Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • advice on chain guides & bashguards
  • grimupnorth
    Free Member

evenin all,

looking for some advice/guidance on chain guides & bashguards.

fancy getting the above on my current build.

was originally looking to stay with the triple ring and team it up with either a blackspire big ring protector or mrp xcg triple triple chain device……I've kicked that idea into touch and now fancy going for a dual ring & chain device combo.

anyone got any experience of that sort of setup?

just trying to get some ideas of what I should be looking for….I know blackspire, e13, gamut et al all make 'em in varying flavours.

just to get an idea of which make would be the easiest to setup/install.

also if it's not a dumb question but how does the chain shift between the two rings? I know the arm of the front derailleur must move the chain initially……but does the roller of the chain device move aswell????

questions, questions, questions!

cheers 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rollers stay in one place – step up rollers. The roller has a grove for running in the main ring then the chain steps up on to the roller shoulder when in the granny ring. You won't notice any difference in shifting. I use a Blackspire stinger, easy to install, quiet and have never dropped the chain.

grimupnorth
    Free Member

hey pal,

I had seen the stinger on the blackspire web site. Looks like it can be teamed up with most of the bashguards in their range?

the other one that caught my eye was the P30 dual chain guide from gamut. This looks a great piece of kit……..but it doesn't look as sturdy as the blackspire though.

it's a tough call.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

They are both good, P30 is probably a bit more bling though. And yeah you can match the stinger up with pretty much any bashguard.

XTR crank, crappy old saint bash ring and stinger – works a treat.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

+1 Stinger

I run it with a Gamut P20

Make sure you use loctite on the roller wheel screw!

grimupnorth
    Free Member

nice, that's the type of setup I'm after.

did you have any probs getting it all setup and working with your front mech???

Kbrembo
    Free Member

East setup but I did loose the roller wheel round Laggan on it's maiden journey… Hence loctite on the threads!

No problems with front mech,I have not adjusted a thing yet but did manage to shift chain onto the bashguard 😯

nickegg
    Free Member

E13 Heim2 on the hardtail, Gamut P30 on my full-sus and MRP XCG Triple on my wife's bike.

All were a piece of pee to fit but only the E13 has been used in anger. Does what it's supposed to do and has made my bike ALOT quieter in the process. A week in the Alps should be a good test for the other 2 devices!

Better go and loctite the Gamut grub screw now as i forgot to do it when i fitted it 😳

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘advice on chain guides & bashguards’ is closed to new replies.