Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Active 3D glasses q
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

finally ditched the old CRT box and replaced it with a shiny new smart telly which does 3d (open box bargain from richer sounds). tried out the 3d using 2d/3d upscaling and it works pretty well but the battery on the glasses seems to be less than 2 hours. is that right?
    if it is, is the battery life any better with native 3d?

PePPeR

Yes they give me a headache,.

But the batteries last ages only charged ours a couple of times in 2 years. Panasonic.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

hmm, just wondering if the £55 for a 3d blue ray player is worth the bother. 3d wasn’t part of what i was looking for in the telly, just happened to be part of the deal.

cheers

Rubber_Buccaneer

Less than two hours can’t be right, you’d have to select films that weren’t as long as the battery life!

danrandon
    Free Member

what make of TV. are they the glasses that use coin type cells? I upgraded my samsung glases to the rechargable ones as they were on offer at my local littlewoods outlet for £10 a pair. 2 mins charging gives 2 hours viewing, leave them to charge fully and they offer approx 40-50 hours of viewing.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

samsung, coin batteries, not rechargeable. i’ll have alook for rechargeables.

Less than two hours can’t be right, you’d have to select films that weren’t as long as the battery life!

quite, I have the full version of red cliff to watch – 4 and a bit hours

cheers

Gary_M
    Free Member

samsung, coin batteries, not rechargeable. i’ll have alook for rechargeables.

That’s the ones I have. If they’re only lasting 2 hours then there’s something wrong with them.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

hmm, i’ll try another battery and se if that lasts longer

Cougar

If it’s an open box bargain, presumbaly you don’t know the history of the glasses? They might’ve been demo units for months.

I can’t see how native / upscaled 3D would affect the battery life, that’s nonsensical. What if you looked at the wall with them, would that use less battery?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I can’t see how native / upscaled 3D would affect the battery life, that’s nonsensical. What if you looked at the wall with them, would that use less battery?

Well they pair with the telly, bluetooth style, so it’s not unreasonable to assume some communication betwen the telly and the specs. Looking at the wall wouldn’t pick up a 3d signal, specs would power down and save battery. If the specs contribute to the 2d/3d upscaling process but not to native 3d then then native 3d might yield longer battery life. Might be bobbins as I’ve no idea what the “active” component actually is

Cougar

Right, I follow your logic, but that’s not how it works. Active 3D glasses rapidly occlude each eye in turn (ie, one eye is clear and the other is blacked out) in sync with the TV displaying the relevant image for that eye. Any extra processing for upscaling would be a load on the TV’s CPU, not the glasses.

With the TV running it’s irrelevant where you’re looking, there’s no two-way conversation. All the pairing is doing is the TV going “leftrightleftrightleftright…” to the glasses. You could stop watching and go for a slash and, so long as you were in range at least, the glasses would continue to shutter in and out.

Does that help?

Cougar

(As I Understand It anyway)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Active 3D glasses q’ is closed to new replies.