Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • According to something I saw on the news t'other day, house prices are down…
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

and there is a thread on here about how sales of stuff have gone through the floor. Would this be that much touted second dip in the recession rearing its ugly head?

I reckon so. Nice work ConDems.

clubber
    Free Member

I honestly think that some people will be happier if there is a double dip (and a proper one, not just a bit of bouncing around the zero line by a couple of .1s of %s) and that things do go to crap just so that they can carry on moaning about the government and tell everyone how insightfull and clever they are 🙄

Three_Fish
    Free Member

They’ve only been here for four months. How could they possibly have caused something that was “much touted” months earlier? You really should refrain from discussing politics/economics; you’re not helping.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I would suggest that the two of you should refrain from discussing playing politics as you’re not helping.

CaptJon
    Free Member

We’re not in a recession.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t like being disagreed with SBZ?

Don’t see how any double dip can be entirely the fault of a 4 month old government.

the-muffin-man

There are loads of people who want to buy houses and have good jobs and decent deposits. Its the twunts at the banks who are being far, far to cautious that are killing the housing market.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Couldnt care less if folk disagree with me.

Also, nowhere did I say it was entirely the fault of the ConDems. Merely pointed out that their policies of slash and burn dont really appear to be helping yet.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Double dip is the (almost) inevitable result of dealing with the debt we have. Some say we shouldn’t deal with it because of this but the Tories are grabbing the bull by the horns…not always a sensible action!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m with Clubber on this. Some folk just can’t get by without moaning all the time: The sort of person who, if you gave them a £20 note, would complain it wasn’t two tenners.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes PP but two tenners can be more convenient than a twenty, so I think you could have found a better analogy than that to be honest.
    🙁

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds a lot to me like blaming them for the double dip that you’re suggesting. ‘Entirely’ is debateable but if you meant anything other than mainly the condem’s fault, you’d have worded it differently.

clubber
    Free Member

PP’s wasn’t an analogy – it was a comment on some types of people.

A good analogy is someone who finds out they have cancer and is happy because they’d been telling the doctors for ages that there was something wrong with them…

Some people are never happier than when they’re being miserable.

Drac

Still waiting for the firs price dip here, when’s it due?

Torminalis
    Free Member

double dip

That terms makes it sound like confectionary. I prefer the term ‘dead cat bounce’ to describe this period of slight optimism in the markets before we get back on with the job of serious crashing.

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙁 🙁 🙁 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

Some folk just can’t get by without moaning all the time

won’t find any of that from me, bought a house end of 2008 sold it 2 months ago for a profit – so clearly not all house prices are falling.

brassneck

As always, with house prices, it depends entirely on where you want to buy.

No sign of any reductions round my way.

catfood
    Free Member

Well as for house prices dropping the theory is that last years recovery in prices was driven by a lack of stock coming on to the market, now more stock is becoming available and buyers are still finding it hard to borrow money prices should in theory drop back a bit, or so they say.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

won’t find any of that from me, bought a house end of 2008 sold it 2 months ago for a profit – so clearly not all house prices are falling.

We bought early 2008, and I’ve checked the prices in the area a few times since. Yes, the value fell by around £15K-£20K, but they’re on their way back up again, and we don’t intend moving for at least another 8-9 years, so I don’t give a rat’s ass anyway! 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Okay everyone – get your house valued then try and sell it for that (or near that) price and see what happens…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can we have a “Whining” Forum for threads like this and SpongeFAIL’s?

grumm
    Free Member

Some folk just can’t get by without moaning all the time

And other people are just smug instead.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Double Dip is certainly the fault of the Condems – no doubt at all. (If it happens – not that its here yet)

Under Labour the recovery had started but was clearly fragile. One element of the recovery is consumer confidence. Tell a million people they are going to loose their jobs and consumer confidence dips. As does retail sales and the confidence of the retailer.

Predicted by many folk as soon as the scale of the cuts was announced. Cuts = drop in economic activity = recessionary pressure.

fortunately the country has seen thru the ideologically driven cuts agenda with Condem support plummne3tting, the majority of the country believing cuts on the scale intended are not needed.

Hopefully the coalition will collapse before the worst of the damage is done.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Better to be smug and positive than a pessemistic clever-clogs 😉

Drac

Yup that’s exactly it PP, if you’ve bought one recently and have to sell now then it may be a problem. If your in a position where you don’t have to sell then there’s no problem.

Been in our home for 14 years now bought it before the “Country Life” and “Harry Potter” booms so I’m not worried at all.

grumm
    Free Member

I agree about the silly panic over house prices though. Also, depending on where you are buying, the price of the new property should be lower too presumably.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Double Dip is certainly the fault of the Condems

Brown was warning of a double dip reccession months before the Condems got anywhere near power because their growth forecast was woefully wrong.

grumm
    Free Member

Brown was warning of a double dip reccession months before the Condems got anywhere near power because their growth forecast was woefully wrong.

Yes but Labour were planning to delay/minimise spending cuts in order to reduce the possibility….

Torminalis
    Free Member

Yes but Labour were planning to delay/minimise spending cuts in order to reduce the possibility….

And all the while we are delaying cuts we still have to borrow at a massive rate just to keep the lights on. Personally I am inclined to live within my means, not borrow more to get myself out of a debt hole.

gonefishin
    Free Member

You know this “ConDem” tag is getting to be as annoying as the old “Bliar” and “zaNuLabour” tags. What’s wrong with actually the proper name rather than copying a poor tabloid pun.

tonyd

I wish prices would drop! Even if I could I wouldn’t want to borrow 8 times my salary just to put a roof over our heads.

<Trying not to bite and argue with TJ>

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Would be funny if the Government was telling us to live within our means whilst borrowing heavily, you see Labour were happy with us all borrowing; it fuelled the boom that they were so proud of.

Drac

What’s wrong with actually the proper name rather than copying a poor tabloid pun.

I have no idea gonefishin

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The point is about the timing of rebalancing the deficit – and how to do it.

cutting increases unemployment which increases benefit costs and decreases tax revenues. Thus making the likelyhood of recession worse.

Putting money into the economy creates growth which increases tax revenues and decreases unemployment. Once the recovery is on course solidly – say another year down the line then it will be robust enough to take money out( either cuts or increased taxes – your choice) to balance the budget.

this is the lesson from previous recessions – the 30S and 80s.

its not rocket science – its basic economics. Teh worst of the 30S depression was caused exactly by this – cutting to much too soon to attempt to rebalance budgets too quickly.

since these cuts are not economically lead but ideological – the condems use the financial crisis as an excuse to cut knowing full well that they can ensure its only the poor it hurts.

Raising VAT also has the same effect – whereas raising income tax would have less effect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tonyd – Member

I wish prices would drop! Even if I could I wouldn’t want to borrow 8 times my salary just to put a roof over our heads.

House prices are too high – a different debate

grumm
    Free Member

What’s wrong with actually the proper name rather than copying a poor tabloid pun.

What is the proper name? The Liberal Democrat-Conservative coalition? Not very snappy is it.

Do you complain about use of the term Tory instead of Conservative?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

How can you be liberal and conservative at the same time? Call it the Schizo coalition.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

And all the while we are delaying cuts we still have to borrow at a massive rate just to keep the lights on. Personally I am inclined to live within my means, not borrow more to get myself out of a debt hole

But its not quite that simple is it because is the economy contracts the government will collect less tax and if the economy expands it will collect more tax.

What labour was saying is more akin to an individual borrowing money to take a degree/qualification in the hope of earning more money in the future.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Someone explain to me how government expenditure creates jobs and in turn raises tax revenue? Seems weird to employ a load of people so that you can then tax them and claim your tax revenues go up. When the taxer and the employer are the same peope there is surely a zero sum gain.

I understand that it raises consumer confidence but that is worth bugger all when the consumer spending is fuelled by debt. At the moment our economy is inflated by debt, ergo our public sector is also inflated by debt. The financial institutions which bought such wealth/debt to this country have started to get sheepish and reign in the lending that caused the problem in the first place and therefore the public sector must shrink. Not tommorow or next year but now. We cannot live beyond our means. We borrowed as a nation £15.5 billion in August alone. Surely you cannot argue that just borrowing a bit more will get us on the right track. That seems completely stupid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘According to something I saw on the news t'other day, house prices are down…’ is closed to new replies.