Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Advice on buying a used car? – Outstanding finance
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’ve been on the look of for a replacement used car. I’ve seen one i like the look of at a nearby ford dealer but having done a car check online have found it has outstanding finance on it. I’ve spoken to the garage who say the finance is due to them effectively having a loan to have the car on their forecourt while allowing them to have cash available. Does this sound right? It could well be but it’s been 8 years since I bought a car and I’ve no idea. Any advice would be great.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yes fairly normal, called stocking loans, if it’s a genuine ford dealer if not be worried if it was some back street dealer I wouldn’t touch it mind

bigblackshed

whereisthurso
    Free Member

That’s reassuring and the garage does have a lot of good reviews. Any other advice on haggling or just things I should check for?

russyh
    Free Member

As above, it’s common practice for dealers to have unit stocking loans on vehicles. If you look at the term on your vehicle data check it will be for a very short period. There is nothing to worry about, the financial market is there so if the garage go belly up the finance house have title over the vehicle. It’s automically cleared usually when you pay for the vehicle through a feed on their DMS system.

In terms of haggling, nothing much has changed. Ignore the bullshit you hear on adverts from we buy any car. There is no benefit to a cash deal. Just work out what you are comfortable paying and try and work out a deal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Advice on buying a used car? – Outstanding finance’ is closed to new replies.