Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Accommodation suggestions in Copenhagen
  • keppoch

Anyone got any ideas at the up to £120 a night for a twin room. Prefer quirky and central to 4* in a industrial estate but starting to realise that Copenhagen is not a cheap place to stay!

Any good recommendations as to what to do when we get there also appreciated.

paulevans
    Free Member

Try the Admiral Hotel – very nice but it’s been a long time since I stayed there. Not sure what the rates are either. Useless post really. Sorry.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not bloody cheap is it?!? We’re going in June and ended up booking Bertrams Guldsmeden – a few quid over your budget (and our original one too.)

Tourist Information has a good website btw. DrJ of this parish spent a food few years living there and has a wealth of local knowledge. We’re just looking forward to mooching around, maybe take a river cruise, do one museum but really, just take in the atmosphere.

Have a good one.

fatmax

Hotel Kong Arthur

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

i stayed at the ibsens when we visted, nice enough and the price was very reasonable by all accounts. easy walking distance for the centre YMMV. It wasn’t raffles but nor was it travelodge

dantsw13

We stayed in the Skovshoved Hotel. It’s on the northern edge of the city by the beach. A bus runs from the front door to downtown. Very nice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Out of the city but..
    http://www.crowneplaza.com/hotels/gb/en/copenhagen/rkecp/hoteldetail/hotel-room-rates
    If you can get a rate, free airport transfer and a very short walk to a station for town.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Get on airbnb. Not that I’ve looked in copenhagen, but we used it for the first time recently and it was great. Lovely apartment, far cheaper than hotel.

growinglad
    Free Member

^^ This, we stayed with an airbnb place. Couple of Architect lads owned the place, like a cool home from home, it was at the good end of the old red light district.

Best part of the trip, walking down the long road which the end near the station is the red light district. Walk past a shop with all the “outfits” hanging in the shop window. My 5 year old daughter pipes up, that’s a nice dress Mummy (french maids outfit), I’ll buy it for your birthday…..

Cracking place….mentally strong beer.

convert

We stayed at 71 Nyhavn Hotel for about that sort of money after finding a deal online 3 years ago. Quirky old building in a great location but a mentally small room. I’d try airbnb these days too.

DrJ

Interesting you mention airbnb because I think strictly speaking it is illegal in DK for people to let out their place that way unless they are registered for tax. Not that that is of any concern to “guests”.

Dolcered

Just booked Hotel Tiffany for June. Nothng is cheap in Copenhagen.
    They have a novel approach to brekkie, everything is in the room, they deliver fresh rolls each morning, dont even need to get up and dressed.

I lived in Copenhagen in 1999, looking forward to going back.

DrJ

Best part of the trip, walking down the long road which the end near the station is the red light district

Istedgade. Brilliant street. As you walk away from the station there is a point where the sex shops end and it turns into boutiques full of yummy mummies. If you turn right at “Erotic Corner” you get to Mikkeler’s – probably the best beer bar in the world. For a mentally filling roast pork sandwich, Isted Grill.

DrJ

Try the Admiral Hotel – very nice but it’s been a long time since I stayed there. Not sure what the rates are either. Useless post really. Sorry.

Admiral is great but only stay there if work is paying!!

There are some cheap(er) “Cabinn” hotels but they don’t look very nice. Someone suggested Hotel Jorgensen as being OK, and I have thought of booking Avenue Hotel.

Hotels in DK are expensive even by DK standards!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

You can stay at a guy called Mikaels apartment on air B and B

https://m.airbnb.se/listings/258670

He’s runs copenhagenize , the company that has done an incredible amount of work transforming CPH into the cycling city it is today.

http://www.copenhagenize.com/?m=1

neilco
    Free Member

Double ipad panic post.

neilco
    Free Member

Used to live there, wife and daughter are Danish, still own a house just outside CPH. We are going back for a week or so over summer and have rented an appartment there. AirBnB is always a good option, but we actually went through a website called something like all-CPH-apartments.dk (or similar, Google it). Seemed to have more choice and prices were marginally more favourable.

All suggestions above are fine. City centre location is fine, though you may want to check Vesterbro out, or Norrebro which is a little more mixed culurally, or Osterbro, which is the family-friendly part. Everywhere is walking distance or on a bus line, or even better, stay somewhere near a Metro line. Easiest way to get around.

As for things to do… Harbour trips on the open air boats. Use the blue Netto boats, not DFDS – same trip but half the price. If it’s sunny, Metro down to Amager Strand for a swim on the beach, or go for one of the man made city beaches on the city waterfront. Hire a city bike – works like a shopping trolley deposit – and cycle around the parks and canals. Christianshavn is good but avoid Christiana, it’s gone downhill and you’ll be easy to spot as a tourist as you ae probably not a dopehead or a bike gang member. Spend a few hours hanging out on Nyhavn at the waterfront, with your feet dangling over the edge and a six pack and pizza from round the corner for a fraction of the restuarant prices. If you want something a little different, head to Roskilde for the cathedral or Viking Museum. If you like art, head north to Louisiana or south to Arken for modern art. There’s a great waterfront bar between the Maersk building and the Little Mermaid (which really is quite little) – great prawns, chips and beer in the sun. Will be my first stop when I’m back as sums up CPH for me, As above, Istegade has become a good place to hang out with loads of good bars, restuarants and clubs in the former meat packing district. Irish pubs – give in and just do it. Rovers is my favourite, but the Dubliner (livelier) or Globe (quieter) are always good. There’s some hand built bike shops where the bikes are absolutely beautiful, but cost more than your car. Hang out in the parks and watch the beautiful people – Kongens Have is good.

All the touristy places are expensivce, but theres always a cheaper local option around the corner. Hot dog vans are everywhere and will keep you going with cheap, decent food. Pizza take aways are 20 kr a slice. A six pack of beer from a kiosk is the same price as a pint. Homeless people will love you for the can afterwards (dont squash it) as they claim the 1 kr deposit.

Everybody everywhere speaks better English than I do. Can give you some Danish words if you need, but you don’t.

Over all, it’s an awesome place. I’d still live there if it wasn’t for some ambitious ideas about jobs which took me elsewhere. Hope to live back there at some point.

DrJ

Norrebro which is a little more mixed culurally

On my last evening in CPH I was sitting outside a seedy bar in Norrebro when Johanna Schmidt Nielsen, leader of one of Denmark’s main political parties, walked by in a miniskirt. That sums up a number of DK’s attractions!

Hope to live back there at some point.

Me too 🙁

keppoch

Wow, only just checked back and loads of responses and suggestions 😀 will read through them now. Looking forward to it!

sl2000

I spent last weekend at an AirBnB place: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6048156 . It was further than ideal out of town in a docklands-style area but the bus in was quick and frequent. The flat was great – very clean and bright – and the guy was brilliant – meeting us at the airport to drive us to his flat and lending us umbrellas.

DaRC_L

Thanks neilco – off to Copenhagen at the end of July for a week. Glad to see the STW hive mind is still anticipating my needs 🙂

blacka01
    Free Member

I have been living in Copenhagen for the past few years and it’s a fantastic city. Some great advice above, as DrJ says if you like proper beer then Mikkeller on Viktoriagade is a must visit. They have also just opened a new Brewpub in Kødbyen (the meatpacking district) with a great selection of beers of course and also amazing smoked BBQ. Copenhagen also has some excellent cocktail bars, if that’s your thing. If so try Ruby’s, the Library bar at the Plaza hotel (best on a Saturday night when they have live Jazz) and Mikropolis.

On a sunny day the harbour bar mentioned above (Toldboden) is hard to beat. Also just across the harbour on Papirøen, Copenhagen Street Food has a great vibe at the weekend. Torvehallerne is like an indoor market also with a great selection of food stalls – try the steak sandwich at Le Petit. All great places for lunch.

For dinner, Copenhagen is rammed with exceptional but expensive restaurants (13 Michelin stars). Good value is more difficult but Les Trois Cochon or the various Madklubbens are hard to beat on this front. Incidentally if you visit Tivoli (and a lot of tourists do) don’t eat there – overpriced (even for CPH) and very average.

Bike is the best way to get around, the city is a bit big (IMO) to be comfortably walked. And why not in one of the worlds most bike friendly cities. The ‘shopping trolley’ city bikes mentioned above are now discontinued, replaced by a fancy new scheme with GPS equipped electric bikes. Public transport is also very good and the metro and commuter trains (S-Tog) run almost 24hrs. The boat tours mentioned are very good, or for a more quirky slant try ‘Mikes Bike Tours’.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Accommodation suggestions in Copenhagen’ is closed to new replies.