Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Adult's BMX – where to start?!
  • jamesmio
    Free Member

If one was looking at picking up something for practising jumps / generally fannying around the Skills park / 4 X track at Mabie on, say a BMX or such like, where the heck do you start!?

I’ve not looked at BMX’s since I was about 14 (many years ago), and even then never owned one, and would really rather like not to end up buying something that was built for a 6 year old.

Budget-wise, I can’t justify spending a fortune on one, but wouldn’t be averse say to something second-hand if was a better buy than new.

£200 max would be about my limit, less if at all possible!?

If anyone’s got a few suggestions (i.e. what are the ‘if in doubt, get an XYZ’s of the BMX/ jump bike world?) that’d be really cool?

jamesmio
    Free Member

edited

wwaswas

you can edit the thread title yourself.

_tom_
    Free Member

Something with a 21″ TT and trails geometry (as opposed to street or park) would probably be a good start. Deluxe make lovely stuff but probably a bit over budget. Just trawl pinkbike or bikeguide classifieds for a bit.

I suddenly wish I never sold my bmx 🙁 but tbh my 26″ Chameleon jumps better and gets round the pump track quicker, which I was actually surprised about.

I’m tempted by a Sunday Model C, they’re 24″ but from all accounts I’ve read they actually ride like a 20″ but with a bit more stability and roll over bumps a bit easier which would be good for lesser maintained tracks and jumps.

Also 22″ wheels are starting to pick up a bit of steam in the bmx world. The S&M Dirt bike 22’s look awesome.

shifter
    Free Member

It’s never the autocorrect’s fault.

Best place to start is deciding whether you want 20″ or 24″ wheels. 22″ hasn’t really taken off yet and wheels and tyres are very limited (it’s the Holmes which is now 22″ Tom, not the Dirt Bike).

And for £200 go for something used.

By the sound of the original post, a 4X bike might be a better option than a BMX.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ah yeah, my mistake. This thing does look great though 😀 I’m gonna try and have a go on a Faction to try and decide. After years on 26″ a 20″ bmx feels too sketchy for me, I’m not a good/smooth enough rider to get away with it!

scuttler

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlFJ6T-uNvA[/video]

goby

I got an old mongoose expert bmx, and use it at lunch times at work to go play on the bmx track. Have to admit it did feel funny to start with but put some higher rise/wider bars on and not to bad now, you sure get smoother at learning jumps when your tyres are at 50psi!
    A longer top tube would be nice but for hacking about on its just the job, when then swap back to the holeshot its seems so much more relaxed and jumpable to its great! Do it!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with old boys riding 20″ wheels 🙂

43 years young and still occasionally get the bmx out the shed for a mince about at the track or park.
    5’10” on a 21.25 TT 4130 cromo race frame. Strong enough for trails and street too, but dropouts probably would survive pegs being used.

[/url]
    park bmx by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    bmx by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img]

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

That S&M does look great though. I sold my Next Gen Holmes last year and it was spot on apart from the weight.
    The 24″ cruisers i’ve ridden have always felt a little odd although i suppose a couple of laps is hardly enough to get used to it.

sharkattack

Just trawl THIS SECTION of Pinkbike. Lots and lots of very cheap jump bikes.

I use a Charge Blender but have had a Commencal MaxMax. I wouldn’t really look at BMX’s if you want it for jumps and 4x tracks. Learn to jump on a 26 inch bike and the skills are instantly transferrable to your trail or DH bike.

BMX’s are great for street and park but that kind of riding is a bit of an art form and your mtb experience is worth nothing. It will be pretty depressing starting from scratch in a park full of spotty kids who can bang out whips, flips and barspins all day long. I rode BMX for years but I can barely sit on one now. The difference between the big and little bike is just too much for me to get tuned into both of them at the same time.

xiphon
    Free Member

Here’s my 20″ weapon…. Redline Flight XXL (21.75″ TT)

@rusty trowel Loving the Brew!

@mike-at-dialledbikes Having ridden the ancient pink Prince Albert mk1 for a while (and battered the life out of it at Fort William), your MX20R is on my shopping list!

Coyote
    Free Member

Check out *this place* for some pretty good bargains.

xiphon
    Free Member

Coyote – don’t you mean -> This Place <-

_tom_
    Free Member

sharkattack, I’m exactly the same. Started out riding on bmxes (street and park) when I was in my teens but got myself a trailstar in about 2007 and learnt to jump on that so I’ve never quite felt comfortable at the jumps on a 20″. Shame as I really love bmx and the look/feel of a clean bmx! Hence why I’m looking at the Model C..

I had a Blender and wish I didnt sell it. Chameleon is nice but just not the same!

_tom_
    Free Member

Edit – double post

sharkattack

Yeah I know the feeling. I love the bikes and the riding and miss the social scene I used to be a part of. That doesn’t change the fact that when I stopped I just couldn’t get back into it. It’s just really bloody hard!

I still have a mint S&M Stricker hanging up in the garage but I feel so awkward on it. Even bunny hops and 180’s feel stiff and stupid. I used to be able hop to bar height easy and send 360 drops all day.

I might look like a good idea when you see amazing video sections of people doing incredible stuff on a BMX but the reality is it’s a full time job to be decent. That’s why the best riders are always young kids or total drop outs with nothing else to do. I speak from experience!

I’ll stick to big wheels from now on. I ride trails and DH and now that trail bikes are so good and enjoyable I’m faster and fitter then ever. Plus the skills from one bike feed into the other. The Blender comes out for the occasional session of jumps and drifts at the BMX track and I’m quite happy with it.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Been wondering about this myself… Saying that I have a small to me (medium) Chameleon frame and various mtb parts sitting around. would I be better off riding that at the BMX track or should I buy a BMX?

_tom_
    Free Member

My chameleon (14″) is great for jumps and is better/faster on a pump track than my Trail Scout bmx was.

sharkattack

Been wondering about this myself… Saying that I have a small to me (medium) Chameleon frame and various mtb parts sitting around. would I be better off riding that at the BMX track or should I buy a BMX?

Just use what you have. A Chameleon is perfect if that’s what you have lying around.

The essence of what I was trying to say is that riding BMX with any kind of skill is a very steep learning curve for a life long mountain biker and the skills won’t necessarily transfer right back to your trail bike as the bikes feel completely different.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Adult's BMX – where to start?!’ is closed to new replies.