Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AC Separation
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Think I might have buggered my shoulder. What's the real world prognosis?

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Hurts doesnt it?
    I was riding again in 7 weeks.

Onzadog
    Free Member

7 weeks? Guess I'll not be doing my black belt grading on Monday then.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Aye, it would seem that you both have exactly the same "buggered shoulder" condition that takes exactly 7 weeks to heal. 😐

mttm
    Free Member

Depends if you've got a grade 1, 2 or 3 separation. Severed mine completely, was back on the bike very quickly (missed one ride, IIRC), but couldn't steer and it hurt like hell! Took over a year to get back to something like normal, and during that time I rode really badly – I simply couldn't afford to crash.

Now, several years on, it doesn't affect me at all.

PS If you've torn your AC joint, you don't normally "think" you've buggered it – you know!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, the radiologist took one look and said there's no need for an x-ray, she could see I'd "popped my ac". Didn't know what she meant at the time but I'm sat here with my arm in a sling, not wanting to move at all because of the pain. Physio starts on Tuesday. No-one has "graded" the injury yet. Maybe I'll ask the physio. Pretty sure it's buggers and my plans for Monday are banjaxed!

mttm
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry – your plans for Monday are pretty well u/s if they involved a bike. The grades refer to how badly it's gone, IIRC one is a bit torn, two's a bit more torn and three's severed. Mine's completely gone and my right arm hangs about an inch lower at the shoulder. It's a bitch for a long time, although there are surgical options. I was advised to leave mine, and some years on I don't even think about it and it doesn't have any impact on me day to day.

I was back riding very quickly, but like I said, I couldn't steer worth a sh1t(some may say there was little difference). Embrace the physiotherapy, it does make a massive difference, and if you'd like any info, just drop me a line.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Had a grade 3 AC sep last April. Painful (but not in same league as a previously broken femur!!). On road bike (prematurely) at 3.5 weeks and MTB at 7.

Obsessive amounts of physio paid dividends.

Only affects me in which side I roll on to in bed. Surfing and mtb all unaffected.

Hope recovery swift.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Think I might ask for my x-rays when I go in on Tuesday. I'll take them to my osteopath and see what she can do for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘AC Separation’ is closed to new replies.