Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Adjustable damping on my bed
  • _foxie_
    Free Member

After a far too detailed msn discussion with my housemate about my noisy bedroom antics with mrs_foxie we hit upon a bit of an idea.

He was politely requesting that I put some music on whilst me and the mrs are enjoying some "sexy-time", but my point is that much of the noise seems to be amplified by the poor build quality of my Argos bed. The other problem is that of rhythm – the bed seems to have it's own rocking motion which counters the required speed to statisfy the present Mrs desired – this throws me off my rhythm. It wasn't as much of a problem with the former mrs_foxie as she prefered a slower compression rate, but the new Mrs is built for speed not comfort.

A well damped bed would solve these problems and could allow the user to custom tune it depending on partner and mood. So both being mountain bikers and understanding suspension, we are considering what suspension features would be useful on a bed?

Any thoughts? i.e I don't think lockout makes sense, but he's insisting it is. My counter is that if you like it hard, do it on the floor.

pjd
    Free Member

whip the mattress of and go rigid.

Suggest the mrs tries it singlespeed?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I thought this would be about the damp aftermath…

organic355
    Free Member

Size is important, You should go for as much travel in your fork as possible.

wwaswas
    organic355
    Free Member

I thought this would be about the damp aftermath…

…..what waterproof sheets?

Smee
    Free Member

Would suspension be required at both ends?

allthepies
    Free Member

Invite him in, sorted.

_foxie_
    Free Member

you and the present mre_foxie?

actually, this was the story that sparked off the discussion again this morning. Mrs_foxie sent me the link earlier, after I made a sggestion she mute herself slightly just short term while i sort the bed.

alecangus
    Free Member

Memory foam mattress == no pedal bob

odannyboy
    Free Member

mattress on the floor and bin the sh@te bed.sorted.
    you do loose an element of comparison to being on a pump track tho.you know where you dont need to feed in much more bodily movement to make it to the next set of doubles and so on…. 😯

did that come out right? i think someone else may be along soon to sum it up better.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

If you place sme rubber bushings under each leg, (of the bed, in case of confusion) this should provide enough damping on each stroke, thrust, however your riding postion may need to be adjust, i would be happy to come along (no pun intended) to demonstrate for you and guide you through your riding positon.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Get married. Sorted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha, reminds me of an EX who had the worlds loosest bed, you could hear us rattling the headboard against the wall from streets away!

Add a douvet on top of your mattress, has a similar effect to memoryfoam.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Memory foam matresses definitely damp out any unwanted resonance, but therefore require more energy input to maintain wanted resonance.

epicyclo

See what too much can do to you? That couple are only 18

teagirl
    Free Member

I can't believe what I'm reading! Keep it private, boys! 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

perhaps your nuts are too loose?

miketually
    Free Member

I had a rather rampant housemate at uni. We used to time him.

bruneep

anotherdeadhero – Member

Get married. Sorted.

and have some kids, then live the life of a monk.

clubber
    Free Member

teagirl – Member
    I can't believe what I'm reading! Keep it private, boys!

Because girls never discuss this sort of thing between themselves. Oh, no… 😉

theotherjonv

what you are experiencing is that the harmonics of your bed are too closely matched to the harmonics of your activity. Once the two combine then you can form a standing wave which can shake the house to its very foundations if the amplitude is large enough (I'll leave Mrs Foxie to comment on your 'amplitude')

It's the same effect as marching soldiers on a bridge. Hence the command to 'break step' when a body of troops crosses a bridge. You need to manage the same effect. You therefore need to change either your harmonic or the bed's harmonic.

I'd suggest one of two things. Either:

Replace a couple of the legs of your bed with randomly oscillating bed-leg like devices. They'd need to be about as thick as your wrist, 9-12" in length, ideally rubber or soft plastic (self-dampening), and the important part is that you need to be able to set them to oscillate at different frequencies, so some sort of power and rheostat device. Maybe Mrs Foxie might have something suitable you could use.

Or two: adjust your harmonic at random intervals – start slow, build up speed to the point where you're in danger of coming to a juddering and crashing halt, and then ease back a bit until you've just got it back under control. Then stick at this level for a while until – and here's the key bit – you then need to accelerate right through the frequency where the standing wave forms to a frequency that frankly will leave you a bit sweaty and unable to stand (your legs may even go wobbly at this point). It's maximum heart rate stuff but you won't need to keep it up for much longer. There's no way at this point the harmonic of the bed can match your harmonic and while it may splinter and crack under the effort of trying you're home and dry. No unwanted bed noises, although you may end up with matching his and hers asbos.

glenh
    Free Member

I suggest either your or the mrs loses some weight. That way you will adjust the resonant frequency out of your capability zone.

avdave2

What you need is a Ti bed frame. It will magically soften the ride while maintaining all important feedback.

GrahamS

Get married. Sorted.

Damn beat me to it! Seconded. 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

Steel is real baby…

GrahamS

Replace a couple of the legs of your bed with randomly oscillating bed-leg like devices

Are you suggesting a BioPace bed? 😯

epicyclo

Just tell the neighbours your house is on a fault line…

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Perhaps something like this may help

cinnamon_girl

This is hilarious, haven't laughed so much in ages 😆

skidartist
    Free Member

Mask the squeaks and creaks with very loud dirty talk, screams and the smashing of crockery, or by playing Jeff Waynes' War of the Worlds at full belt

I used the same techniques to adjust and maintain the suspension on my bike

andrewh
    Free Member

Swing a hamock from the ceiling? Being bikers you will both the skinny type and it should easily take your combined weight.

Either that or just drug the housemate as and when required.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Adjustable damping on my bed’ is closed to new replies.