Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Accurate tyre width and height? Online anywhere?
  • transapp
    Free Member

Just a thought, does anyone know if a record of real tyre widths across carcus and knobbles, plus height above rim exists? With the utter disregard of manufactures to real measurements, it seems like something that could be put together quite easily given all the people who have an interest in it. Type of run they are on might be good as well.

If there’s not, I may well start one

james
    Free Member

Im going to guess no, because accurate dimentions will all vary depending on what rim they are mounted on, and can differ quite a lot with the same tyre

Even between same manufacturer rim height can differ (eg XC717 vs. XM719) and clincher type can differ (newer stans vs. older stan

Any particular tyres you’re wanting to get an idea how they compare to one another?

abarthx19
    Free Member

Theres a website run by a rider with a thing for tyres, check it out here: http://mtbtires.com/site2/

Northwind

Working on it… I’m that cool. Got a control rim and everything, that’s science.

James- it makes surprisingly little difference. I took a 2.3 Baron and stuck it on my skinny 17mm Bonty xc rim, and my DT540 DH rim at 22mm… even with a 5mm difference in rim width the difference in tyre width was just 1.6mm.

(the Bonty’s quite a tall rim as well so will be pinching the tyre in slightly- if it was the same height as the DT, the difference would be less, though maybe not significantly)

transapp
    Free Member

Ok so there is some data.

I guess it’s just something that bugs me, that if I wanted a bigger tyre than say a 2.25 nobby nic, but wanted a day maxxis, what size do I need ti buy? 2.35 should do it right? Only it’d probably be smaller. That’s what irritates me. Oh god, I’m going to become a tyre geek…

Northwind

Then you get the ones that tip you over the edge… How about a 2.25 Maxxis, it’ll probably be bigger than the 2.35 Maxxis! How about a 2.35 Swampthing? Or a 2.5? Doesn’t matter much which, they’re almost the same size.

james
    Free Member

“surprisingly little difference”
    Well they appear quite different. The rounded profile certainly appears quite different
    The difference between a 2.35″ High Roller on an XC717 (or even on a higher walled XM719) and an EX5.1D at least appears quite a lot

IIRC a 2.35″ HR/Minion is smaller than a 2.25″ RR/NN/Albert, which is about smaller again than a 2.25″ which is about the same as a 2.5″ HR/Minion overall (tread+carcass volume), though advantage has lower tread height.

brant
    Free Member

abarthx19 – Member
    Theres a website run by a rider with a thing for tyres, check it out here: http://mtbtires.com/site2/
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

That’s Shiggy. He designed the 13 new on one tyres we are releasing.
    Three tread patterns, two rim sizes, three compounds, two bead types.

Northwind

Tell him to get them measured 😉 When are they coming out btw?

transapp
    Free Member

See what I mean? The widths on the side are utter bobbins compared to reality. I personally would like a simple sheet with rim, tyre, carcus width, tread width and height. OK, you may get a different profile on different rims, but even that would be reasonably predictable.

MussEd
    Free Member

Oh god, I’m going to become a tyre geek…

I’m afraid it’s too late for that, you used the word data.

mboy
    Free Member

Anyone got the metric measurements on a 2.4″ Rubber Queen mounted on a 35mm wide rim? I’m assuming it’s going to give me plenty of clearance in a rigid fork that’s 80mm between the legs at tyre height, but it looks like it might be a touch tight with anything bigger.

transapp
    Free Member

Yep, geek….

Northwind, I’d be interested to see what you’ve got(and the ‘control rim’)
    mboy, see you know you want it! It’s the easiest information that any mag could do, but for some reason, they don’t so you’re left wondering what size is a 2.4 rubber queen, compared to say a 2.5 high roller.
    This is now the most important thing in my life.

float
    Free Member

mboy, RQ on Sstar DH rim. looks to be 61mm carcass and tread width. measured with tape measure so +/-1mm

james
    Free Member

“left wondering what size is a 2.4 rubber queen, compared to say a 2.5 high roller”
    Ill go with a LOT bigger, the 2.2″ RQ (new conti) will be a fair bit bigger as 2.5″ maxxis are pretty weedy for a 2.5″

bigjim

if I wanted a bigger tyre than say a 2.25 nobby nic, but wanted a day maxxis, what size do I need ti buy?

I love the shape of the 2,25 nobby nic, the 2.25 maxxis advantage is really tall in comparison and a little narrower, I had trouble fitting it into the rear of my old trance frame because of the height of it. 2.35 high roller is a bit rounder and i don’t think any wider than the 2.25 advantage. the 2.4 advantage is just huuuge. I found the 2.25 advantage too squirmy on the back, not sure if it was the height or the relatively thin nobbles squirming, compared to more blocky knobbles.

Christ, midnight on a friday night and I am discussing bike tire widths on the internet, where did it all go wrong…

Northwind

transapp – Member

Northwind, I’d be interested to see what you’ve got(and the ‘control rim’)

No worries… I’ve got some more to log, then I guess I’ll start to stick it into a simple spreadsheet for now. I’ll probably do a website of it at some point but that’s a ways off, and I’d need to learn how to make a website first 😉

james
    Free Member

“2.25 advantage too squirmy on the back, not sure if it was the height or the relatively thin nobbles squirming”
    What rims have you got them on? They can be temperamental if you dont have wideish rims IME

spooky_b329

There was a STW tyre test several years that measured the tyres by laying them flat, and measuring across the bead and across the tread. Be quite out of date now though…

Its a pain, I just swapped some mud tyres for low profile (as in lower nobbles) summer tyres, the carcass is substantially higher as the tyres now buzz the nut on my rear crud catcher. Can’t move it up as its clamped to the frame under the seat clamp, so I ended up burrowing through the loft until I found a low profile hex bolt from some IKEA furniture, and did some bodging.

transapp
    Free Member

just put the calliper over the brand new mud x 2.0 team I’ve got on a mavis 717 rim, and it’s a 1.8 carcus, and no bigger across the knobbles. That’ll be why they look small. If this weather continues, I’ll be putting the Schwalbes back on, and they certainly feel a lot bigger, I’ll see if they are actual size

transapp
    Free Member

Just refitted the 2.25 Nobby Nic snakesins. Got to be 2.25 right? Nope, they’re 2.0 bang on. Narrower across the tread than the sidewalls. No wonder rubber queens and the later bontrager tyres look big for there size, they’re actually the right width!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Accurate tyre width and height? Online anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.