Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Advice needed – would you appear in a TV documentory?
  • project
    Free Member

It could be,

“Homes under the hammer”, the repo programe,if things go bad,

“House detectives”, if they find some dodgy dealings ,

“My house is falling down”, with Sarah Beeney,

“Big Brother”, with added cameras,

“Cowboy builders” with Dominic Littlewoods,

“Diggers” of channel 5 where they knock the house down,

any other suggestions,

Oh and i think you should do it, be nice to put a face to the typed words, and the very best of luck to you and your neighbours.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its a documentray simply on the scandal with edinburgh council statutory notices. a one off

Junkyard
    Free Member

take one for the team TJ just think what the thread will be like when it is on the telly.
    I have no serious advice in this area but best of luck.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I feel very suspicious have been embarrassed by journalists many years ago. However equally I want to see this scandal blown wide open at least to stop anyone else getting stung.

Background stories from the scotsman on this for anyone interezsted

http://news.scotsman.com/news/30m-works-lead-to-calls.6374183.jp
    http://news.scotsman.com/news/MSP-demands-overhaul-of-city.6576595.jp
    http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/More-staff-suspended-in-statutory.6743508.jp
    http://business.scotsman.com/edinburghcouncil/Planning-officer-drawn-into-city.6780386.jp

maccruiskeen

any other suggestions,

Poltergeist 🙂

Sounds more current affairs that documentary (TJ’s situation, not Poltergeist). TJ, if you think it checks out go for it. Be aware that the TV crew aren’t working for you, and that they’ll already have decided what they are going to say, and in fact – they’ll have already have decided what you’re going to say – whether you say it or someone else does.

They’ve already sold the idea to the channel’s commissioning editor, and they have to deliver on that, no matter what the facts they encounter along the way. If you think they are aiming in the right direction, and are happy that you and your situation will presented in a pretty one-dimensional manner, so long as the cause is good one, then go for it.

Don’t get carried away

donsimon
    Free Member

I feel very suspicious have been embarrassed by journalists many years ago. However equally I want to see this scandal blown wide open at least to stop anyone else getting stung.

Just be yourself, I can’t see any possible way that you’d not convince the general public to the wrongdoing you’ve suffered.

aracer
    Free Member

Only do it if they’ll give you editorial control 😉

Having been featured extensively in coverage of sports events filmed by a company where I’m on first name terms with the boss and most of the usual crew I’m pretty wary about what I say to camera, as even they do a good job of editing to suit their agenda (not in a really bad way – we’re still friends!) Think twice or three times before opening your mouth.

DenDennis
    Free Member

Jeebus, is that scottish law or local edinburgh council?
    I’ve been stung by freeholder repair bills myself and it drives one mental, but not in that sort of region…

I wouldnt do the doc but if you are, try not to sign anything until you’re happy of the content as far as you can be….

Also if the Architect has been as bad as you allege you’d be advised to report them to the ARB disciplinary board.

Best of luck with all

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

denDennis – the total billwill be around 1.5 million at a guess – the council will not tell me. Its all rather complicated and will probably need a coutrt case to settle the split but If I get away with less than £80 000 i will be doing well. it could be nearly double that

Oh the architect is going to be reported – for leaving me with apotentially lethal chimney as well as attempting to get around listed building requirements. He will (hopefully) never get another rcouncil contract – thats a nice little earner for him gone.

maccruiskeen

I wouldnt do the doc but if you are, try not to sign anything until you’re happy of the content as far as you can be….

I’m afraid its sign first…… and thats it. Don’t fantasize about having some sort of editorial veto.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m afraid its sign first…… and thats it. Don’t fantasize about having some sort of editorial veto.

No problemo, Tandem bullshining? No way José!

alpin
    Free Member

don’t come across like a crazy person.

tricky one, that….. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

alpin – Member

don’t come across like a crazy person.

tricky one, that…..

You must be confusing me with some one else

Kit
    Free Member

I have arranged a meeting with the journalist on Thursday. Ill check her out

TJ, I didn’t know you had it in you, you old sexist misogynist, you!

😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Just a wild guess – would the TV Co put you in touch with someone (or more than one) they’ve dealt with previously, in the same sort of way?

Good luck

TheFlyingOx

I’m very interested in the outcome of this TJ. We’re in roughly the same boat. £14,500 original quote for refacing some sandstone blocks on our tenement, currently sitting at a tad over £130,000 for “work completed”. The drawings we have indicate that a total of 32 blocks have been refaced. The only thing I can think the cost relates to is 19 months of scaffolding hire. The refacing took about 3 weeks, spread out over those 19 months. They’ve recently had the cheek to quote us for installing plastic pigeon deterrents on the top floor windows for the bargain-basement price of £800 per window. They were told in no uncertain terms to **** off. The Brucie Bonus is that while they were working on the chimney stack, contractors came in to disable our fire. It a) now no longer works, and b) won’t be on anyway until they come back and do a proper smoke test rather than just informing my wife that “they didn’t really disturb anything in the chimney”.

I’m pinning my hopes on the council blurb indicating that they are able to reclaim “all reasonable costs” incurred in maintaining the building, and 19 months scaffolding ain’t reasonable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the flying ox yup – thats the position I am in only on sums ten times that- email me if you want more info.

You need to make a formal complaint

BigJohn

It is very difficult to find a single person who has been featured in a TV programme or newspaper article and who says “Yes, that was an accurate reflection of my side of the story”.

Remember that documentaries are just a part of the entertainment industry and their directors want to construct a sensationalist story.

If you’re OK with that, and can exercise a little more restraint than you sometimes demonstrate here, go for it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I am the victim in this case and the council are the baddies.

That could well change if it’s your online persona that comes through on film… 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

if you do appear you need to get as many singletrack user name references in as possible 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a very good friend who has worked as an AP on many reality shows – Secret Millionaire, Bear Grylls, The Choir, and many others – she once said to me – don’t EVER go on reality TV – it doesn’t matter what you say, what a level headed, nice guy you are…they can (and most likely will) make you look like a nutter if they fancy the idea.

So what’s it going to be?

Markie
    Free Member

My wife was a ‘contestant’ (for want of a better word!) on SAS: Are You Tough Enough some years ago. Perhaps some of her learnings are relevant to you:

Anything that they film you doing will be shown if they want it to be. A man who had been selected for the show asked if they would would please not show anything they filmed of him talking about either his children or his soon to be ex-wife. He wanted to avoid adding to the messiness of his divorce. They said no. Basically, you being emotional, or out of control, or on the edge will be used to make good TV for them, and their usage may not provide an accurate reflection of the situation at the time, let alone who you are or where you’re at.

They will edit what they film to make what they think is a good TV show – this may not be a TV show which reflects the truth on the ground.

They will edit you to make you appear as they wish you to – and have probably chosen you for filming because they see a ‘character’ in you that will make good TV.

That said, my wife loved her time filming the program and the program itself! Then again, she did it for ‘fun’, your situation is more serious. I guess I see you as having to balance what you think you can gain from having your situation televised vs what you have to lose. I would suggest in your case you have more to lose (perhaps by being portrayed in some unfortunate way) than you have to gain (I can’t see a council being pressured by a TV programme of this sort UNLESS it gains traction in the wider media world). But hey, I told my wife that doing SAS would suck, so what do I know (witness also my iPad experience!)!

BigJohn

I can imagine the editorial meeting

“Yes I know the whole bully-boy council idea’s a bit stale, but we’ve found this guy…you remember Maureen from the driving school…”

cbrsyd
    Free Member

Presumably the programme has been commissioned and will go ahead whether or not you participate?

If that’s the case the only reason to appear would be because you think your appearance will better represent the case against Edinborough Council. But as many have said the programme will have an agenda so I don’t think your appearance will contribute one way or another to the outcome.

So it boils down to whether you want your 15 minutes of fame or infamy if it goes badly. Personally wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole but would use the programme to help lobby politicians to fight what do seem scandalous charges and good luck with that.

DenDennis
    Free Member

This is mental. Can the council charge costs for works on any privateley owned building they want or is it something to do with previously council-owned building stock?

If your chimney is in an unstable condition TJ you should get the scotch equiv of building control round to condemn it- they would be a separate body to those carrying out the works, no?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Den – the council put in a statutory notice on any building in need of repair. If theowners do not repair it the council will do and the owners have no say in it at all. the owners are obliged to pay the bill.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting points folks. I am meeting the journalist tomorrow. I have told her I am sceptical about the whole business.

From what I understand its an investigative documentary but a one off. Not a fly on the wall or reality show.

My experiences will be used to illustrate the issues – but they need a talking head which would be me. My experience is one of the worst in this scandal so it would put more pressure on the council to have mine out in the open air.

DenDennis
    Free Member

TJ- so I guess in future, the lesson is owners will look to get together quick sharp and employ their own tradesmen…. how much notice do you get?

In my experience the council’s notice ‘period’ was a formality, not real consultation, as they’d already got the contractors mobilised,instructed and ready to go within 3 months- in EnglandLand we don’t get the option to do it yerself if part-owned by council

hels
    Free Member

Statutory Notices are not a new development, this has been going on in Edinburgh for years. There are so many tenement blocks (mine is 180 years old ! “Georgian” in Estate Agent Speak) where work needs done that has to be paid for by all the owners. The work just never got done which lead to a huge decline in the quality of housing.

I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the system came in during the 1970s, the laudable idea was that the council would deal with the admin side and pay contractors up front, then charge back the work individually to the owners for a 10-15% admin fee.

Worked well when it worked – the dividing wall needed rebuilt in our garden, that came to £650 per owner, which I paid off over two years as I had just bought the flat and was skint.

How it descended into the mire of fraud and corruption it seems to be now is anybody’s guess, as is the way forward.

Some roof repairs are under notice at my block and all the owners are rightly sitting on their hands until this is cleared up, as a private surveyor said and I quote “nothing needs done this is insane, it’s a few loose stones on a chimney on the next door building doesn’t even overhang your roof, get somebody shot etc” (OK I’m paraphrasing reported quote from my neighbour now but that was the gist).

I think you should go on the programme TJ !! This needs sorted !!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d be happy to, providing I got final say on the final cut of it before it went out, simple.

bigjim

I’d say don’t do it but if you do only identify yourself as “that Tandem Jeremy”.

We’ve still got scaffolding around our flat block for statutory repairs, been there for 7 months, was supposed to be 8 weeks. I’ve never seen people work so little, they do about an hours work in the morning, the rest of the time smoking and drinking in their tea hut, and they are usually gone by 3.30. They would do really weird things like start cutting stones they had already replaced, then filling in the cuts with filler a few days later after who I presume were council inspectors had been round to look at the works, seemed completely pointless and I’m sure they were making it look like they had to do more than they did.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Our building needed repair – there is no doubt about that. However the money spent is several times what it need have been. that is the main issue

It should have been a couple of hundred thousand and take a few months, its going to cost over a million and has taken nearly 5 years.

maccruiskeen

I’d be happy to, providing I got final say on the final cut of it before it went out, simple.

As I say – no such thing as a final say. Theres no reason or need for you to even see the film before its aired, let alone give it your blessing. You are not a collaborator in the process.

Express those reservations at the out set and the crew will simply shop elsewhere, they’re not going to waste time and tape on someone who’s self aware 🙂

bent_udder
    Free Member

I’m a journalist – I worked for newspapers and magazine for 15 years. I now advise organisations on media matters.

I think the best option for you is to provide the TV company with information only – don’t go in front of the camera. They’re looking for someone to personify the problems faced by people in your situation. As Maccruiskeen says, you won’t get veto, you are not a collaborator.

You don’t need to defend your reputation in this story – you’re someone affected by it. Therefore there’s no incentive for you to go on camera. It may affect any court case you decide to participate in, too.

Provide them with as much documentation as you can for them to use as a case study. Refuse to appear in front of the camera and also refuse to be named – put it in writing if need be.

Balance what you might have to gain from appearing on camera against what you potentially have to lose and make the decision based on that calculation.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta chaps – I have told here I will take part and can be a case study but I want to remain anonymous. Lets se3e what happens. if it kills it it kills it

bruneep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14965150

On tonight

Scotland’s Property Scandal will be broadcast at 22:35 on Tuesday 20 September on BBC1 Scotland, and on the iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14974206

hora
    Free Member

Are these incompetent council workers going to strike in a month or so by any chance?

Macgyver

Heard this on Radio 4 this morning and remembered TJ’s dificulties and wondered if it was the same thing. The answer appears to be yes! Apparently the Police are looking into it which can only be a good thing. Whether it resolve TJ’s case is another matter of course.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup heard it too this morning. No mention of tandems though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed – would you appear in a TV documentory?’ is closed to new replies.