Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Adobe Creative Cloud
  • ahsat

Anyone use Adobe Creative Cloud? I would be eligible for the student/teacher edition (which gives a discount for the first year on the Complete package), but only really want Illustrator. I am working with an old copy at home and have lost the version I had on my laptop. At work it gets periodically updated but it is meaning though it is backwards compatible, it is annoying at home (arrowheads were my main bug bearer today!).

Couple of questions – can I run one license on both my laptop and desktop?
    Do I have to be connected to the web to use it? I am guessing not and that I can just store files locally.

Many thanks

prettygreenparrot

You can try out the apps for 30 days fre can’t you? I tried Lightroom and photoshop this way. I see why folks like them but Ill stay with pixelmator and aperture for now.

I see a lot of grumbling about the subscription set up. Seems reasonable if it is software you use a lot.

I saw a number of infrequent users talking about Sketch for vector graphics on the Mac. $99.

AdamW
    Free Member

Affinity designer on the mac is pretty good too, and cheap at £29.99.

ahsat

Thanks guys. I am a PC user, throughout. I’ve tried playing with the open source InkScape in the past, but had issues when other people then wanted to edit stuff/send me .ai files. Also, I know my way round Illustrator, so it was just taking time – though could just keep going through the pain barrier!

binners

I see a lot of grumbling about the subscription set up. Seems reasonable if it is software you use a lot.

Not when you already shelled out a couple of grand to buy CS6, then get forced onto a subscription model which means you’re effectively paying for it twice! Once a few people move over, CS6 is incompatible, so you have to get on the cloud

Don’t get me started on Adobe and their monopolistic tendencies. I could start seriously ranting! The Cloud is also still buggy as **** and is a right royal PITA to use with the constant font problems, and general not-very-good-ness. If they’re going to force us all on to it, then at least get the ****ing thing working properly first!! GGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!

rone

CC great value, actually. The software gets updated usually twice a year or so.

For me (film production) is unbeatable. You can normally run two copies. Don’t know about the student licence.

Good value for what you get, although some of software is repeating the feature set of other elements.

I don’t understand the complaints of the pricing, before the rental you paid 300-400 a year to update anyway. And second from a business point of view you should be really charging enough to cover the cost of a few hundred quid a year or your not really in the right market.

There are some glitches and quirks but on the whole the editing side for me is great.

ahsat

Oh dear, think I caught Binners on a bad font day! Glad to see Adobe producing its usual Marmite response! Agree, its a long way off perfect, but equally what is better?

Anyway, you think this is bad, you should try using the market leader of spatial data analysis, ArcGIS, that is a law unto itself, and costs the same as the price of a small house!

I think the 30 day free trial is a good idea (and gets round the immediate issue of doing with a copy on my laptop before going long haul next week!)

binners

If you’re starting from scratch then CC represents great value for money. Look at what you get for what you pay. But it does grate a lot that Adobe have used their monopoly position to just dictate that from now on this is how everyone will be working. And you don’t have a choice.

Fine if it worked properly. It doesn’t. The font handling is outstandingly bad. Its causing issues every day with font clashes in indesign reflowing documents. Its a PITA!! They’ve literally taken font management back 10 years to when you were using crap programmes like Suitcase.

EDIT: I’m just listening to an expletive-laden tirade by someone about photoshop now resetting all your actions and batch conversion presets every time you log on to the cloud. They really should have sorted all this stuff out before releasing it. Which was a while back now, and its still not sorted!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4cyt6Kwlyo[/video]

the-muffin-man

I use it (full sub), and at £38 a month I think it’s great value for a professional set of tools.

The font handling is outstandingly bad.

+1 to this. Only big downside I’ve found.
    a) Adobes font selection is rubbish – especially for offline print use. They must have enough clout to make their full range available.
    b) the syncing often doesn’t work – leaving you in the shite.

I don’t use any Adobe Typekit fonts in work now.

Couple of questions – can I run one license on both my laptop and desktop?

Yes – I do this.

ahsat

Thanks Muffin Man. & Binners – loving the youtube 😀

I dont think I have really come across the font issue – I use it for scientific figures (yes, I do colouring in science….Geography!) and I just stick to a couple of standard fonts. Maybe I am therefore missing this issue?

Problem is….this or my Spotify subscription…which matters more for flights to Japan and California in the next 6 weeks!!

ahsat

Problem is….this or my Spotify subscription…which matters more for flights to Japan and California in the next 6 weeks!!

Upside of being University staff – just qualified for half price Spotify for a year! That has sorted that bit!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Adobe Creative Cloud’ is closed to new replies.