Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Adding saved maps to Viewranger in a big UK-sized chunk?
  • bounce

Getting to know Viewranger and was wondering if there is some way to download large (even whole UK) sections of Openstreetmap or Opencycle map to use offline? Trying to use it online down round Church Stretton last week was pointless.

The Create Saved Map option limits you to 70Mb and as I have a 30Gb SD on the phone, was hoping I could stick a larger chunk or even the whole UK on there to save swapping between maps?

As you can buy OS maps for the whole of the UK in one hit (which I might do if I can suss this app out ok), seems logical that you could do the same with OSM?

Or perhaps not!

nickjb
    Free Member

The only way, as far as I know, to put large areas of free maps on is to open them in the app; ie find and area and scroll around it. They are then saved in cache. The default cache size is pretty small so it’s worth increasing it. TBH it works much better with bought OS maps. Worth dropping them an email as they are good with responding to questions.

oldnpastit

Perhaps not exactly the answer you want, but you can also buy individual squares of the OS maps. I bought 1000 squares of the 1:50000 for £20 a couple of years ago, and I’ve got through about 2/3rds of it now. Seems to work well – I just download the squares for the area I’m interested in.

keppoch

Is there not a way to alter the size of saved map in the settings?

It’s a really quite powerful app, I have been getting into it over the last couple of months. Some foibles but a good allrounder.

The MyViewranger website is pretty good too.

bounce

Had a look around and seems to be a fixed 10285 tile limit for downloading and saving OSM data from Viewranger. No way I can see to change this, altering the cache size makes no difference.

Looks like you can download the whole dataset in various formats direct from OSM but then you have to make it work with ViewRanger – which doesn’t appear to be a trivial task after a brief glance at their tech spec.

Ah well, ta for the suggestions, will post if I find a way to do it. My neighbour is a bit of a GIS expert, will tap him.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Adding saved maps to Viewranger in a big UK-sized chunk?’ is closed to new replies.