to try and knock up some suitable gaiters from an old pair of overshoes to stop snow getting in, but I’ve been told cold feet is never a problem when running.

2) I have a pair of waterproof trousers for cycle commuting, they are decent and snug especially on the lower leg, but I still reckon they’d be bulky and cumbersome to run in. I reckon my balls and crotch would freeze in tights, I’m thinking of some cycling tights I have with a windproof front but my poor cheeks will freeze.

3) There are two stream crossings. I’m considering taking four plastic bags with rubber bands to stick on my feet at each crossing. It’s a long race and I’m shit and slow, so the time spent doing it isn’t going to matter much.

Any suggestions? I do MTFU often but since the conditions could be proper serious I want to plan as best I can.

richardk
    Free Member

Wouldn’t bother with bags or gaiters, if the top of your legs get wet then that will seep down into your shoes. Cycling tights will be good, especially unpadded ones… As long as your legs are covered, then you’ll stay warm through the heat generated by running. Make sure your socks are comfy, as getting wet will expose an potential blister points.

Good luck!

bajsyckel

Most of the fell races I’ve done have been in the snow. Personally I don’t bother with a waterproof anything (a “windproof” if the organisers insist) tights if it’s very cold and/or windy, maybe a skinny hat and gloves. I sometimes use merino socks as my shoes are usually so vented/holey that they will dry quickly (faster than socks). Usually I’m overdressed compared to most of the serious club runners who consider anything more than a vest overcomplicating it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually, given snow, a windproof is a good idea. Shame mine’s white – good visibility when cycling, not so good in a blizzard!

The forecast is heavy snow and 50mph winds btw.. although just checking that looks like Friday, Saturday seems better. Good!

I just don’t like those bits of ice that form in the top of your shoes when running in snow. They make cold spots that hurt even if my feet are generally warm.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t worry about getting your feet (or anything else) wet. Wet isn’t a problem so long as they’re warm – just make sure you have socks which keep your feet warm when wet (ie wool, not cotton). Also snow isn’t actaully anywhere near as horrible as you might think as you don’t tend to get very wet – it’s +1 and rain which is the real problem. Just wear some warm tights, and a good set of layers on your top.

theteaboy
    Free Member

There are 2 issues: safety and comfort.

For safety, if it’s a FRA race, you need to carry at least the FRA minimum kit. That means full waterproof body cover, including hat and gloves. If it’s not a FRA race, it’s a good idea to carry it anyway. Break your ankle in the snow and you’ll be hypothermic in minutes.

For comfort, I usually just wear a couple of layers in the snow. Lower body, I have some Helly merino boxers and normal running tights. After river crossings your feet will be so cold they hurt, but they should warm up again after a few minutes with the wetsuit effect!

I’m in here somewhere: http://www.photos-dsb.co.uk/als092/index.html. It must have been cold: even Brownlee wore a t shirt!

Pieface

Decent loop stitched woollen socks will be fine. Any attempt at waterproofing your feet is futile and pointless. There will be an initial coldness but will soon go away as your feet are very active. You will be fine in tights, if not your not going fast enough.

Wearing plastic bags / waterproof trousers will mark you out as a punter.

The Oroc’s should be fine if there’s ice, if not regular fell shoes should be fine.

The fastest may well be in shorts, vest and hat and gloves, maybe even a smelly helly if its really cold.

The race organiser will probably insist on you carrying waterproof trousers as your spare kit anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not FRA (had to google that).

The following items are compulsory:

*Trail running shoes (no trainers allowed)
    *To be carried on your person: torch, compass, cell phone, whistle
    * To be carried in your rocket pack: warm jacket, a good quality (real) waterproof jacket, food and water (1 litre)

We also strongly recommend that your personal clothing includes the following:

*Full length running tights or trekking trousers (military issue or civilian)
    * A good quality base layer (Icebreaker or Helly Hansen for example)
    *Windproof outer layer
    *Hat and gloves
    *Good quality thick socks

Useful extras include: sunglasses with gloomy weather lenses, spare laces (I have seen dreams shattered by broken laces), spare socks, gators, small first aid kit (plasters and bandage).

I may have accquired a small amount of outdoor gear over the years *ahem* it’s just waterproof or windproof leg cover I don’t have. We’ll see how it goes though, if the wind dies it’ll be a walk in the park. If it doesn’t, I’ll stick the trousers in the rucksack.

Wearing plastic bags / waterproof trousers will mark you out as a punter

That’s exactly what I am 🙂 Although the bags would only have been worn for 30 seconds… I thought that was quite a good idea.. 🙂

footflaps

I used to fell race in winter in Drylete tights, they don’t absorb water and are warm when wet. As for wet feet, that’s just expected and if you’re moving quickly they’ll warm up from blood flow. Just wool socks inside PB Walshes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right well if I get hypo-death then I’ll blame you all.

allthepies
    Free Member

the teaboy make a great point re: safety and carrying stuff if things go wrong. No-one thinks it will happen to them I guess but if you find yourself unable to move in such conditions then it could get a bit hairy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah.. I’m well cautious, should be ok. I’ll the trousers, waterproof top, extra fleece – will be wearing a base layer and apex top, perhaps a thin fleece too if it’s cold. Thin gloves and maybe thick ones too, hat and maybe balaclava in case of wind blown snow. Some may get left in the car if it’s not as bad as expected.

Not going for wool – soaks up too much sweat.

mushrooms
    Free Member

If it is snowing I would wear a cap or glasses to keep the snow out of my eyes.
    I wear a long sleeve breathable top and a gilet if it’s really cold, I pull the sleeves over my hands until my hands warm up instead of gloves.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Neoprene socks are great for winter running. Won’t keep your feet dry but they will be warm!

Personally I’d carry full water proofs if it’s that windy as they will be far more wind proof than windproofs and therefore warmer if you need them to be. Even if they sem a bit bulky.

In my experience most fell runners have a fairly lax attitude to personal responsibility when in racing mode. Think about what you would take on a run of the same duration and conditions and take that kit…

hopevalley

Where are you racing molgrips?

I ran marsden to edale last week in 3/4 tights and a LS baselayer with a wind proof cycling gilet and some arm warmers plus a buff and light gloves… The elite lads were in shorts and a baselayer 🙂 but I was an hour behind them!

I’d carry full waterproofs and plenty of grub in a light pack or bumbag! Make sure your navigation is good too if its likely to be snowing hard… Last thing you want is to get lost!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s this Fan Dance thing in the Beacons – some SAS malarkey. Almost 900m so it’s going to be wild – hence the waterproofs.

MrSparkle

My advice on fell running in winter is … Do Mr Sparkle’s Dark Un!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m in here somewhere: http://www.photos-dsb.co.uk/als092/index.html. It must have been cold: even Brownlee wore a t shirt!

Good to see some people dressed appropriately for a change.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a feeling that if I can get to the start, it’s going to be epic!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Thanks for posting the link the teaboy, I wasn’t sure if the Brownlee’s could be even more inspirational to me but that just about does it.

Sod winter in SA, nothing like a 10 miler in the snow across a moor or two, brilliant.

timber

Most the guys we see going up Pen-y-Fan wear the same stuff regardless of the time of the year. One of the guys at work is part of the mountain rescue and isn’t the most sympathetic of fell runners that get into trouble.

Hill will be fine, car park at Storey Arms / Pont-ar-Daf was about 2 inches of packed snow / 4″ unpacked at lunch time, saw the SAS wagon up there. Storey Arms traffic camera will giv a good idea of coverage. Paths not too bad, snow will be double at the summits.

djglover
    Free Member

Did the cardington cracker in 2010, my first fell race, it was well below 0 with wind-chill c-15 to -20.

I wore a base layer and pertex montane fetherlite + ron hill tracksters. I was fine, I was beaten by a vet +60 wearing shorts and a vest and hat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well shorts and tshirt might be ok if you are fast, don’t get tired and don’t hurt yourself. As for 4″ of snow.. yeah this is BEFORE the major blizzard is forecast to arrive.. 🙂 suspect at least some running will be substituted for fighting waist deep snow, at least for the front runners.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Advice on fell running/racing in winter weather’ is closed to new replies.