• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Advertorials….
  • thebunk

suck … 😕

nbt

*comments are closed*

camo16
    Free Member

Unless they are informative and well written. 8)

donsimon
    Free Member

Hi camo16, everything ok?

camo16
    Free Member

Excellent, Don Simon. Thanks for asking.

Yourself? A-OK?

* Goes back to writing informative advertorials, wishing people would give them the respect they deserve *

thebunk

OK, some are well written, but some also use the Daily Mail as an indirect source and that just rubs salt in the wound.

I don’t mind adverts, but why try have adverts masquerading as articles? Putting advertorial at the top doesn’t make it OK, by then you’ve already clicked on it and unintentionally shown that you think the bloody things are tolerable and they’ll keep doing it.

singletrackmatt

Advertorial = Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials = Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials= Wages = websites =so you can complain about advertorials

camo16
    Free Member

I don’t mind adverts, but why try have adverts masquerading as articles? Putting advertorial at the top doesn’t make it OK, by then you’ve already clicked on it and unintentionally shown that you think the bloody things are tolerable and they’ll keep doing it.

An advert masquerading as an article is more likely to be read than a pure advert. It looks more ‘honest’ (it isn’t, though) and it’s considered to be high profile, so companies usually pay more.

Must have written 500 in my time… 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

An advert masquerading as an article is more likely to be read resented than a pure advert

Surely?

camo16
    Free Member

An advert masquerading as an article is more likely to be read resented than a pure advert
    Surely?

That’s not what the salesman tells the potential advertiser, normally.

In reality, you’re probably right.

My job is rubbish. 😥

IanMunro
    Free Member

I hadn’t twigged it was an advertorial, I just stopped reading after a couple of sentences when it started to sound like the sort of drivel you’d get in runners world, or some local council sponsored fitness drive.
    Now I’ve looked again at it, and it even references the Daily Mail which made me chuckle.
    Could AdvertTrollerols the next big thing?
    I’m pressing refresh, so that Sainsbury’s thinks it’s worth a follow-up 🙂

Mark

Ads are strange things.. take the flash controversy. There’s been many threads on here from people complaining about them and questioning whether by being annoying they can possibly work at all as a successful marketing tool – and yet the more and ad is complained about the more it is clicked on. This is true. ten years of looking at the numbers has taught me that the ads complained about most work the best, by a long way. I agree that this is a little sad but it’s a fascinating insight into our own psyche really as consumers. If surveyed, most people (mostly men actually) state they take little notice of advertising and that advertising has little effect on their buying choices – which totally flies against all the measured research into the effectiveness of advertising.

Take other flash ads that frequent our site.. often the words, ‘annoying’, ‘flashy’, ‘irritating’ ‘arrgh!’, ‘make them stop!’, ‘I ignore them’, ‘I’ll not be buying from them…’ type responses are common. But then I look into our stats in the back end and guess which ads are clicked on more than any others… by an awful long way. From an advertisers POV the less obtrusive they make their ads the less effective they are.

Those Go Compare ads on the tellybox… Do you think anyone at all finds them anything but irritating? The people who produce them probably hate them just as much if not more.. But when asked to name car insurance comparison websites most people will put that brand high on their list of responses.

The psychology of advertising is truly fascinating.

Premier users get to switch off the majority of the advertising on this site anyway and Jon’s now added the words ‘Advertorial’ into the description of that story on the front page just to make it clearer for all.

Stoner
    Free Member

whilst you’re milking this cow then, when do you start selling our subscription details to marketing databases?….you know, to pay for websites and forums and things….

thebunk

I’ve got no issue with adverts on websites – huge respect to you guys for making any money out of this!

Any chance of labelling the links on the right as well, for those of us that mostly use the forum as the front page of the site?

Happy if you only do this for P subscribers too!

Example:

Cycling to a healthier future – CLICK HERE TO MAKE YOR FAVOURTE SITE SUM $$$$ FOR COFEE & FOOD U LAME NON SUBSCRIBING BOTTOM FEEDING LEECHES!!!!

Make it blink and change colour too.

Mark

Never have.. never will…
    Why the sudden cynicism over advertising? It’s always been this way. We’ve run advertorials in the past. The truth is we have so many commercial avenues to pursue that pay us for the work we do that we have no need at all and certainly no pressure to a) sell everything we can lay our hands on (mailing lists, databases etc.. or b) to allow commercial pressure to influence anything we do regarding reviews.

I’m absolutely certain that none of this will make the blindest bit of difference to the conspiracy theorists who think that our journalists are constantly taking back handers and are being pressured by Matt (our single ad sales manager) to lie in reviews.

In fact this post was probably a complete waste of my time

🙂

wwaswas

tbh, I suspect Sainsburys aren’t too bothered if anyone actually reads the text – it’s the links they’ve really bought – stw is well liked by google and they get some rankings kudos by association…

IanMunro
    Free Member

This is true. ten years of looking at the numbers has taught me that the ads complained about most work the best, by a long way.

Cool! I could make awesomely effective adverts 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

is it not like the Daily mail though people look at it but dont agree and tut or rant?

If true then there sure is some untapped talent on here if all you need to do is provoke a reaction.

molgrips
    Free Member

The psychology of advertising is truly fascinating.

I agree, and I’ve made the same point you have in many other discussions. The whole ‘adverts never make anyone buy anything’ line is clearly rubbish because they still do it. Companies are not that stupid.

However the advertorial makes me feel uneasy because it looks like it’s trying to trick me – the content isn’t even related to the product.. and being tricked is a massively negative emotion that’s now attached to a brand I did actually quite respect previously (Sainsbury’s btw, not ST 😉 )

However.. they keep doing advertorials so I guess they must work.

xiphon
    Free Member

wwaswas – nail -> head.

Sainsburys probably have something on mumsnet too, advertising 0% credit for buying new clothes….

DezB
    Free Member

Its a very strange place for an article, sorry advertorial, about taking up cycling 😕

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Advertorials….’ is closed to new replies.