Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Additional costs of cohabiting
  • scaled
    Free Member

Just running some numbers here, other than the obvious 25% council tax bump and having to get a TV license (Grrr) am i missing any other additional costs?

I’m assuming that the utilities bill wont go up that much as I already have a 4 year old that i’m obliged to keep toasty warm in winter but i’ve bumped that up 20% just to be on the safe side.

Stabling a horse on the other hand I’m very aware of the additional costs :p

tomkerton
    Free Member

Food.
    Booze.
    You won’t believe the loo roll.

cheers_drive

Food bills tend to be less than simply doubling the cost

I’ve always found cohabiting cheaper than being single – assuming the other pays their share too

brooess
    Free Member

Being told you’re wrong to leave the toilet seat up… (as opposed to having a different kind of genital which requires the seat to be out the way when you use the toilet) 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

your cushion budget will go up
    things you thought were fine will need replaced
    it can get very expensive
    also a horse….

fasthaggis

None,it should be a joy that is priceless,or you are not doing it right 😉

JoB
    Free Member

have you budgeted for candles and glass jars with sticks in?

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve always found cohabiting cheaper than being single – assuming the other pays their share too

Absolutely, cost per person should be significantly lower!

cynic-al
    Free Member

tomkerton – Member

This.

I encourage them to go at work.

I am now single.

tomd
    Free Member

Factor in:
    a) Replacement of all your “horrible” towels that have served you well for 10 years
    b) Same as for a) but the bed sheets
    c) Having to buy multiple washing liquids as apparently you need to use different ones for colours, whites, woolens etc
    d) Not being able to put full loads in the washing machine as apparently colours, woolens, whited etc. need to washed seperately and often

hora
    Free Member

Miserable gits. You’ve now got sex on tap.

martinhutch

Miserable gits. You’ve now got sex on tap.

I always thought the opposite was true in most relationships.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Earplugs
    Pot plants/flowers
    “art”
    Stupid food you would never buy yourself
    White wine
    Linen
    Towels
    The slow but inexorable replacement of everything you own with stuff you don’t want to own
    Crockery that’s the same as the rest of the crockery
    Cutlery that’s the same as the rest of the cutlery
    A shed for your bikes and other possessions now deemed unsuitable for housing in the living room
    Carpets
    Wall coverings
    Paint
    Plaster
    rugs
    throws
    cusions
    and eventually a patio.

hora
    Free Member

I always thought the opposite was true in most relationships.

Not when you are a sexual Viking like me. 8)

willard

The cost of cleaning products will go up by approximately 500%. You’ll soon have more different types than you ever thought you would need. I had no idea so many existed..

Also, fabric softener. Never thought you would need it? You do now.

emsz
    Free Member

[opens thread, sees Hora boasting about sex again, closes thread/]

martinhutch

Not when you are a sexual Viking like me.

Rape and pillage doesn’t sound like the ideal basis for loving cohabitation, to be fair.

fasthaggis

or

thestabiliser
    Free Member

….Lube
    Viking outfit

Rubber_Buccaneer

Electricity bill will treble, the tumble drier must be used at all times.

It’s true what they say about the loo roll too.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

The emotional cost will be pretty high…..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

As my granny said “A ha’peeny pie will cost tuppence”

acidchunks

I already have a 4 year old

you can offset your increased domestic costs against the money you’ll save by having a live in babysitter!

hora
    Free Member

I’m home honey

MrSmith
    Free Member

An extra 5° on the thermostat plus September round to June heating for ‘chilly evenings and mornings

honeybadgerx

cynic-al – Member

I encourage them to go at work.

I managed to go six months on one loo-roll when I had my own flat. The downside being on a long remote ride at the weekend come 2pm there were turtle head issues.

EDIT: Disposable kitchen/anti-bacterial wipe things. Billions of them. What’s wrong with a cloth I don’t know.

hora
    Free Member

An extra 5° on the thermostat plus September round to June heating for ‘chilly evenings and mornings

MrsHora pays the gasbill. Guess what? Its always VERY low. Funny that.

Disposable kitchen/anti-bacterial wipe things. Billions of them. What’s wrong with a cloth I don’t know.

Ditto. I hate the things, I like bleach, proper cleaning liquids etc. Wipes are a half-job.

stever
    Free Member

‘Congratulations, on the basis of my calculations I’m pleased to say your residency application has been accepted.’
    🙂

dashed
    Free Member

Cushions and other soft furnishings were not previously factored into my budget! 😯

ahwiles
    Free Member

cheers_drive – Member

Food bills tend to be less than simply doubling the cost

nah, i’m quite happy surviving on nothing more than fish-finger sandwiches.

since i started ‘co-habiting’ i’ve been forced to buy things called ‘vegetables’, and i’m no longer allowed to eat food with mould on it.

matt_outandabout

Additional costs of cohabiting

Your freedom?

ninfan
    Free Member

It’s true what they say about the loo roll too

Apparently, when cohabiting with a female, bringing back a couple of rolls of this:

from work, does not constitute the supply of either

i) Toilet paper
    ii) Kitchen roll

👿

Also be warned that ‘condiments’ no longer means ketchup, chilli sauce and salt, but a strange collection of glass jars with dried leaves in them, that live permanently on a rack and are mostly never opened.

hels
    Free Member

Some huge assumptions being made here. What makes you think the potential co-habitee is a woman ? or a total moron, from what some of you are saying re heating and wipes.

honeybadgerx

hels – Member
    Some huge assumptions being made here

Another one then, you don’t have a sense of humour?

br
    Free Member

Look at the positives; you don’t need a Cleaner anymore, no need to visit the Laundrette and fresh sheets on a regular basis. 😉

bigblackshed

thestabiliser seems to have compiled a comprehensive list.

The Wife has now regretted suggesting a “bike” shed. This gives me more room to store bikes and also a workbench. Which will not be complete unit it has a bench grinder and a big vice attached to it. 😆

This of course has been offset by the smelly candle and cushion expenditure. 😕

jambalaya
    Free Member

You’ll save money as you can fire the cleaner ! only joking .. (damn just seen @br has beaten me to that gag)

Costs overall will be lower as you’ll be sharing bills I assume rather than paying for everything.

muddy@rseguy

Oh yes, overall shared costs are lower but the biggest issue of all…

Soft furnishings:

hooli

Genuine question for the OP. Surely you have decided to move in together as you would like to live together. If it turns out to be too expensive, are you going to tell her not to bother?

We could all save a lot of money not doing stuff but what the point of working then…

spooky_b329

Why are you worrying about a TV licence when she has a horse in tow!?

My wife has just got her second so I am now the dubious owner of her elderly one. 6 weekly shoeing, c.100 bales of hay a year plus hard feed, and a saddle costs as much as a half decent hardtail!

Just make you don’t look at her bank statements or query why she rarely does a cash withdrawal for less than £50 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Additional costs of cohabiting’ is closed to new replies.