Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Abu Qatada
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Torture is an abhorrent practice and one that should not be condoned. I am sure that those who displayed a more “consequential” approach to the Breivik case would still find it hard to condone torture despite the fact that UK seem to have bent the limits of international law in the past!

But it is an interesting situation/case that the obstacles to deportation cases have nothing to do with the host nation but only to the “target” nation. I would like to see a list of those nations that can categorically state that they have never used/condoned torture on individuals on trial or as a means to gather evidence. Sadly, I am guessing it would be a short list.

JY – with TM there was a sense of inevitability with this, don’t you think?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Dereks Law?

Yes, but what if he applies the edinburgh defense?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The threads would become tiresome and then closed!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In the spirit of the Torygraph letters section. Overheard last night (in a hospital ward) with reference to Abu Qatada an old lady saying to her son:

“he’s a good looking chap isn’t he?” !!!

duckman

If he is wanted in Spain in connection with the Madrid bombings why not send him there? I thought we now had an extradition treaty with them. Other than Don Simon, the Spanish have outlawed torture.

binners

thm – are you sure she wasn’t watching the Chelsea, Barca game? Pep Guardiola was provoking similar comments in the our house. Not from me, I might add

anagallis_arvensis

I just think if he’s so evil it would be simpler and easier for his to try him ourselves.

anagallis_arvensis

I can see the european question rearing its amusing head amongst Tories here.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The threads would become tiresome and then closed! go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on .. zzzzzzz

fixed

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nope binners, as she showed her lack of cultural sensitivity by adding …”if he had a shave!”

It reminded me of a Les Dawson sketch.

Junkyard
    Free Member

JY – with TM there was a sense of inevitability with this, don’t you think?

Obviously I always think Tories will be brought down by their own arrogance 😉

In all seriousness it was shocking decisions when they had warned her about the date [ he may well have appealed anyway tbh but to jump the gun for the baying crowds of Westminster was rather foolish when just waiting one more day would have been a very prudent and sensible decision.

Surprised her “boss” would approve or some PR goon did not intervene either

Nice Les dawson sketch I love it wehn you get unintentional comedy before your eyes.

Binners you more of John Tery man and like a bit of rough?

binners

I just think if he’s so evil it would be simpler and easier for his to try him ourselves.

Given that Ken Clark said on the Today programme this morning that he hadn’t ever actually seen any evidence against him, there may be a problem there.

I was thinking more Messi actually Junkyard. You could chuck him about a bit

loum
    Free Member

I would like to see a list of those nations that can categorically state that they have never used/condoned torture on individuals on trial or as a means to gather evidence. Sadly, I am guessing it would be a short list.

No that’s most western countries, and their allies where they supply advice and training.
    “Advanced Inrerrogation Techniques” work well enough, torture is not needed. Sadly, it appears that trials or being charged are no longer needed either.

zippykona

From what I understand ,its not about him breaking laws here its about going back to Jordan to serve his sentence. He has been found guilty.
    Why did we not give asylum to bin laden? He was under threat of execution with no trial. Clearly an infringement of his human rights.

rkk01
    Free Member

Memory is hazy – but wasn’t there a time when we were “encouraging” the like of Abu Qatada to live in London?

IIRC our fellow Europeans were getting a little angsty abouth the UK, as they were experiencing radical attacks and we werent???

Lifer
    Free Member

Did Bin Laden seek asylum?

binners

Memory is hazy – but wasn’t there a time when we were “encouraging” the like of Abu Qatada to live in London?

I remember seeing a documentary years ago about it. They interviewed a French Diplomat. He referred to Londonistan. He said it was the French government view that we must be absolutely bonkers to be granting all these Islamist nut-jobs political asylum.

There seems a certain irony to that now the EU is preventing us booting him out

kimbers

binners – Member
    I remember seeing a documentary years ago about it. They interviewed a French Diplomat. He referred to Londonistan. He said it was the French government view that we must be absolutely bonkers to be granting all these Islamist nut-jobs political asylum.

There seems a certain irony to that now the EU is preventing us booting him out

i remember the programme panorama maybe ?

This is the problem with intervening in too many foreign wars, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter, one minute you are having someone bundled on a plane to libya, next minute hes suing you for illegal rendition.
    While we sell armoured landrovers and bombs and send F1 races to bahrain, even yates of the yard has headed over there, we should prepare for the inevitable backlash when the repressed people boot out the current royal family and embrace the radicals we are driving them too!

as for theresa may being unable to fill out paperwork on time? i believe that there is a social event being organised in a beer factory that she should try and sort out first.

rkk01
    Free Member

This gets worse with each news bulletin!

count after me…

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Abu Qatada’ is closed to new replies.