Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • ACS Claw clunking…
  • pearlbaz
    Free Member

when I pedal hard on my ss, there is a clunking from the rear end (of the bike) As soon as I stop pedalling, it stops. Start pedalling again, and after a short while, clickety clunk…its back. There seems to be about 4 clunks per rev of the wheel. Is my second-hand freewheel knackered. Can it be stripped and sorted, or is it new freewheel time? Rear wheel bearings (on-one ss hub)seem ok and smooth offload, just turning by hand.
    If it needs replacing, which is the freewheel of choice…value wise. I see acs & Dicta around £10, and Shimano for £22…or WI at £70 or more. Id normally go with Shimano, though this is my first dabble in singlespeed specific stuff. Any advice please?

Baz

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Have had ACS Claws and Shimano screw-ons knock, creak, bang etc but work for ages, also had them fail really quickly without warning. Reckon quality control on them is not great, and we are asking them to work in dirt which they were never designed to do.

Not got one myself (now use ordinary wheel and spacers) but have mates who swear by the WI ones.

Over 2 years I spent more on ACS/shimano than I would of spent on a WI so reckon that WI would be the best way to go if you want to use screw on type.

pearlbaz
    Free Member

cheers DB…you'd think with all the bmx bikes out there, they would have more reliable units at the cheaper end of the market.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

My ACS claw clicked for two years. Had an almost metronome quality when pedaling. Never did anything bad and I eventually binned it when I sheared a couple of teeth off it once.

My current 18t cheapo-it was in the spares box-freewheel is now going into it's second year.

soma_rich
    Free Member

My ACS only lasted 6 months and did make that noise at some point. I got rid of screw on free wheels in the end they all seemed to dies eventually… Tough I never invested in a WI.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Shimano one on my pompino lasted just 3 months, but it did about 1200 miles in that time, but it clunked and banged from day one. The outer race(with the teeth on it) had hugely visable and feelable movement between it, the bearings and the inner race (The screwy on bit) when i took it off.

Stuck another one as CRC are doing them for £14

It is much quieter this time with only the occasional series of subtle rattling every now and again for a few cranks and it stops so when it dies I am going to go for one of those pimp daddy freewheels.

When my first one died it made itself known when trackstanding, I didnt fall off thankfully but i whacked both knees in two seperate incidents off the hardest bits on the bike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ACS Claw clunking…’ is closed to new replies.