Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Advanced CRB check – what actually shows up?
  • devash
    Free Member

I’m applying for a couple of teaching positions in further education colleges (I’m a university lecturer / researcher by trade but teaching positions are now few and far between and the college / further education sector is actually now a better paid option) and due to the fact that I’ll be working with people under the age of 18, an advanced CRB / disclosure is required.

I have two spent cautions on my record for stupid things that happened as a teenager. The first one was when a mate and I got were drunk one night and accidentally broke a window, we admitted it and paid for the damage but still got a caution for criminal damage.

The second one was when I wrote off my car three months after passing my test. It wasn’t even a bad crash, no injuries or anything, I called the police voluntarily (because I didn’t know you don’t need to call them if there has been no damage to property and the car isn’t blocking the road) speed had nothing to do with it (bad / wet conditions) and it was more down to inexperience than anything else. The police still gave me a caution for ‘driving without due care and attention’ which in retrospect was a bit harsh.

All this happened within a year (aged 18). Typical stuff that happens to you when you are a teenager. I’ve had a basic CRB check for one job and neither of these two showed up, but there seems to be some ambiguity over whether I’ll need to put these down on a job application that requires an advanced disclosure.

From the info I’ve read on the UK police website, since 2013 cautions which are not related to violence/sexual offenses AND are older than 6 years old will not show up on an advanced CRB check, and therefore you do not have to declare them on your application form. Pre-2013, everything would show up, and you’d have to declare everything lest the job you were applying for reject your application on the grounds that you had lied to them.

Has anyone had any experience with advanced CRB checks? What actually shows up?

duckman

Put it this way,I started teaching in 2004. I was asked about my two convictions from 1985-87 when I first registered with the GTC!

devash
    Free Member

Yeah, I think that was how it worked pre-2013 (i.e. everything shows up) but the post-2013 system seems a little ambiguous.

Junkyard
    Free Member

not sure what you have read but it is the DBS now

Enhanced DBS checks – which convictions and cautions can be disclosed?
    Most spent convictions and cautions are disclosed on enhanced DBS certificates. However,
    some old and minor convictions and cautions are filtered so that they are not automatically
    included. This means that the disclosure of certain convictions and cautions will not be required
    once a certain period has passed. These periods are as follows:
    – Cautions and warnings: will not be disclosed after 6 years from the date of the caution
    (If received when under the age of 18, this period is: 2 years)
    – Convictions that did not result in a prison or suspended prison sentence: will not be
    disclosed after 11 years from the date of the conviction
    (If received when under the age of 18, this period is: 5½ years)
    All convictions will be disclosed if there is more than one on an individual’s record. This rule
    does not apply to cautions.
    Certain convictions and cautions will never be filtered and will always be disclosed on DBS
    checks. This applies to offences committed under the Sexual Offences Act 2003, for example. A
    full list is set out in Article 2A(5) of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order
    1975 and is available on the DBS’s website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbslist-of-offences-that-will-never-be-filtered-from-a-criminal-record-check

https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/sites/default/files/(3)%20Enhanced%20DBS%20checks1.pdf

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Advanced CRB check – what actually shows up?’ is closed to new replies.