Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Advice on car speakers
  • chvck
    Free Member

I recently swapped cars to a pickup and I've fitted a pretty decent head unit that I bought a couple of years ago. The problem that I have is that the speakers aren't really up to much so I'm looking to replace them with some nice components (only need 2) but have no idea what's good etc…!

Ideally I want really good bass (at both low and high volume) and generally good quality sound…budget isn't exactly high, say about 50 squids. Any help would be much appreciated!

Milkie
    Free Member

£50 you are still in the budget range, you're not going to get good bass & good quality from a £50 2 way car speaker. Pretty much anything is going to be an improvement over factory fitted speakers.

Pioneer do replacement speakers for most types of cars. You'll need to find out what type of fitting you need, and what size speakers you need. Or take the old ones out, and see whats similar size and things.

stumpy01

The Pioneer website used to have a thing where you told it what car you owned and it would come up with a list of speakers that will fit.

I had two fairly small direct replacement Pioneer speakers in my last car and they were absolutely streets ahead of the original speakers. Only cost about £35-£45 (can't remember exactly).

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

If I were you i'd just head up to Halfords and get whatever they've got on offer.

caraudiodirect are good for cheap car hi-fi bits too.

krag
    Free Member

I recently bought some Infitity's 6×9's from halfords that they had on offer. Sounds suprisingly good for the money and better than the alpines they had for the same price.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Recommended site:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/component.html

Spend as much as you can, get the biggest diameter drivers you can (bust out the jigaw if you have to!) and check the mounting depth on your doors.

Add a 4 channel amp later if at all possible. They will sound much better than direct from the head unit.

Then consider a small sub later if you've got space!

Then…

😉

chvck
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips all, gravity-slave I only have 2 speakers in the car and definately no space for a sub or an amp! (well could probably fit one under a seat, might be a tad warm tho).

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use infinity components in the van, vast improvement on the stock ford offerings, I paid less than £50 on the bay for brand new including the crossovers etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Advice on car speakers’ is closed to new replies.