Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Advice needed…
  • deviant
    Free Member

Bought a part for my bike which doesnt fit, spoke to the supplier who suugested i ‘modify’ my bike to make the part fit….i’m not overly keen to do this….for what its worth i was advised to take a file to my brake calipers and start removing material!….instead i asked if i could return the part and either have a refund or another item to the value of my original order….supplier has said returns and refunds can only be applied to components that are ‘as new’ and can be resold….the component i want to return is a brake rotor and in the fitting of said part and subsequent fiddling to get it to work (followed by the local bike shop doing the same thing the following day) there are brake pad marks on the rotor from spinning the wheel and applying the brakes in a (futile) effort to get the bloody thing working properly.

Surely this part is simply not fit for purpose and i am entitled to some kind of no quibble refund?…and surely the advice to simply hack away at the brake calipers in order to allow the fitting of a rotor is not the safest either!

I havent named the supplier yet as i have emailed again today and want to give them time to sort this properly, just wanted to know what my rights are in this situation?

wwaswas

In what way doesn’t it fit – is it the wrong diameter?

donsimon
    Free Member

Surely this part is simply not fit for purpose and i am entitled to some kind of no quibble refund?

I would imagine it is fit for purpose, it just isn’t fit for your purpose. Not the same thing.

Are we talking about “hacking” or “facing”?

fadda

Is it a simple question of a) did you order a part that doesn’t fit or is not compatible, or b) did the supplier provide the wrong part…?

timmys

Can we play a game of guess who? Superstar?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Google sale of goods act or consumer direct.

If the part does not fit and its the suppliers fault it does not ie its badly manufactured or in compatible with your bike and the retailer knew this then you are entitled to your money back.

Its about fitness for purpose.

deviant
    Free Member

The part is the correct diameter and is marketed as a bolt on replacement, no mention in the sales blurb about having to modify your calipers to fit.

The modification being advised is to remove or file away parts of the caliper that get in the way….i am gobsmacked a company would put out that kind of advice….i know we’re only talking about bicycles here but could you imagine a parts manufacturer in the car world telling a customer to permenently remove part of the brake caliper to fit replacement brake rotors?!…there is no way to tell if i’d done it ‘properly’ (if there is such a thing for a cowboy fix like this)…or if i’d compromised the structural integrity of my brakes….i’m not the fastest downhill but i do like to know my brakes will work if needed.

superdale
    Free Member

If it is just the brake mount that needs filing back then that should be ok to clear an aftermarket rotor – if you are talking about filing back the actual caliper then maybe you should stick with the OEM rotors?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

deviant – floating rotor? Buttons hitting the caliper?

deviant
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – yes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did you tell the retailer which callipers you have? did he tell you that they were incompatible with some callipers?

If you told him which calliper you have you have a cast iron case – not fit for purpose, if he didn’t tell you they were incompatible with some callipers then you have a decent case unless they are sold branded ie hope rotors you can expect to be compatible with all hope callipers, not necessarily with others

toys19
    Free Member

TJ you are too late the guessing game was won by timmys..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh I guessed that 🙂

If they are supposed to be universal fit than you are entitled to your money back as they are not fit for purpose. Name and shame 🙂

takisawa2

Superstar, without a doubt. Hope wouldnt advise anything like that. At least I’d HOPE not. 🙂

I fettled away a bit of Juicy caliper to run some Hope floaters, worked ok. They are 6yrs old though, so not worth owt. Hope floaters wont run on On-One carbon forks either. Or at least not on mine anyway.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its pretty clear on the Superstar website that some calipers need fettling to make them fit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

Its pretty clear on the Superstar website that some calipers need fettling to make them fit

Just had a quick glance and I can’t see it – it specifically states deep enough for big callipers

Linky?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Taki’s right on the Hope floaters / juicys, the Hope kit used to be an option on the P7 upgrades, but then they needed “modification” to make them fit.

deviant
    Free Member

nickjb – its not mentioned on the page featuring the rotors:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=453

….i ordered in good faith on the information supplied, no mention of needing to adapt the caliper, certainly no mention of having to file away or remove part of the caliper…if this had been pointed out during the order process then i wouldnt have ordered as it all seems a bit of a bodge job to me.

If you go to the customer reviews page then people have reported having to modify their calipers to make the discs fit….this should scream to Superstar that the calipers are shit and not fitting properly, scrap the line and find some that do fit properly….if its a common problem then Superstar need to put it on the page featuring the discs and clearly tell customers that the calipers may need fettling to make the discs fit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok – you know what to do.

The parts are unfit for purpose, you were not warned about possible incompatibilities, return for a full refund is your right.

donsimon
    Free Member

Comments make interesting reading.

stumpy01

There is a note about ‘potentially not fitting’ on the 180mm size, but not the 160mm or 200mm size. Although this refers to the post mount and not the actual caliper.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=455

Probably an oversight to not add it to the other sizes, not that it’s therefore excusable.

I would have thought it would be reasonable to ask for a refund. I’d take a screen dump of all three web pages (160, 180 & 200) in case they get ‘updated’ with a warning, send them as jpegs to their ‘customer service’ and ask why one page mentions fettling whereas the other ones don’t?
    I’d also mention that it says nothing about having to mess around with the actual caliper. There’s no way I’d be fudging my brake caliper to make a rotor fit.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed…’ is closed to new replies.