Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Advice needed on hardtails
  • livinbse
    Free Member

Hi,
    First post on here, and am looking for some advice on carbon hardtails frames.
    I recently bought a Grand Canyon CF SLX 29er at a bargain price, I think! That’s has Fox Factory 32 SC forks Sram XX1 shifters with xtr brakes, and everything else is carbon this and that, the only problem is it’s a small and being 6ft not right for me. I’m now after a hard tail frame to transfer all the kit to only problem not sure which ones don’t really want to spend more than £600 don’t mind second hand either, being more into the road, not up on the goods and bad of the xc scene, looked at the on one maccatuskil but not sure.
    Any help greatly appreciated, was also looking at the Yoeleo Chinese frames, but again not sure.
    Thanks in advance Paul

philjunior
    Free Member

From past experience, it’s not a bargain if its not the right size.

You probably want to carefully consider what frames you’ll be able to transfer the bits onto.

qwerty
    Free Member

You need to consider new frame geometry in order to end up with a bike that fits you, and then: head tube length and diameters, fork steerer length, head set type, seat post diameter, bottom bracket standard, frame drop out type, cable run lengths, if front mechanism then add seat tube mount style.

nickfrog
    Free Member

being more into the road, not up on the goods and bad of the xc scene

Sound like you don’t need a mountain bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sell it, increase your budget and buy something that fits

livinbse
    Free Member

I know I need to look at the Frame sizes Headtube, Fork Travel, BB etc to transfer kit onto, was just asking for advice on good frames for the money.

Nickfrog, Why don’t I need a Mountain bike?

honourablegeorge

Some super cheap Niner/Isaac frames on here that might suit… at 6ft you might want an XL in a Niner

livinbse
    Free Member

Thanks George, without sounding the idiot are they in the For Sale section, can I just search for Niner or Isaac
    or one of the pop up ads

thanks

richardthird

There’s a lovely Med Giant XTC carbon rolling frameset on eBay that would suit 😉

nickfrog
    Free Member

Nickfrog, Why don’t I need a Mountain bike?

Apologies ! I misread your initial post. I though it was mainly for road use!

Which it isn’t. Ignore me, most people do!

livinbse
    Free Member

No worries

spacey

Give us a bit more info on the type of riding you are planning to do and a few more suggestions might be forthcoming. Is it trail centres? Lake district? Peak? Messing about in the woods? Racing?

Switching the kit on to a new frame seems a good option to me

livinbse
    Free Member

Live in Suffolk so more in Thetford forest single track through woods no downhills to spk off and maybe the odd race or MTB sportive tracks are pretty good with a few tree roots. Really riding offroad to supplement the road riding when its to windy or crap weather but have been enjoying it so would like to upgrade.

At the moment I’m riding an old Gary Fisher Sugar Rush with FS

thanks to everyone

vincienup
    Free Member

A budget of up to £600 for a hardtail frame gives you a pretty good range of choice.

If you’re looking at transferring parts, the things you need to pay particular attention to are:

Wheel size.

Steerer type (almost certainly tapered now but worth making sure your existing fork isn’t straight 1 1/8)

Head tube length vs Steerer length of your existing forks. 29ers usually have quite short headtubes to keep front ends low.

Seat tube diameter and whether there are obstructions in the seat tube that will stop you dropping your post if not using a dropper.

Bottom bracket standard. There are many.

With these in mind, decide what sort of use you intend and look at frames with suitable geometry.

Don’t use regular grease on carbon parts, but a tube of carbon Grip stuff and It’s highly recommended you use a torque wrench for carbon.

Gotama
    Free Member

Some super cheap Niner/Isaac frames on here that might suit… at 6ft you might want an XL in a Niner

I would guess that there is no chance the forks from a small canyon frame would fit on an XL niner frame because of the headtube size on the latter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed on hardtails’ is closed to new replies.