Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Adventure show
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

The Adventure show

Probably the best thing to come out of Scotland.

onehundredthidiot

Confused by the guy in Nepal this week.

Concerned about the flattened houses, taking tents and sleeping bags nut wants to build a grand designs teahouse designed by a scotsman

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d thought the idea was to teach the underlying earth quake proof shelter so it could be replicated in the region?

Nipper99
    Free Member

never sure why this program isn’t syndicated over the whole BBC.

Spin
    Free Member

It could do without Duncan McCallum’s ill informed ramblings. Otherwise it’s a decent show.

scotroutes

That bit about gearing was painful

Spin
    Free Member

That was what I was thinking about although it’s far from an isolated example.

13thfloormonk

Yeah… there was some embarrassing nonsense getting spouted on that show last night, kind of put me off watching any more to be honest.

As a slight aside, there must be room on someone’s schedule for a decent six-part show on the famous treks or hikes across the world, one 6-8 day hike would surely yield enough good footage for an hour long show. Something like the Munro Show but for trekkers…

Spin
    Free Member

I remember back when the show started they were one of the first to showcase Danny Macaskill’s talents but chose to cut his slot to about 2 mins in favour of a segment of Spunkin McPhallus falling off his bike on a Moor. As you may gather, I’ve never forgiven them.

matt_outandabout

I like it.

It feels like most grass route events – great fun, slightly disorganised, everyone has a blather and an opinion.

It has opportunity to become a trekking/paddling/advert for Scotland’s adventure and nature tourism.

jamj1974

I thought this would be about the Adventure Game Show.

onehundredthidiot

I do enjoy it. Although the first one to show the puffer when they were a team of four with the big camper an lots of support and tears. Made me laugh as we were in a sodden tent just getting on with it, apart from the hysterical cramp.

scotroutes

Camerons festive specials should be just that.

fasthaggis

That bit about gearing was painful

Almost as much as the race leader guy at the Lecht feed station.
    I am sure he is #awesome ,but I need to know,was it a race? 😉

matt_outandabout

No, it’s a sportive. 🙄

Tbh, it more shows some of cyclng’s unique culture…

scotroutes

It is my understanding that part(a large part) of the Adventures Show creators brief from the BBC is that it must focus on competitive sport. Sure, they’ll throw in a bit about Cameron McNeish walking somewhere, or chatting about a piece of kit, but there’s always some event being covered. It does seem to have managed to shake off a little of that, like the piece on Nepal, but I know this has been a restriction in the past. It’s possible they over-egged the competitive nature of the sportive in order to satisfy this requirement.

Northwind

Always enjoy their fort william coverage. The show’s not been the same since they banned dougie from smashing his head in though.

epicyclo

Northwind – Member
    Always enjoy their fort william coverage. The show’s not been the same since they banned dougie from smashing his head in though.

It was always interesting to watch the ‘Puffer reports with Dougie suffering like the rest of us.

They make it sound proper hard…

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Dougie is a decent bike rider to be fair. He managed to finish the Snow Roads 300k Audax before the cut off. That’s a tough tough ride that’s seen me quit due to injury/illness twice. Although to be fair my cimpletion times were 6 and 7 hours quicker than his in worse weather conditions.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

The adventure show makes for great viewing but…
    Along with itv’s cycle show and last weeks country file * ive noticed a trend towards portraying cycling as an extremely demanding pastime.
    Words such as ‘gruelling’ , ‘grinding’ and ‘punishing’ seem to feature prominently, alongside footage of ridiculously steep ascents.
    Does this put people off cycling? Probably.

Maybe it’s time that the mainstream media featured more pedelec bikes in their programmes, and put the fun/ enjoyment sp. back into cycling and leave the grimaces behind.

Im sure it’s possible to find activities that combine adventure with accessibility, something regular mortals can participate in.

*on the climb up that stretch of the NCN in Sutherland, surely she should have been on a pedelec?

Props though to all the participants of these elite events, grimacing through the rain.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Was Desiree in it this time? Aaah….Desiree….

matt_outandabout

I think I need to turn up on an electric assist bike for that event next year…. 😀

back2basics
    Free Member

@greatbeardedone hits the nail on the head.

it seems every event they shown is all about the gruel and the punishment – running / cross country events also now.
    although its nice to see that from our POV and understand some of the things that can be done in Scotland, would be nice if they put in more low – key stuff that everyone could enjoy that could still be classed as an “adventure”, the great walks of scotland for example – and those walks by the old beardy guy covered that somewhat.

i’m getting a little bored of the repetitive nature of the same events covered almost every year.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

What’s wrong with covering the gruel and punishment? The ultimate goal should never be to get every tom dick and harry to take up our sport should it?

It’s great to have coverage of a purer side of the sport, races with history, winners who train until they pass out, real sport.

dragon
    Free Member

Not in Scotland but Julia Bradbury has done a load of series on walking different routes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There are masses of outdoor programmes, Adventure show is the only one that comes to mind that focusses on the higher end events.

I can’t see anyone thinking about buying a bike, then watching Doogie blawin oot his arse on the snow roads audax, and them then thinking sod that….

And Dan + 1. If only they could squeeze Liz Bonnin in alongside Desiree….

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Adventure show’ is closed to new replies.