• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Acting as Executor of an Estate in Another Country
  • GregMay
    Free Member

So, my dad died nearly three years ago.He lived in the Republic of Ireland, where I did up until recently. The estate has taken a while to get sorted as he worked quite a few jobs, and there are several different pensions, accounts, shares etc etc. All the details have been pulled together by my solicitor in Ireland, and all the institutions are paying out currently. We’ve just accepted an offer on the house, which was my family home for many years, and that’s great. now we can look at buying a hovel somewhere.

So far so good. Only person who inherits, solo child, no legally significant other attached to my father, mother divorced him years ago, no claim there. So it goes to me. Coke and hookers and so on.

As I am now UK resident – full time working – paying tax – not planning on moving back to the ROI – I am faced with an interesting problem. Do I:

A) Have everything lodged into my bank account in the ROI that I only use for paying things there, then deal with having to transfer to the UK? Paying any applicable charges/taxes there.

B) Or, go have it all paid into my UK account? Which is where we’re going to be paying a deposit for a house in the UK from anyway.

The total value of the estate is below the Capital Gains Tax limit for both the ROI and the UK. I’m aware I’ll have to pay tax in the future on income from shares etc. So that is fine.

Anyone have experience with doing this previously? Advice?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Acting as Executor of an Estate in Another Country’ is closed to new replies.