Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Achilles tendon damage – should I be riding
  • Pz_Steve

I’ve got a very sore Achilles tendon at the moment. I’m rubbish at resting if I have a strain, which I know is really not helping, so I want to know whether I should be staying off the bike.

It’s not something that happened suddenly. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what caused it – I think it was probably brought on by a new, badly fitting pair of work boots, which really seemed to constrict my left ankle. After about a week of wearing them I found that my Achilles was aching a bit after a run, but nothing dramatic. (I normally run 3-4 times a week, about 4.5 miles a time). The next run after that one made it much worse.

Anyway, long story short, I’ve tried:
    – Resting it completely for a few days
    – Ignoring it completely and carrying on as normal (ouch!)
    – Just walking on it as much as possible
    – Taking plenty of ibuprofen.

However, it’s not really improving at all. I’m still hobbling round like an arthritic Frankenstein’s Monster and it’s driving me spare. I’m also at that age where I can feel my fitness falling away frighteningly fast.

It’s been 3 weeks or so now, and I’m not a patient patient.

I don’t really feel like getting on the bike – to be honest I’m not keen on anything which involves force going through that leg at the moment. And I definitely want the problem to go away as fast as possible. But at the same time, I just want to get outside and get moving.

All feedback / suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

mrblobby
    Free Member

People seem to recommend the pinch test. Give it a pinch before you do some activity and then after, if it’s more painful after then reduce or avoid that activity for a while.

I’d recommend resting it and going to see a physio and getting a proper diagnosis. Don’t keep running/riding on it. I’ve not been able to run for over a year now as I kept going on mine for a lot longer than I should have.

Can you actually pinch it? Or is it too sore to even touch? If it is then stop now and get help!

Things that are generally recommended are eccentric lifting exercises (heel drop things), stretching, alternating ice/heat compresses, ultrasound, cross frictional massage. Don’t think ibuprofen helps much. Then need to figure out why it started in the first place and how to avoid it happening again.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Google Alfredson protocol – see if that fits.

Milkie
    Free Member

I had a problem with my Achilles and ignored it, ended up having Achilles Tendonitis and tore my calf muscle too. I would suggest going to physio, prevention is better than cure.

Stretching can help, but it took nearly 6 months for it to go.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

+1 RICE and ago and see a physio asap

back in april i had something similar with my ankle that lead to seven months of no riding, constant pain and swelling – seven months of weekly physio, led to a visit to an ankle consultant for one x-ray, one ultrasound, one steroid injection later – turns out i had ripped my peroneal tendon afterall

twas the consultant radiologist who actually discovered the tear though

mrblobby
    Free Member

SBZ, thanks for that. I’ve been doing something similar but have been resting when painful instead of carrying on with the heel drops. Shall do some more research and modify my program.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Excuse the hijack, I used to get chronic achilles and plantar problems, but since getting arch supports last year and now recently increasing my riding and running mileage It seems to have transferred to the tendon that runs up from my outside ankle bone, up the side of my calf, worst nearest the ankle bone. What’s that and how should I treat it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

both of you – professional assessment is needed I would have though

trailmonkey

op – sounds more like tendonitis than trauma.

in either case tj has the right advice.

Pz_Steve

Damn damn damn.

Guess it’s time for another visit to Nurse Payne (no joke, that’s who I saw last time I was regularly in the local Physiotherapy department)!

Was just hoping that someone would say Mountain Biking was the best known cure for this!!

Thanks for all the feedback.

trailmonkey

if it’s any consolation, i had an achilles tear that ran up and down rather than across. the doctor at the fracture clinic said that cycling would actually be a good form of rehab especially if i rolled my ankle whilst pedalling. obviously doing anything too bumpy might add to the trauma so best take it steady if the doc lets you cycle.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Achilles tendon damage – should I be riding’ is closed to new replies.