Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Adhesive for innertubes
  • JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve run the wheels on my regular bike tubeless for many years with Stan’s rim strips (the rubber ones) and sealant. Now that I’ve got a fatbike, I’m trying to go tubeless on that one as well. I have successfully converted one wheel to tubeless using Gorilla tape, but I really wonder whether it will last long term.

So, I am trying to widen a Stan’s rim strip. I have cut one in half, and tried to glue it to a split 20″ innertube. So 1/2 of each rim strip is at the rim’s bead seat, with the split tube in the middle.

But I need to find a good glue to use. I bought a can of rubber cement as used with tire and inntertube patches and it is worthless; it peels right apart. I had some Permatex Black Rubber Sealant that was definitely stronger, but it let go in 2 places when I rode the wheel yesterday.

So, does anyone have an suggestions for what to use to glue my split tube and rubber rim strips together with>

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sanded both down first? tried vulcanising solution?

geoffj

Try that 3m cross weave tape – it comes wide enough so you won’t have to join.

JoeG
    Free Member

What is vulcanizing solution?

Went to various auto parts and a farm store that had tire patches and such. They all had rubber cement that was basically the same as what I bought.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Adhesive for innertubes’ is closed to new replies.