• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Achilles pain after running
  • DT78
    Free Member

what exercises? flares up after run and lasts about 24hrs. sore either side of the Achilles about where the ball of.the ankle is. only on the right hand foot.

worried if I don’t nip it quick it could get worse. cycling seems unaffected

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A raised edge 1-2″ and do heal drops however if it makes the pain worse then stop.

Lots of calf stretches, do you do much other stretching i.e. Rest of legs ?

And go and get a proper sports massage.

I had very similar symptoms and all of the above helped get rid of it.

The biggest helper was the sports massage

DT78
    Free Member

I stretch calves a bit not loads as I don’t seem to feel anything. mostly pushing against a wall with one leg extended back (if that makes sense)

djen83
    Free Member

I find with the increased impact on the body I pickup far more little niggles like this with running compared to cycling.

Are you new to running? Are your shoes suitable? Are you carrying too much weight? Have you recently increased your pace/ distance too much? are you giving yourself enough time to rest?

failing all the obvious stuff above (and stretching as mentioned by one other) I’d see a physio. A mate of mine went recently and had a raft of muscle imbalances pointed out to her, some of which she says she can actually see but never noticed.

Good luck sorting the problem

shermer75
    Free Member

Could be a couple of different things at fault here so I’d go see a physio if it persists

Twodogs

Try the tennis ball stretch…basically squishing a tennis ball under different points of your foot…probably best to google, as difficult to explain!

globalti
    Free Member

Why do people run around when God gave us the brains to make and ride bicycles?

nbt

Exercises like calf raises will help strengthen the area, but I’d see a physio. It sounds like Achilles tendinopathy caused by the achilles being put under strain. In my case it was due to extremely high arches, when I put my feet down my arches are so high they cause the entire foot to roll over, stretching the achilles – the exercises I was given are to stand on the ball of my foot and very slowly (and in a controlled manner) lower myself down onto a flat floor. That only covers half of it though, I’ve also got orthotic insoles to help support the arches, which stops the prolem flaring up inthe first place. My first set came from my private health care, but I’ve recently got a new set from the NHS podiatry dept, got a referral via my GP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Achilles pain after running’ is closed to new replies.