Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice from services types
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I have an odd problem, I arranged an “outside-ebay” sale for a bike part @ ~£100. It’s not arrived, 17 days after alleged Parcel Farce 48hr dispatch.

The guy is a Marine and seemed completely legit, but he’s now either ignoring my messages asking for the tracking no. or away killing Bin Laden.

I’m now going to draft a Small Claims Summons. Before I do that, is it worth writing to his CO to see if that gets him a kick up the arse?

landy813
    Free Member

I would go to his CO if have all his details, service number, bank details etc. as this would help to convince them your not blagging it and also in getting the right person. The last thing the Military wants is bad publicity so if you explained to the CO your plans to get your cash back it quite possible you would get your cash back.

or the Marine will just dig his heals in and take his chances in court, if he is away getting a suntan in Afghan or on a ship somewhere you may have a long wait.

The CO will tell you approximately how long you have to wait.

davetrave
    Free Member

Quite frankly, the CO won’t be interested in the private dealings of one of his Bootnecks and will pass it down the chain of command to the bloke’s Company Sregeant Major, who will likely get him in and tell him to get it sorted. That’s assuming he’s not out here with 3 Commando Brigade, but don’t expect any sort of indication of “approximately how long you have to wait”.

As far as “bad publicity”, come on, can you really see a news outlet being interested in an eBay auction dispute?!

That said, he may not be deployed out here although the Marines did start deploying at the start of April to replace the Paras and it takes a good month or so to do the full swap so it’s possible since he says he posted the stuff he has since boarded a plane for here. If you can give me an idea of his location it might indicate whether he was slated for deployment or not. Also, I’m ACU but am working with a couple of Bootnecks and have contacts in the RNRMCA so you could always send his details to me at the email address in my profile and I can ask around as well…

cynic-al
    Free Member

2 posts and conflicting advice, I love STW!

Worth a try I guess, but how do I find out who his CO is? Even if he was out there, he still might have internet access, and why would all contact only stop after I say I’ve had enough and want my money back…

He’s at:

E.S. Troop, Log Coy
    R.M. Condor
    45 Commando Royal Marines
    Arbroath

davetrave
    Free Member

Don’t know Landy’s background but I’m services, a member of the Forces cycling community, I’ve been a battalion Adjutant (the CO’s right-hand man and his letter opener, so have seen loads of this kind of thing crossing his desk – a CO will seriously not have the time or inclination) and I’m in the Land of Sand as we speak so would like to think I’ve got reasonably good credentials to back up my advice…!

45 Commando have been in Nad-e Ali since early April. Can you email me his name and I’ll ask around whether he’s come out with them or has stayed at home on the Rear Party…?

allthepies
    Free Member

He’s a commando and will hunt you down and terminate with extreme prejudice. Don’t mess!

davetrave
    Free Member

He’s a commando on the E(quipment) S(upport) troop, Log(istic) Company, so can’t be that good if he’s responsible for repairing the shelves that the blankets are stacked on…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice from services types’ is closed to new replies.